Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish food!

Options
  • 01-05-2013 7:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to bring over Irish food (no fridge stuff or cheese or anything like that!) to someone who is living abroad. Any suggestions, Irish or Corkonian?

Anything from tea to Taytos to biscuits or even some small non-food items too!

Also, where can I buy a basket in town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Ballymaloe relish

Beamish

Tanora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭RoisinRoseDubh

Tanora - I forgot about that! How about TK Red Lemonade?

Also, marmalade and jam might be a nice addition :)

Thanks for your Tanora reminder - no food gift would be complete without it :) I wonder is it possible to get small bottles...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Tanora - I forgot about that! How about TK Red Lemonade?

Also, marmalade and jam might be a nice addition :)

Thanks for your Tanora reminder - no food gift would be complete without it :) I wonder is it possible to get small bottles...

Possible to get 500mls of Tanora.

Great, I shall search the city today ;)

Apparently Mikado biscuits etc aren't available in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

My sis in law was abroad and she used to ask for chickatees and snax when anyone was visiting.
    Another one thats popular is flavins oats if the eat porridge. Dont forget the barrys!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Great, I shall search the city today ;)

Apparently Mikado biscuits etc aren't available in the UK?

Yes, they are. I've seen them in Tesco and Asda. Bring the Clon saussies and the white and black puddings too! :D

Taytos are definitely on the shopping list.

Has anyone seen Tanora in any of the shops in Cork City or anywhere in the suburbs (north side...)? Also, somewhere with baskets for about 10 quid?

Any suggestions you post here will be added to my list :) Particularly interested in anything "nostalgic". I just bought some of the stuff now...mainly sweets...must think of something savoury.......it's making me hungry...

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

They have the old fashioned packaging on Tayto in Tesco at the moment, would look great if your making up a hamper -

http://www.worldirish.com/story/24634-the-new-tayto-packets-in-irish-as-gaeilge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Have you tried a florist's or florist's supply place for a basket?
    Get them a packet of Mikado and of course a packet of chocolate Mikado, maybe a good loaf of brown bread, and Erin (or other Irish brand) packet soups and sauces always seem to go down a storm with the Irish abroad! Cadbury's chocolate, Bisto gravy, my neighbour who lives in NY always wants curry sauce mix when I go over! It's the simple things!
    Oh and I know they're like gold dust but try to get your hands on a couple of Tayto bars, yuck but they deserve to try them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

mawk wrote: »
    Ballymaloe relish

Beamish

Tanora

I think you'll find Beamish is Dutch now. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

we sent a package over to my brother in canada at christmas. we sent so much stuff but off the top of my head we put in:

Double deckers, midget gems, fruit pastilles, meanies crisps, digestive biscuits, nice biscuits, TUC biscuits/crackers, club rock shandy, lilt, tea, ballymaloe relish, chef ketchup, salad cream, chip shop curry powder, a tin of roses, galaxy and cadburys chocoalte, baked beans, spaghetti hoops and the erin packages for shepards pies or savoury mince.

mimihops wrote: »
    They have the old fashioned packaging on Tayto in Tesco at the moment, would look great if your making up a hamper -

http://www.worldirish.com/story/24634-the-new-tayto-packets-in-irish-as-gaeilge

Cool!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Have you tried a florist's or florist's supply place for a basket?
    Get them a packet of Mikado and of course a packet of chocolate Mikado, maybe a good loaf of brown bread, and Erin (or other Irish brand) packet soups and sauces always seem to go down a storm with the Irish abroad! Cadbury's chocolate, Bisto gravy, my neighbour who lives in NY always wants curry sauce mix when I go over! It's the simple things!
    Oh and I know they're like gold dust but try to get your hands on a couple of Tayto bars, yuck but they deserve to try them!

I haven't seen the Tayto bars in Cork but if anyone has seen them...direct me and I shall follow! Thanks for the florist suggestion.

nursemar88 wrote: »
    we sent a package over to my brother in canada at christmas. we sent so much stuff but off the top of my head we put in:

Double deckers, midget gems, fruit pastilles, meanies crisps, digestive biscuits, nice biscuits, TUC biscuits/crackers, club rock shandy, lilt, tea, ballymaloe relish, chef ketchup, salad cream, chip shop curry powder, a tin of roses, galaxy and cadburys chocoalte, baked beans, spaghetti hoops and the erin packages for shepards pies or savoury mince.

I love the fact that you said "digestive biscuits, nice biscuits" :D Every Irish household as digestives and then the "good" biscuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I love the fact that you said "digestive biscuits, nice biscuits" :D Every Irish household as digestives and then the "good" biscuits!

Ha ha. Nice are a type of bscuit. Very tasty but not too good for dunking.

.red. wrote: »
    Ha ha. Nice are a type of bscuit. Very tasty but not too good for dunking.

Doh. I remember them now - the big sugary ones :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Can't beat Bourbon's for dunking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Brown sauce and Barry's Tea :pac:

I did a big shopping trip this morning and bought the stuff. I tried three shops for the Tayto Chocolate thing but I'd say it's sold out in most places and wasn't stocked in others.

Hi RoisinRose, don't know if it helps but I think the tayto bars were/are only available in Spar shops.

• Advertisement

Yep, after a little bit of research I realised that they are only in certain shops. I'll keep an eye out but other than that, I guess we'll have to wait in anticipation...

Sure they're rotten anyway, don't worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Brown sauce and Barry's Tea :pac:

YR and Barry's Tea. ;)

When I lived in the UK my Mam used to send me a 'Cork' hamper with Taytos, Tanora, Kimberly and Mikado bikkies (which I have always hated), Silvermints, Ispini sausages, Clon black and white pudding, smoked back rashers, pork steak, bags of clove rock...and the Holly Bough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chasingthesun

Butlers chocolates.
    As mentioned before, definately Ballymaloe relish.
    The Langer bar from Half Door sweet shop in Maylor street.
    Kalipso bar and Macaroon bar.
    Boiled sweets.
    Bunratty Meade.
    Baileys.
    Because soda bread falls apart with long transport too easily, how about one of these kits "make ur own Irish soda bread". the kit includes all ingridients and its available in bigger souvenir shops:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

watch out for import rules

Advertisement