Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding lease

Options
  • 30-04-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

okay so circumstances have changed, and i will be contacting my landlord tomorrow in regards to this, but i might have to break my lease and move out.

the place i was working in has closed and i need to move to cheaper accomodation as i will now be on social welfare and wont be able to afford it

now i have read through the lease and it states i will lose my deposite if i breake the lease early, its at the very end under a headding "Special Conditions"

i know sometimes in a lease there is a break clause which would allow me to leave given a certain amount of notice, but this is not in my lease. i did find this in relation to the lanlord that the lanlord can give me 28 days notice that he/she needs the property

now im wondering where i stand, i doesnt seem fair that my landlord could break the lease but i cant? is this allowed?

either way ill need a reference this week from my landlord and would rather stay on their good side as i have been a good tennant over the last 5 months and there reference is all i need to secure another place

from what iv read its down to the landlord what they want to do in regards to my deposite etc... i am giveing 1 months notice tho and rent is paid in full up until then and iv never been late or caused any problems, so hopefully given my circumstances i might get part of my deposite back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

legally your deposit can and should be held for a rental shortfall unless one of the following conditions is met.

a) you have a break clause (seems you don't)

b) you reassign the lease to somebody else (i.e you find somebody else to take over the lease)

c) the landlord manages to relet the property within the period the deposit would cover (I,e if you gave a months rent as a deposit and the ll gets a new tenant 10 days after your net rent is due you would be entitled to a pro rated return of the deposit minus the ten days, minus letting costs, minus prtb registration costs)

your best bet is to find somebody to take over your lease. If not you should not expect to see any of your deposit back, and rightly so TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

D3PO wrote: »
    legally your deposit can and should be held for a rental shortfall unless one of the following conditions is met.

a) you have a break clause (seems you don't)

b) you reassign the lease to somebody else (i.e you find somebody else to take over the lease)

c) the landlord manages to relet the property within the period the deposit would cover (I,e if you gave a months rent as a deposit and the ll gets a new tenant 10 days after your net rent is due you would be entitled to a pro rated return of the deposit minus the ten days, minus letting costs, minus prtb registration costs)

your best bet is to find somebody to take over your lease. If not you should not expect to see any of your deposit back, and rightly so TBH.

thanks that seems to cover it, so since ill have give notice if i or the landlord was to find someone before the end of the month i might get it back?

either way im not too worried more so about the reference thats the main thing

• Registered Users Posts: 35 its me_330

Id b open and honest with the landlord. Tell him u lost ur job. If uve been a reliable tenant he might have a cheaper property for u. Happened me when i got laid off and told my landlord. If he doesnt he should surely take ur notice and give u a reference since uve never been a problem tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

its me_330 wrote: »
    Id b open and honest with the landlord. Tell him u lost ur job. If uve been a reliable tenant he might have a cheaper property for u. Happened me when i got laid off and told my landlord. If he doesnt he should surely take ur notice and give u a reference since uve never been a problem tenant

yeah i plan on contacting her tomorrow, her other property wont be an option for me as its next door and the same house so i wouldnt think itll be cheaper

the only thing i can do is hope shes okay with me leaving

Advertisement