Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predict the result of the 2013 Lions Tour.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

I think someone needs to start a world XV thread for this debate.

my point wasnt to start a debate about a world XV (feel free to though) but merely to highlight that while this is a good lions touring party with few areas of real weakness,there are no areas of absolute brilliance either.I look at australia and likes of genia,o connor,beale if on form are capable of making those breaks and provide that bit more spark than i think the lions backline is.The lions defence will need to be brilliant to hold them out over 3 tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Series Draw
    my point wasnt to start a debate about a world XV (feel free to though) but merely to highlight that while this is a good lions touring party with few areas of real weakness,there are no areas of absolute brilliance either.I look at australia and likes of genia,o connor,beale if on form are capable of making those breaks and provide that bit more spark than i think the lions backline is.The lions defence will need to be brilliant to hold them out over 3 tests.

The Australians will have to contend with BOD, North, Bowe, Sexton and Manu Tualagi

All world class players capable of ripping up any defense

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

trouttrout wrote: »
    The Australians will have to contend with BOD, North, Bowe, Sexton and Manu Tualagi

all good individuals but quickly creating a slick unit with good backs moves and good understanding isnt easy.
    no guarantee all you listed will even start and if you had to pick them apart-

BOD-still a good player but laughable to say he is still regularly ripping defenses apart.theres a reason hes close to retirement.

North-quick and strong.hard to put down yes but hes no jason robinson/shane williams in terms of elusiveness/pace,stepping etc. he can be harnessed and often is.

tuilagi-some games he very good,some hes poor and virtually anonymous.decision making and handling still need work

sexton-good all round flyhalf but hes no carter. still yet to fulfill his talent on international stage and truly dominate games (kidneys fault i expect)

bowe-just back from injury and has been a while since he has been in top form.good finisher but hes hardly up there with habana,sivivatu,savea etc is he?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

North-quick and strong.hard to put down yes but hes no jason robinson/shane williams in terms of elusiveness/pace,stepping etc. he can be harnessed and often is.

There isn't a winger in world rugby who isn't harnessed from time to time. Robinson and Williams had their own issues facing much larger opponents (I remember Williams being run over by Rougerie about 5 times in a match, including for two tries). Lomu never scored against South Africa.

Sexton it no Carter, but I'd handily take him over anyone the Aussies can put in the 10 jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Itoa

Wallabies 3-0
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    There isn't a winger in world rugby who isn't harnessed from time to time. Robinson and Williams had their own issues facing much larger opponents (I remember Williams being run over by Rougerie about 5 times in a match, including for two tries). Lomu never scored against South Africa.

Sexton it no Carter, but I'd handily take him over anyone the Aussies can put in the 10 jersey.

If Deans had any cop-on he would have Cooper straight into the 10 spot, fair enough he didn't do to good in the World Cup but having watched him in the SXV I reckon he is as good as any number 10 in the world bar Carter. Hopefully I get to see him in the first test, just got my tickets yesterday!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wallabies 3-0
    I reckon a 2-1 win for the Lions, but it won't be easy, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Series Draw
    2-1 to the Aussies.
    We'll take the first, then they'll hit their stride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Series Draw
    trouttrout wrote: »

Genia, Cooper, O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper, Cummins, McCabe, Beale, Ioane. Watch Israel Folau hit his straps too. Horne, White, Tomane and Vuna also worth some analysis.

Aussie have great backs. Front-five is where they'll suffer a bit, but as with the last 12 years, gameplan adapts around their weaknesses and focuses on their strengths.
    Great to see Palu back again in the backrow. George Smith will make a retun and will accompany Hooper, another expert deck operator. Ball carriers, offloaders and fetchers galore.

Saying all this I wouldn't be surprised if Australia took the Brisbane test actually.

and an edit: Forgot Berrick Barnes. Quality stock in that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Series Draw
    Itoa wrote: »
    If Deans had any cop-on he would have Cooper straight into the 10 spot, fair enough he didn't do to good in the World Cup but having watched him in the SXV I reckon he is as good as any number 10 in the world bar Carter. Hopefully I get to see him in the first test, just got my tickets yesterday!:)

Story of Cooper's career though, can tear it up there but has never been able to step it up. Shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Series Draw
    all good individuals but quickly creating a slick unit with good backs moves and good understanding isnt easy.
    no guarantee all you listed will even start and if you had to pick them apart-

BOD-still a good player but laughable to say he is still regularly ripping defenses apart.theres a reason hes close to retirement.

tuilagi-some games he very good,some hes poor and virtually anonymous.decision making and handling still need work

sexton-good all round flyhalf but hes no carter. still yet to fulfill his talent on international stage and truly dominate games (kidneys fault i expect)

bowe-just back from injury and has been a while since he has been in top form.good finisher but hes hardly up there with habana,sivivatu,savea etc is he?

Some ridiculous exaggeration in the above

Comparing Sexton to Carter for example. And tbh, I don't think there's a whole pile between the two

Also, on BOD, he ripped it up in his last two outings, name me a 13 who rips it up in every game?

And North actually has a very good step, but comparing him to Robinson and Williams is pointless considering they offer completely different things. You could do the same with Lomu

Advertisement