Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyres for lanzarote

Options
  • 01-05-2013 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Numpty bike question.

I have continental grand prix 4000s tyres for my wheels for races, but they're a bit weathered looking and have a few nicks. Was going to replace them for IM lanza as it's my A race and I dont want puncture problems, but curious if anyone in the know can comment on how much of a battering 4000s are likely to take with the lumps and bumps on the road surface in lanza? I know various folk here here have been out there training or racing, hopefully some of you are more into kit and can comment on whether they're appropriate? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

kingQuez wrote: »
    Numpty bike question.

I have continental grand prix 4000s tyres for my wheels for races, but they're a bit weathered looking and have a few nicks. Was going to replace them for IM lanza as it's my A race and I dont want puncture problems, but curious if anyone in the know can comment on how much of a battering 4000s are likely to take with the lumps and bumps on the road surface in lanza? I know various folk here here have been out there training or racing, hopefully some of you are more into kit and can comment on whether they're appropriate? :)

I had michelin pro4 type tyres for the week i was over there. Plenty of knicks and no issues with punctures, pot luck though. Never tried the 4000s so dont know how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

kingQuez wrote: »
    Numpty bike question.

I commute 20km a day through some lovely areas where Im convinced they smash bottles on the bike lane on purpose also race and train on 4000S - never had any issue and they last forever , pump them once a week to 110/115 , every now and again i'll deflate them and pick all the bits of glass out

Ive cycled them down to where the dimples have disappered and still no punctures - roads in Lanza are good anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZZJ

I'm planning to use grand prix 4000s's there as well, and I have talked to a few people who have done Lanzarote before and they said they would be fine, but there are sections where the road is not great, so you can be unlucky, but you can be unlucky with any tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hunkymonkey

There is really only one bad section, the left hand turn after Nazerath (sp?). It's about the 145k mark. It's a brutal road, lasts for about 5k. I seen a lot of punctures there, there's nowhere to cycle on it to get decent surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

There is really only one bad section, the left hand turn after Nazerath (sp?). It's about the 145k mark. It's a brutal road, lasts for about 5k. I seen a lot of punctures there, there's nowhere to cycle on it to get decent surface.

Is that the road to San Bartolomew? I heard there is possibilities of it being re layed this year. I lost a filling and drink bottle on that section.....rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hunkymonkey

It's the road that comes Arrieta to Tahiche, then head back to Teguise but turn at Nazerath. It's downhill essentially from Mirador Del Rio all the way to Tahiche but ya start to climb a slight incline but usually into the wind to just before Nazerath. It brings ya back onto main road that goes north of San Bartlome.
    The profile shows that the last 20k is downhill but I found it slightly technical that I couldn't get too much food & drinks on board as I had planned.

As for tyres, roads are grand apart from section mentioned. I actually brought my commuter bike as I wasn't very fit. I'd booked my Da to go so only did as he would think I was a blouse if I didn't.

Advertisement