Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying clarinet

Options
  • 30-04-2013 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

hi folks hope you could help me :).. I was hoping to buy a second hand clarinet to have for my school...I've looked at a few on donedeal and adverts (dublin region) but theres such a mixed bag for around the same price (under 200 preferably)and I haven't a breeze about wind instruments. I would have to move on it fairly quick so wouldn't have time to be having chats with someone in a shop (although this is my usual route).so basically..

Clarinet to be durable
    Grade 2 standard
    Easy to play!
    Doesn't squeek!

could you advise on any of the instruments up for offer?

Is there anything I should be looking out for as regards wear and tear for a second hand clarinet.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Go have a look in Waltons on Georges st or McCoullough Piggots on South William St - they get in second hand instruments and they'll make sure they're in good nick before selling them on

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

I can't believe I just lost the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

http://www.paulryanmusic.com/. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

clunked wrote: »

Cheapest one on the site is €500 new but thanks anyway, I know hed probably do second hands but I wanted to know is if the ones showing on adverts or donedeal are any good? Considering most are priced around 200 or less?

Cheers anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

The Jupiter clarinet is a generic version of the Yamaha instrument which retails at €349 and is a good instrument. The mechanism on woodwind instruments is delicate. If you buy second-hand you may buy a very good instrument but spend a fortune on getting it repaired to make it playable. Believe you me, as a pro player myself and one who has taught players from beginner to degree level a reliable instrument is most important. Reputable makes would include Buffet and Yamaha. There is plenty of Chinese made junk out there so be aware of false bargains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The Jupiter clarinet is a generic version of the Yamaha instrument which retails at €349 and is a good instrument. The mechanism on woodwind instruments is delicate. If you buy second-hand you may buy a very good instrument but spend a fortune on getting it repaired to make it playable. Believe you me, as a pro player myself and one who has taught players from beginner to degree level a reliable instrument is most important. Reputable makes would include Buffet and Yamaha. There is plenty of Chinese made junk out there so be aware of false bargains.

Gotcha thanks, suppose I should just take the advice I give to my own piano students!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Samantha4

hi there. I agree with Clunked. Paul Ryan is a superb musical craftsman, and will give you excellent service. Kind of unique sort of craftsman who is good at sales, repairs, etc. A LOT of musicians go to him, or most anyway...don't play clarinet myself.

Advertisement