Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magician's End available to preorder on Kindle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think the last one of Feist's books I read was the one about the lizard people, how many are there now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

have they gotten any better? I remember a long time ago the print size on his books suddenly doubled and the amount of pages in a book shrank at the same time.. the quality of the story went downhill too. stopped reading him after that

might have been prince of the blood

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's been available for over a month and, all the better for me, it was about 3 euro cheaper when I ordered it :-D

Thought it was the end of May though. Looks like it's the next book that I'll be reading.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just read the first 2 books in this series recently, will be getting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

have they gotten any better? I remember a long time ago the print size on his books suddenly doubled and the amount of pages in a book shrank at the same time.. the quality of the story went downhill too. stopped reading him after that

might have been prince of the blood

They have their moments. I don't think anyone would describe his latter work as being very good, I think it's downhill all the way after the Serpentwar Saga and that itself had problems. I think Trojan on here described it as popcorn fantasy and it's fairly accurate, you don't have to think very hard but it's enjoyable enough after its own fashion.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    It's been available for over a month and, all the better for me, it was about 3 euro cheaper when I ordered it.

Boo hiss! I just got an email from Amazon yesterday, I assumed it was freshly up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

nesf wrote: »
    They have their moments. I don't think anyone would describe his latter work as being very good, I think it's downhill all the way after the Serpentwar Saga and that itself had problems. I think Trojan on here described it as popcorn fantasy and it's fairly accurate, you don't have to think very hard but it's enjoyable enough after its own fashion.

I agree.....they are a nice relaxing read. I finished the Darkwar about a month ago. Doing a bit of history/current affairs reading atm. Got the DemonWar books lined up after that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The quality of Mr. Feist's works, to me, have been highly variable. Sometimes excellent high fantasy - other times fairly ho-hum. I've re-started reading his last few books- fairly good, and I hope this last novel finishes on a high as the Magician was one of the first fantasy books I've read.

I think the series reached its nadir with the Krondor books but some of the recent ones, in the Darkwar saga, have picked up the stakes. Popcorn fantasy is pretty accurate mixed with a healthy dose of nostalgia. I believe I've been reading this series for about 22 years now, which far outlasts - for me - any other series so I'm sad in a way that I'll be seeing the end of Pug's adventures.

ixoy wrote: »
    I think the series reached its nadir with the Krondor books but some of the recent ones, in the Darkwar saga, have picked up the stakes. Popcorn fantasy is pretty accurate mixed with a healthy dose of nostalgia. I believe I've been reading this series for about 22 years now, which far outlasts - for me - any other series so I'm sad in a way that I'll be seeing the end of Pug's adventures.

I'm almost happy about it, (I think 21 years for me) for too long now he's had to come up with various reasons why the enormously powerful Pug couldn't just fix things when they came up. He really fell into the trap, and left a warning for other writers, of creating a god and then trying to figure out how to contain him for the rest of the series because he'd raised the stakes too high for Midkemia to survive without Pug, Tomas et al.

• Advertisement

I just saw this in Waterstones today: Half Price if pre-ordered there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Finished on Kindle. I enjoyed it. A tad self-indulgent but a fine swan-song to the series.

Manach wrote: »
    Finished on Kindle. I enjoyed it. A tad self-indulgent but a fine swan-song to the series.
    Agreed. Lots of nice nods for the fans from the whole series and it felt suitably epic. Felt we got proper closure. Not perfect, as the b plot wasn't nearly as interesting but overall I'm happy and it's easily one of the best of his books in the last ten or fifteen years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It was one of the better riftwars, you saw somethings coming but others were unexpected. *sniff sniff at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Just finished this, it was the best book in the series for a good while.

There was many ups and downs in this whole series since Magician first came out but overall a thoroughly entertaining journey

Thank you Mr Feist:)

Advertisement