Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV with IR and Wifi

Options
  • 01-05-2013 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I want to install a CCTV camera to cover a driveway for up to 150 yards. I want it with Infra Red and Wifi, and an auto focus lens with a TVL of 500+.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what camera and where to get it.

As to why, I got pissed off when someone stole about 150 litres of heating oil and then threw away or stole the vent cap. I am fairly remote so am easy prey when I'm not there. Feck! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

A friend of mine recently got an ip camera that connects to the wifi and Is viewable from his phone . The pan and tilt can be controlled but I must check with him first to see what the picture quality is like .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Probably something like this
    http://www.wansview.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

A friend of mine recently got an ip camera that connects to the wifi and Is viewable from his phone . The pan and tilt can be controlled but I must check with him first to see what the picture quality is like .

Thanks TB2. I'd be interested to hear what model your friend got and what their view of it is.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Probably something like this
    http://www.wansview.com/

Thanks KK. I'll add it to the list that I am considering. I would rather go by recommendation than just picking one just from internet reviews, you never know when you might end up with a right lemon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I've a Foscam at home for keeping an eye the kids, it's been faultless; I'll be adding an external one to the network shortly to watch over the cars and house. Great bit of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

To cover 150 yards and expect to get useable footage with a standard camera is a big ask.
    A ptz or static camera with a built in zoom on motion detect , Samsung scx would work

Jnealon wrote: »
    To cover 150 yards and expect to get useable footage with a standard camera is a big ask.
    A ptz or static camera with a built in zoom on motion detect , Samsung scx would work

Ah, yes, you're right. I didn't explain myself very well, quite apart from "driveway" which sounds a lot better than it is. In reality it's a farm track, but I don't need to cover all of it. If I can cover say the 50 yards nearest the house that would do nicely.

I'm not sure what sort of distance CCTV can cover with good resolution so as to be able to read car numbers and identify individuals. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

And thanks all for your advice, it is very much appreciated.

EDIT: I have googled Samsung scx and got a wall mount for a cctv. Do you have any more details? Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

To read car registrations at any sort of distance is very specialized & expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I have three of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-camera-Pan-Tilt-2-ways/dp/B00432J56G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367524942&sr=8-1&keywords=ip+camera

They are pretty good but don't expect too much, I have mine indoors looking out the window, the night vision doesn't work in this case unless the outside is lit because the infra red light just reflects off the glass back at the camera.

You wont be reading reg numbers or anything off the pictures they capture - I have mine set up to send an email when they detect motion.

But like you I live in an isolated spot so it is peace of mind to be able to open up an app on my phone and look at the live feed from the three cameras and pan around whenever I want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Apologies, I didn't see the distance you wanted to see. The Foscam really wouldn't be what you're looking for here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

Advertisement