Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun in garda storage

Options
  • 01-05-2013 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I had an incident with a shotgun 5 years ago the gards took the gun from me afer it was discharged in a public area the gun has been in storage for the past five years i was taken to court and charge with discharging it in a public place i,m going to meet the seargent tomorrow about trying to renew my license on it or else get it sent to a dealer to get it sold what is my chances of getting my license back or has anyone any previous experience on this matter? Thanks in advance for any advice on the subject..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Given the nature of the offence and the fact that it was serious enough for you to be taken to court I'd say you haven't a hope of getting another licence imo. Were you convicted?

Best you can hope for is having it sent to a dealer to be sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Iwas charged with the offence in court yes but i had a word with a local garda and he said they had taken guns from people in the past on similar offences and they got them back i know it,s wishful thinking . ah i,m not thinkin i,ll get it to be honest it,s worth a try though cheers for your thoughts on the subject lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

no Patrick Nally didnt get his gun back - And to be honest that last post about somebodys father / brother / son being shot - no matter who was right or who was wrong is totally inappropriate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

apoligies didn,t mean to offend anyone edited and removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Based on:

Discharged in a public place; Padraig Nally as a comparison; Username ('Madchild'? With a gun? Seriously); and shocking punctuation (Typing on fully auto?)

I'd have to say, I hope the chances would be slim to nil.

Edit: Mostly the first reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

madchild wrote: »
    apoligies didn,t mean to offend anyone edited and removed.

No offense to me anyway lad - just a comment like that could come back around to bite ya - still a very sore subject in Ireland and will be for a long time I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

You are probably best to get a new hobby, perhaps archery?
    I personally know someone who had his gun taken by the Gardai after he threathened his wife with the use of it. Verbally threathened you understand, not actually physically holding it. After 5 years and at least 5 different court appearences/ appeals, he got it back.

On a totally unrelated theme, if anyone reading this knows a friend or relative who is depressed and talking about suicide, will you please take some steps to ensure that they have no access to a firearm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

To be honest I hope you don't get your licence or shotgun back, ever.

There should be zero tollerance of criminal activity with legally held Firearms, from Poaching to other moronic activity.
    And not only with the Firearm involved, but all held.

By the way, a Pro-Poaching remark like in the locked Phoniex Park Thread will be interesting reading for the AGS when they have a look see, you do know how easy it is to put a real life address to a IP address don't you???

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

I don't know who you are but I would have to agree with alot of the previous posters. It's hard enough being a licence holder in this country without people discharging legally held weapons in public no matter what the reason. Any person who does it should never hold a firearms certificate again IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I think you are being a little hard on the OP without knowing the circumstances. Discharging a gun from a public area could mean taking a safe shot from a public road - into a field for instance. Yes , I know this is still wrong but after 5 years most people have learned their lesson ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

recipio wrote: »
    I think you are being a little hard on the OP without knowing the circumstances. Discharging a gun from a public area could mean taking a safe shot from a public road - into a field for instance. Yes , I know this is still wrong but after 5 years most people have learned their lesson ?

I agree, I left a negative comment for him, after finding out the circumstances behind the incident, I apologise for my comment. For me 5 years would be a long time away from my sport!

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Legally, if there was no custodial sentence and the OP wasn't bound over to keep the peace, the terms of which included not having a firearm, he's legally entitled to apply for a licence.

Practically, I wouldn't waste the ink or the paper in the form.

what did you do madchild to get it taken away?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

I belive every one deserve a second chance, once you can prove your self to the gards that you are now a saft sutoble charactor now.
    My i ask what actualy happened that landed ya in trouble or is that a privet matter???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

It can be done.. It has been done.. Might not get it this side of a decade though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Would be interested to know the finer details also, not being nosy, but in general its not bad to know when and how these things happen, lessons learnt etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Because you have "previous", I reckon the Gardaí will look very harshly on your application for a licence. You'll have a job to convince your Super that you are the type of person that they feel comfortable issuing licences to.

That said, I don't know you or your circumstances. Maybe it was a silly mistake that you made for which you have now atoned for. Maybe it was a highly dangerous act, I don't know.

Meet with the Gardaí first, maybe try meet with the Super as he makes the decision on whether you get your licence or not. If you can convince him that you are responsible and won't do dumb stuff again, then go ahead, apply for the licence.

It costs nothing to apply for a licence apart from a bit of ink. It only costs you money if you are granted the licence. If you get refused, you are no worse off.

