Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 5 EURO NOTE

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

oldyouth wrote: »
    Ah now, you've got it all creased up already.

Actually it was the shop keeper.. I was planning on auctioning it off on ebay :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Jello wrote: »
    Why does it need two fives printed on the front? Looks silly.

You mean just like the old one does :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Got one handed in to me in work today. Yes, I tried to tear it.

It tore just as easily as one of the old notes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Haha yes i tore my one too!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Got a wad of them in the shop till. They feel really weird (not paper-y at all). They look like monopoly money :pac:

Though thinking for too long about money makes me existential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Esoteric_ wrote: »

Actually an offence to do so :D

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1930/en/act/pub/0030/print.html#sec5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Fiskar wrote: »

Are you going to handcuff me, officer? ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

They're nicer looking than the soon to be replaced model, that's for sure. Have one here beside me, and I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Was in the shop today and i was handed a new 5 euro note and i heard nothing about them at that time and was just looking at ur wan like wdf.Anyone else have the same reaction haha.They look nice, something new i suppose i add that to the banknote album.One of a few hundred i have haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

1shot16 wrote: »
    Was in the shop today and i was handed a new 5 euro note and i heard nothing about them at that time and was just looking at ur wan like wdf.Anyone else have the same reaction haha.They look nice, something new i suppose i add that to the banknote album.One of a few hundred i have haha.
    They're re doing them all. Just started with €5 note for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

€5 coin would've been handier.

Would be handy if they made smaller note like a 2 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I thought it was a counterfeit at first.

Feels kinda plasticky

Dartz wrote: »
    I thought it was a counterfeit at first.

So did i but a very bad one haha

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Threads merged. Please use the search function before starting a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

That reminds of my sister. She had been living in London. While she was away they introduced a 20p coin. On a visit home she was given change including 20p coins. She made a scene by going back to the counter and telling them they'd given her foreign coins.

To make it worse, she worked for Bank of Ireland............in the currency section. No she isn't blonde.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

No-one told me -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Kinder Bueno

Is it me or does the new €5 note tear too easily? I went out on Saturday night and got two of new notes back in change from the barman and when I woke up the next morning one was completely torn in half and the other was torn a good bit too. A mate has also noticed this.

Also, some machines don't seem to recognise them as I went to pay for parking today and the damn machine kept rejecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

LizT wrote: »
    Threads merged. Please use the search function before starting a new thread.

And again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My own mum got the new fiver in a pub after having her lunch one day.

I had a look at it myself after a classmate showed it to me last week. From seeing it, it didn't look too bad. I haven't felt it though as of yet. He had mentioned that some people would go into any bank & would ask a teller to make cash withdrawls with the new fivers. They would apparently be cleared out within an hour or two of being in the till.

It could explain why some people are getting so many of them now.

Also Tescos are attempting to get their self service tills upgraded to accept the new notes. That would probably take a couple of weeks to sort out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I like the new design but say the old design be around a while yet.

All the new ones I've got so far are torn!
    Yes, they do tear... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We have it in Ireland too.

In fact we can go one better in Ireland, we have contactless payments.

So does Denmark

In fact, the first place I used my (Irish) NFC card was on a vending machine in Copenhagen Airport. BOI charged me nearly as much in fees as the product cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Esoteric_ wrote: »

I did this too - got one the other day and because of this thread thought they were like the plastic aus/NZ notes and tried to tear them. It was not a good idea, it tore very easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

MYOB wrote: »
    So does Denmark

In fact, the first place I used my (Irish) NFC card was on a vending machine in Copenhagen Airport. BOI charged me nearly as much in fees as the product cost!
    A lot of whats happened in European payment systems seems to be a case of reinventing the wheel for the sake of it.

Much ado was made about how insecure it was to have signature based card authentication.

But in the U.S. while credit cards still use that, ATM/Debit card standards such as NYCE, Maestro etc have (for decades now) used Swipe-and-pin. Very simply, you swipe your card in the reader, key in your pin, and (more often than not) you can get cashback as well (no need to go to the ATM, generally speaking).

Contactless payments? Again, utterly pointless. In the U.S. one of the few changes they've made to the system in recent years is to not require any authentication for purchases under $15 ... sound familiar? Contactless payments here also require no authetication for purchases under €15 (i.e. you just wave your card at the machine) so if you want to steal or use a lost/found credit card to fraudulently buy a Big Mac, the procedure is almost identical, whether it's just plain old mag stripe in the U.S. or a chip+rfid card here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If your phone supports NFC there are plenty of apps that can read some of the data on contactless cards

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=nfc

Money can be extracted from a card via
    - magnetic stripe
    - chip and pin
    - contactless if you get close enough ( which can happen if you try the first two)
    - using the card number in a "customer not present" transaction

This is why we will need €5 notes.

A necessary step would be for financial institutions to go back to the system where they took the risk instead of passing on the risk to the consumer. The key point here is that it used to be in the financial institutions own interest to reduce fraud. When the customer takes all the risk there just isn't the same incentive. ( It's trivial to skim chip and pin with a man in the middle attack using a dodgy reader )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Got one yesterday, didn't realise till later that it was already torn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I came across one abroad last week. I immediately tried to rip it - no problem there at all. It does seem a bit smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

God, the new s euro note does not look nice, reminds of American dollers which I think look like monopoly money. :pac: Why did they decide to change it anyway?:confused:

• Advertisement

All the new ones I've got so far are torn!
    Yes, they do tear... :rolleyes:
    And I wonder why they're all getting torn...
    Birroc wrote: »
    I immediately tried to rip it - no problem there at all.

Advertisement