Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing bikebox with Aer Lingus

Options
  • 01-05-2013 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Heading to Lisbon this weekend for half ironman.
    Just wondering if anyone knows the story re weight restrictions for bike boxes... or the likelihood of being chared if over weight?
    Tks

Thread title should be Bringing bikebox with Aer Lingus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I flew in the opposite direction with Aer Lingus. I'd a touring bike and lot of other crap inside a bike bag. It was definitely over the weight restrictions, but nothing was said (in fact I can't even remember it being weighed) and I wasn't charged any extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Havent had any problems in the past, no t&cs about the weight anywhere, and the ticket doesnt specify a limit. I've only ever thrown related bits into the box though (bike shoes, trackpump, wetsuit).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Oh, and good luck! looking forward to some reports from this race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Aer Lingus say there is a 15kg limit on bike boxes. I haven't been charged for being (a little) over yet. This is one case where ryanair is definitely better, as they allow 30kg for bike boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I thought this was going to be a bisexual thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I have flown with bike box 2 or 3 times with Aer Fungus and got away with 25kg. Pot luck who you have at the desk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Can we have the title altered to make it clear this is NOTHING to do with sexuality please? #Disappointed.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Flew with them this week. Limit is 15kg, but if you have booked luggage as well ask them to pool weights together. I didnt get charged a surcharge on this trip, but did before. It depends on the airport, and the staff. I would advise keeping as much out of the box and in other luggage as possible anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Flew to Prague and back 2 years ago with 30kg in a bike box... no issues.

That said, I prefer to fly Ryanair with a bike as they allow 30kg and you can book it in on line. Aerlingus used to make you phone up after booking your flights to book a bike and would only take 6 on each flight.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Aerlingus used to make you phone up after booking your flights to book a bike and would only take 6 on each flight.
    Still do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oryx wrote: »
    Still do.

Madness. One of the reasons I flew to Prague and not Vienna... they could not confirm that they would have space for my bike.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Madness. One of the reasons I flew to Prague and not Vienna... they could not confirm that they would have space for my bike.

My box has been on at least 6 ryanair flights without a mark on it. This time it looks like someone dragged it behind a car, destroyed with scrapes all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

If you have a bike box that is no bigger than the oversize baggage size and weight limits then you can just check it as an extra piece of checked luggage. I do this semi-regularly without a problem. Costs a bit if you're traveling long haul. I use the DHB Elsted bike box and it's heavy. Can just bring my bike in it and I'm pushing 22 or 23kg (and my bike is no more than 8 or 9 complete with bells and whistles) but has given complete protection to bike with over 40,000km of air travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

2 years ago going to Frankfurt almost everyone got hit with extra charges on the aer lingus flight I was on. Huge money was paid out by 2 in my group. Depends on person u get at check-in for heavy luggage. Ours was a real pain in the ***.

Its 15kg and he played it by the book, which I have no problem with.

Coming back was no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I assume you have the flight booked already but I see ship my tri bike have Lisbon in their plans

http://www.shipmytribike.ie/

catweazle wrote: »
    I assume you have the flight booked already but I see ship my tri bike have Lisbon in their plans

http://www.shipmytribike.ie/

Whether I'd use something like this or not depends on the size of the bag they let you bring and how long out before the race they colllect the bikes.

I believe for Irish pick ups going to Continental IMs its 10 days. Thats just too long for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    Whether I'd use something like this or not depends on the size of the bag they let you bring and how long out before the race they colllect the bikes.

I believe for Irish pick ups going to Continental IMs its 10 days. Thats just too long for me.

Going to Lisbon this weekend he picked up the bikes on Tuesday of last week (to be fair, Lisbon is one hell of a drive). He landed in Lisbon on Tuesday of this week, so you would be without race bike for 7 days+. Gives you plenty of time to check out the bike before race day, and who doesn't have a second bike they could ride for that missing week? I'd defo use them if possible.

BTH wrote: »
    Going to Lisbon this weekend he picked up the bikes on Tuesday of last week (to be fair, Lisbon is one hell of a drive). He landed in Lisbon on Tuesday of this week, so you would be without race bike for 7 days+. Gives you plenty of time to check out the bike before race day, and who doesn't have a second bike they could ride for that missing week? I'd defo use them if possible.

How many people have two race bike set ups?

tunney wrote: »

Looks to me from the website like its only a bag to bring your tri gear, wetsuit, cycling shoes, runners etc. In fairness its prices are reasonable for something that saves so much hassle. Perhaps with the owner and I presume driver based in Ireland you might have a little more leeway as regards transportation but perhaps not as he has to go to the UK as well before he gets there.

Its a handy idea though, if I do one i would have to build a holiday out of it so it would be great to get rid of the bike after as I am sure I wouldn't want to look at another bike for months after

It would want to be some sized truck to make money after the outgoings involved in each trip based on his prices

Looks to me from the website like its only a bag to bring your tri gear, wetsuit, cycling shoes, runners etc. In fairness its prices are reasonable for something that saves so much hassle. Perhaps with the owner and I presume driver based in Ireland you might have a little more leeway as regards transportation but perhaps not as he has to go to the UK as well before he gets there.

Its a handy idea though, if I do one i would have to build a holiday out of it so it would be great to get rid of the bike after as I am sure I wouldn't want to look at another bike for months after

It would want to be some sized truck to make money after the outgoings involved in each trip based on his prices

I priced up van + driver + expenses + insurance to do myself. If I got 30 people it was €120 break even to Austria. That was bike in box, full of stuff plus an additional bag. Anyways............ Those days and worries are behind me

• Advertisement

On reflection I am a cranky fvcker.

Traveling with a bike is a b1tch. This seems like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

One of the lads from TriLakes was telling me last night, theres a few heading to Austria this year which I believe is a pain to get to (?).

Using Shipmy Tribike they are only travelling with handluggage. All other gear, in a gear bag is travelling with their bikes.

Now that's a pain free way to get to and from races!

You'd be suprised how many bikes you can fit in the back of a van. I'd x12 MTB's plus gear bags and 6 passengers going to Scotland in 2007.

(Original ShipMyBike) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

One of the lads from TriLakes was telling me last night, theres a few heading to Austria this year which I believe is a pain to get to (?).

Using Shipmy Tribike they are only travelling with handluggage. All other gear, in a gear bag is travelling with their bikes.

Now that's a pain free way to get to and from races!

Would you believe one of them blagged an entry months after the event closed and was sold out. He's some smooth talker! He even got it at the normal price too :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Would you believe one of them blagged an entry months after the event closed and was sold out. He's some smooth talker! He even got it at the normal price too :pac:

I assume we are talking about the carpetbagger here, in fairness he has given WTC so much money over the last few years, they probably have dollar signs attached to his contact email

pgibbo wrote: »
    I assume we are talking about the carpetbagger here, in fairness he has given WTC so much money over the last few years, they probably have dollar signs attached to his contact email

If its the lad I'm thinking of I'd be surprised if WTC haven't provided him with an account manager in the same way Vegas looks after the high rollers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

LOL.....it is indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iarmhi1975

I used Ship My Tri Bike for Lisbon. What a relief. I have a hard case bike box also, it has been used 4 times and one of the wheels are bust. Came back from last trip with damaged wheels.

With ship my try bike I handed over my bike knowing that I would get it back that way. Gave them bike pump, wetsuit, helmut and shoes in a bag.

Collected it beside registration and the best bit was after the race I walked 100 meters from transition with my bike and handed that and the bag over. What a relief. Great Great Service.

Advertisement