To be totally honest, I wouldn't be that forgiving of someone using a gun to commit an intentional criminal act as every criminal act by someone with a gun makes life just that little bit more difficult for us law abiding firearm owners. A stupid mistake I possibly could forgive, but if it was done with "intent", or maybe you just aren't the type to be allowed a gun, then I wouldn't be in a rush to issue a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

@ recipio

"Discharging a gun from a public area could mean taking a safe shot from a public road - into a field for instance."

Are you for real....!!
    . Firearm Act 2009.. reckless discharge of a firearm
    There is NO "Safe" or legal shots from a public road.
    Dont think opinions with illegal advise is sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

recipio wrote: »

Agree, people here too quick to jump to conclusions, as for the grammer/spelling I have seen a lot worse on here that my 2 year old grandson would do better with. We do not know the circumstances surrounding the case,everyone deserves a chance, if it serious enough he will not get a licence, I have known people to get their licence back, also I can tell you now I personally know a guy recently who came off his motor bike,got injured ambulance came spotted a pistol/revolver on this person, Gardai called arrested him,he held a number of firearms,they were taken off him,he was prosecuted recently in court for possession of a unlicensed firearm,convicted, lost his licences for the firearms he had, NOW listen to this:eek: the judge told him he could re-apply for a shotgun licence if he wishes to do so. This was in the past 4 months I kid you not,so there is hope yet lad,apply and let it run its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Without seeing this post in full before he realised he went into to much detail and went back to edit, then apologised for the post afterwards.
    madchild wrote: »
    Iwas charged with the offence in court yes but i had a word with a local garda and he said they had taken guns from people in the past on similar offences and they got them back i know it,s wishful thinking . ah i,m not thinkin i,ll get it to be honest it,s worth a try though cheers for your thoughts on the subject lad.

all we have to go on is doing a 1+1 on theses two threads below.
    endacl wrote: »
    Based on:

Discharged in a public place; Padraig Nally as a comparison.

And the only post before the edit is this one.
    no Patrick Nally didnt get his gun back - And to be honest that last post about somebodys father / brother / son being shot - no matter who was right or who was wrong is totally inappropriate

As for anyone being Shot!!!
    Defend those actions at your own peril. (Hello to all the good members at the AGS)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

the judge told him he could re-apply for a shotgun licence if he wishes to do so./QUOTE]

Of course he can, just like anyone is entitled to do. Getting it granted is a different story. He probably wont get it. But the judge coudn't stop him applying for one even if he wanted too. Anyone can send one in.

Same deal if a garda says he can apply and he might get it or even should get it, talk is cheap and unfortunately in instances like this not worth the paper its written on.

I don't understand why people are so quick to judge the op without the details on his case. As has been said he might just have been caught shooting from the road, not recklessly discharging his gun in a public park or the like.

The OP should just apply and see what happens, all they can do is say no. Its impossible to judge how successful he will be, especially without knowing any more about the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

@ recipio

"Discharging a gun from a public area could mean taking a safe shot from a public road - into a field for instance."

Are you for real....!!
    . Firearm Act 2009.. reckless discharge of a firearm
    There is NO "Safe" or legal shots from a public road.
    Dont think opinions with illegal advise is sensible.

An illegal shot can be safe in practical terms. It does not have a bearing on the legality of it. It would not be advisable all the same.

I'm curious, nosey, as to what the op did exactly but that's between him an the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

You might as well just come clean and tell us what exactly happened for you to get the gun taken off you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ghost. wrote: »
    Of course he can, just like anyone is entitled to do. Getting it granted is a different story. He probably wont get it. But the judge coudn't stop him applying for one even if he wanted too. Anyone can send one in.
    As long as they are not dis-entitled.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

On a lighter note, back in the early 90's a good friend of mine had his shottie taken off him while investigation took place. The Guards had it for a number of months (it was a big mis understanding) My friend got the gun back eventually and it looked like something you pulled from the bottom of an arms dump :D 101 new scratches and the barrels were patched with rust ! It was a brand new Winchester and the lad had been working night and day to save up for it, he hadnt even fired a box of cartridges out of it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Cass wrote: »
    As long as they are not dis-entitled.

Dis-entitled to hold a firearms certificate but not to apply for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Being a license holder for any firearm is a massive responsibility. You have to make sure its always discharged legally and is stored safely no grey area with that atal. Stupid people with no real respect or knowledge about handling and discharging firearms are gona be the reason why were all gona end up with water guns and bows n arrows up the field not the vegetarians or tree huggers. One mistake reckless action should result permanent removal of licensing RIGHTS.

Advertisement