Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for a payrise works.

Options
  • 01-05-2013 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Asking for payrise is one of the hardest things for employees to do. At least for me it was.

But at the start of the year I made my case to my boss for a pay increase coupled with significant reasons supporting it.

A couple of weeks ago I heard I would get 10% pay increase.

I have no doubt if I had of not bothered saying anything I would have received the minimum...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Does your employer / company have an annual apprasial procedure?

This can usually be the most appropriate forum to raise this issue, and where the various pros and cons for a possible raise can be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Does your employer / company have an annual apprasial procedure?

This can usually be the most appropriate forum to raise this issue, and where the various pros and cons for a possible raise can be discussed.

Yes but by the time the pay review occurs its normally already decided and in stone. Whatever pay increase budget is available has been divded out amongst everyone... The year before I got a pay increase and while it was reasonable it was not what I expected but nothing could be done..

I decided to make my boss aware that I expected a pay increase above the normal due to the extra work etc and doing lots of stuff that others on my level would not do.

It wasn't nearly as scary as I imagined and the outcome was really good.

Would encourage others to do the same... If you are doing your work, taking on extra tasks, responsibility etc. Employers are using the recession to try and dodge pay increases, even companies that are doing well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Yes but by the time the pay review occurs its normally already decided and in stone. Whatever pay increase budget is available has been divded out amongst everyone... The year before I got a pay increase and while it was reasonable it was not what I expected but nothing could be done..

I decided to make my boss aware that I expected a pay increase above the normal due to the extra work etc and doing lots of stuff that others on my level would not do.

It wasn't nearly as scary as I imagined and the outcome was really good.

Would encourage others to do the same... If you are doing your work, taking on extra tasks, responsibility etc. Employers are using the recession to try and dodge pay increases, even companies that are doing well...

Fair play, 10% is indeed substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Lucky you, a lot of us are getting pay reductions, I have just had my second reduction in 3 years.

Where do you work again? ;)

I have to agree if you dont say anything you dont get anything and are leaving the whole decision in someone elses hands. They will in general apply the basic rules to simplify the pay increase process.

as you went out of your way to ask it promtped your manager/HR? to consider your pay increase more.

Fair Play to ye!

Advertisement