Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat a game from your backlog this April: May Edition

• 01-05-2013 2:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

And so May begins. . .

Still plucking away at Anno 2070. Though I think it's fair to say I'm not going to finish the Campaign now keep playing stupid* "continuous games" and currently have two running that I've yet to finish. Probably won't finish one either because I screwed up in planning and basically have to demolish about 1/3 of a residential area.
    *Stupidly addictive. Terrific in everyone other sense.

Bit Trip Runner is a lot of fun but it seems like some levels are just far too long. Still Persistence is the name of the game here.

Solved a whopping total of 5 more puzzles in English Country Tune. Some are downright devious and the last one was purely on a basis of trial and error. So much for actual "solving." Game would be a lot better if you had more options of which puzzle to do. The level design is good but having only two, or sometimes, one of each type open to you can drive you nuts.

Hitman : Blood Money. Two levels done. I'd say the hiatus has begun for now.

Just bought Fez, heard great things about that, but I don't think it constitutes a back log entry. So too Fifa 13, which I've already managed to put over 50 hours into. Also got Command and Conquer Generals and have already sunk my teeth into the Campaign on hard. The game is a lot easier than I remembered but it's still a heck of a lot of fun. U.S still my fave faction because I love aerial stuff in games. GLA though are so much fun to just mess around with on a normal game. Or play as U.S and capture a GLA supply depot. Then you can build anything. :D And who doesn't love SCUD storms?

Recently got started on Mark of the Ninja terrific game so far.
    Considering starting Antichamber.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Seriously distracted by Go so these are very much aspirations!

XCOM - Enemy Unknown, it is criminal that I have not done at least two campaigns of this but I keep getting distracted.

Fantasy Wars - Russian spiritual sequel to one of my favourite games of my teenage years Fantasy General. Full of hilarious UI bugs like "UI_Element_Reset" showing as tooltip text for some buttons and so on. The game itself is fine, just some botched UI stuff. Perfectly playable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Completed Bioshock Infinite

Tomb Raider - it's ok, enjoying it enough, dipping into here and there in between other games

Monaco - waiting for 4 people , well....3 people to even get the game so I can do the coop :P

Then there's the huge back catalogue, but no plans in touching them till i've the above done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

dark souls - completed it once before , but trying to complete it this time on a sl1 character so should keep me going for the month

black ops 2 - about 1/3 way through, liking it though :) story is keeping me interested , only wished i completed bo1 story first because their seems to be a cross over of sorts between the years

should be alright for the month now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

still beating the game from april. dishonored. then im not sure its probably Tropico4 for the laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm going to beat minecraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This month I aim to finish 'Quantum Conundrum' (PS3), 'Dead Or Alive 5' (PS3), 'Hitman: Absolution' (PS3) and 'Perfect Dark Zero' (Xbox 360) even though I really am not enjoying it.

In reality, I'll probably get none of these done. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Starcraft 2 for me.

I also, for the first time ever, won a game of Civ V on a one city challenge. It's great fun, actually.

Up next ... Planetside 2. Oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Ratchet and Clank - was enjoyable

Rayman Origins - took a year but finally bet it. Amazing game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Came close to finishing Darksiders 2 but then Planetside 2 dug its addictive claws back into me and i lost the last 2 weeks of april to it. If i can shrug it for just 1 week i probably could put Darksiders 2 happily in the completed column but thats gonna be difficult as i keep finding new things to enjoy about PS2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

nesf wrote: »
    Seriously distracted by Go so these are very much aspirations!

Ohhh, used to play on KGS, these days just have a couple of slow games running on DragonGoServer. If you fancy a game there hit me up. I'm about 12kyu, and happy to play handicap games against stronger or weaker players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

all I have on my to do list this month is Mars Wars : Logs and i need to have it done before may 20th, expansion for sto is out then

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I plan to finish Bioshock Infinite this week and get a start made on my first Dark Souls playthrough over the long weekend. And whenever the pounding I get from Dark Souls becomes too much to handle I will play Spyro to recover. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Failed the previous month or two. I've "borrowed" my sister's DS so I'm playing through the games I missed while the thing was relevant. Currently stuck into zelda: spirit tracks, and enjoying it. Started pokemon white 2 and ace attorney also, will return to them once I've finished zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I aim to beat beat Tomb Raider and Castlevania on Xbox and Metal Gear solid 4 and Sabatouer on PS3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

My brother gave me a lend of his PS3 so I have:

Uncharted 1
    Uncharted 2
    Uncharted 3

On PC, and if I get the time:

Dishonored
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Want to beat prof layton 3DS that I've had for weeks and then I think I might the final nail in FF13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I have a huge list of games to even start playing, let alone finish off playing. I will get home later and have a gander and what I can get through before the month is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

folan wrote: »
    still beating the game from april. dishonored. then im not sure its probably Tropico4 for the laugh!
    Dishonored, you playing the main game or are you on to the DLC? I've got all the main game stuff done and the Knife of Dunwall DLC. Have just started on the Dunwall Trials DLC and not much done. It's very challenging.

