Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly repellent

Options
  • 30-04-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hey just wondering if anyone has got any fly repellent that works for them, the really bug the **** out of me. I feel so sorry for the horses so any IDEAS :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HopperSheena

Hi Jay Royal, I used to make up a mix/spray using citronella and that worked wonders for me and them. I love the smell of citronella too. Here's a recipe

1.5 litres of cold stewed tea,
    10ml of Citronella,
    500ml of Malt Vinegar.

Put it all into a washed out 2ltr bottle and put into a garden mist spray as and when needed.

Hope this helps : )

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

I find the Super Plus Fly Repellent great, it's made by Barrier Biotech Limited. LINK

For a while I found it hard to find, but I know of a few places that stock it now, so might be able to help if you want to get it.
    Whereabouts are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Garlic supplement in feed seemed to help my daughter's pony last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

dont know if anything will keep bugs away from a lovely warm smelly horse but adding garlic is definately worth trying. Also we make our own "chemical-free"(ish) fly spray with AVON's SKIN SO SOFT, Vinegar, Tea Tree Oil and water. But, Avon unfortunately is 'gone' from Ireland since last week, so not much point in posting the 'recipe' :mad: You could get a fly veil for the horse too

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

Thanks for the replies ill try that spray and the garlic mix , I take it I should spray them daily, is there anything good I can spray on myself without smelling of vinegar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I just used regular vinegar last summer and it worked pretty well - even the lads who were laughing at it initially were using it by the end of the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Salgud

You can order Avon skin so soft from the UK. It's for sale on eBay at times as well. My mix works pretty well.. 2 cups tea, 1/2 c listerine (green), 1/2 c Avon skin so soft, 1/2 c cider vinegar, 5-10 drops tea tree oil, 5-10 drops lavender or neem oil. Pour into lg spray bottle & top with water.

Another good product is from Osmond's in UK. They have a sweet itch oil...works well. Put on rg and apply a light coat. I also feed garlic.

Good luck.

Advertisement