Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding birds

• 01-05-2013 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

This isn't 'pet' related, but a colleague told me that I shouldn't put nuts and seeds out for the wild birds in my garden during the spring because they will take the food back to the nests and nuts will choke the little chicks.
    Is this true? I always thought that wild birds regurgitated food for their young.
    I would hate to do harm.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's ok as long as you feed peanuts from a mesh feeder, so that the parent birds are pecking off bits of peanuts, rather than taking the whole nut. I think it's important to feed them at this time of year, they've so much hard work to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I feed the birds all year round. Usually seeds, over-ripe fruit and left over soft foods liked mash and pasta(cooked). I had our back door open this morning and heard a lot of commotion in the kitchen, when I went in there were 2 swifts or housemartins, not sure which, flying around the kitchen:). They flew back out safely, thankfully Felix was asleep on the sofa and Jazzy was elswhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 short_of_cash

Birds start to depend on feeding grounds so we always advise if you feed them...feed all year round....

Isn't it lovely to see tits in your garden all year

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Palx

I put a block of cooking lard in my feeder. Lasts much longer than the fat balls and half the price.
    They seem to like it.

Advertisement