I got Dragon's Dogma done now, but will level up some more to go to that new region from the expansion.

I finished BioShock Infinite.

Pretty sure I finished Deus Ex Human Revolution in April too.

Oh, and I did the Assassin's Creed 3 DLC, the 3 episodes of that DLC the last of which came out a week or two ago I guess.

As for this month? I'm mostly looking forward to Metro Last Light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've gotten Morroblivion up and running (Morrowind running on Oblivion's engine) so that's my new game that'll keep me busy for a good while, hopefully.

The Thief games have been gathering dust and I keep meaning to play them so this weekend I'll get cracking on Thief 2.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I've gotten Morroblivion up and running (Morrowind running on Oblivion's engine) so that's my new game that'll keep me busy for a good while, hopefully.
    You really ought to post something as to how good that is when you've had some time with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Pushtrak wrote: »
    You really ought to post something as to how good that is when you've had some time with it.

Yeah start a thread or something will you? I tried to get into Morrowind but I couldn't stick the graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Starcraft 2 for me.

I also, for the first time ever, won a game of Civ V on a one city challenge. It's great fun, actually.

Up next ... Planetside 2. Oh wait.

Wait a second... it is actually possible to finish a game of civ?!

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah start a thread or something will you? I tried to get into Morrowind but I couldn't stick the graphics.
    Morrowind is a great game. I think its better than Oblivion or Skyrim (at least when you take them as products of their time) though it isn't exactly accessible. The combat, for instance with how important your skills are and how much your hits will miss when at a low level. No enemy scaling, so there are some areas you really don't want to go near while a low level. No quest compass, you are given directions by NPCs that take a form similar to how you'd describe how to get somewhere... "When you see a landmark, go this way until you see this, and then go...." and you have to keep an eye out for where you are going.

No fast travel in the instant travel sense, but there are lots of means of travel, a giant bug, boats, mages and if you have a long trek to make to get somewhere, you have to kind of plan where you are going. The story is quite enjoyable. Had lots of fun with the guilds, too. When the game first came out, the journal was crappy. They came out with a GOTY edition that fixed the journal so you could find the active quests and it included two expansions. I've spent countless hours on Morrowind on the Xbox and PC, both the regular and GOTY edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'll start a thread when I can comment more on the game. I played a bit of the original Morrowind but the combat threw me off, plus I played it after Oblivion so it felt like a downgrade to me. I probably would've liked this game a lot if I had played it when it came out.

I've spent about 2 hours on it so far and it's essentially Oblivion 2 minus the voice acting (you can download voice acted packs people are making) but the text is well laid out and easy to read (you can get different mods that lays it out). It acts like how you would talk to people in Oblivion with close-ups of their faces and the dialogue list.

The game plays exactly like Oblivion, it carries over pretty much everything from Morrowind (characters, music, weapons, skins, monsters, locations, etc) and all quests and factions fully work while keeping some of Oblivion's features like fast travel and quest markers.

I loved Oblivion, more than Skyrim, so it's nice to be back in the game but with all new stuff to do. There's bugs but I haven't come across any yet and I don't think they're anything game-breaking.

Only thing about it all is that it's a mess to set up and install. It's not hard but it takes time and there's a lot of files you need along with GOTY editions of Morrowind & Oblivion but it looks like a solidly built mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Grimebox wrote: »
    Wait a second... it is actually possible to finish a game of civ?!

My next challenge, try and raze every other city in the world from this starting point. Fairly sure that won't be possible to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm going to try to finish Mysteries of the Sith and the Ghost Recon expansion packs.

I was thinking of starting up Star Wars X-Wing and Might & Magic 8 but those would take all year!
    all I have on my to do list this month is Mars Wars : Logs

Is this any good? i can't find any decent reviews for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ohhh, used to play on KGS, these days just have a couple of slow games running on DragonGoServer. If you fancy a game there hit me up. I'm about 12kyu, and happy to play handicap games against stronger or weaker players.

12k where? :)

I'm back after a longish break somewhere around 8k KGS/10k EGF at best. I've no idea what that translates to in DGS terms, myself and turn based aren't getting on well, I keep getting depressed and stopping playing with the resultant bunch of time outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I plan on beating Far Cry 3 this month. Following that I might start God of War: Ascension.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Working my way through Tomb Raider- enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, and when I complete it I'll go back and get all the collectables I missed. It annoys me that there are online trophies though, otherwise I would have given it a go to platinum it. Online trophies- actually multiplayer in general on games like this annoy the hell out of me.

Also giving Lego Lord of the Rings a bash, hilarious game and one that I will definitely platinum I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

My next challenge, try and raze every other city in the world from this starting point. Fairly sure that won't be possible to finish!

I have never managed to finish any game of civ ever is what I meant...

Advertisement