Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast in brown bread?

Options
  • 01-05-2013 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I'm experimenting with the whole bread thing.

So far, I have managed to get a really decent brown bread thanks to this very forum. I've also nailed the whole pizza thing, so I am doing something right when making dough, whether it is brown or white.

My question is, would yeast work with wholemeal flour? I get the fact that baking soda+sour milk makes brown bread rise, but before I waste ingredients and an hour, I was jut wondering if there is any reason not to use yeast with brown bread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'm experimenting with the whole bread thing.

So far, I have managed to get a really decent brown bread thanks to this very forum. I've also nailed the whole pizza thing, so I am doing something right when making dough, whether it is brown or white.

My question is, would yeast work with wholemeal flour? I get the fact that baking soda+sour milk makes brown bread rise, but before I waste ingredients and an hour, I was jut wondering if there is any reason not to use yeast with brown bread?
    No reason at all.
    Brown yeast bread can be quite heavy, though so don't have the brown /white mix too brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No reason at all.
    Brown yeast bread can be quite heavy, though so don't have the brown /white mix too brown.

Grand so do you reckon a 1/3 brown to 2/3 white mix would do it? As opposed to half/half.

Might give it a try this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I do a 70% wholemeal / 30% white mixture most times. I also find a 100% wholemeal loaf a bit heavy and also it doesn't rise as well as when you add some white flour as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I normally use about a 70/30 mix as well. I also throw in a handful of seeds (normally linseed, sunflower seed, barley and sesame seeds)

Why do you specifically want to use yeast? I'm only asking because I personally prefer my wholemeal bread without but each to their own I guess!

Merkin wrote: »
    I normally use about a 70/30 mix as well. I also throw in a handful of seeds (normally linseed, sunflower seed, barley and sesame seeds)

Yeah, I happened to have some flax seeds lying around, so I threw a few in last time I made brown bread and it was delicious.
    Merkin wrote: »
    Why do you specifically want to use yeast? I'm only asking because I personally prefer my wholemeal bread without but each to their own I guess!

Primarily because I find it hard to get sour milk where I am (not in Ireland). And using vinegar/lemon juice to sour milk isn't the best option, imho. Whereas, I have a small jar of dried yeast that I can whip up in a matter of 10-15 minutes.

Convenience, really. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Ah ok! All becomes clear! :) I live in the UK and I have to get my buttermilk with my weekly shop in Tescos or Sainsburys - a lot of convenience stores simply don't stock it - standard back in Ireland but not here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Natural yogurt works brilliantly instead of buttermilk, I use it all the time. Tesco, Lidl or Aldi own brand low fat natural (live) yogurt makes a lovely brown loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

yeast bread and soda bread are completely different beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Primarily because I find it hard to get sour milk where I am (not in Ireland)
    Where are you as a matter of interest? A lot of different cultures (no pun intended!) have dairy products that are very similar to buttermilk, but just aren't called that, which would probably have the required degree of sourness for making soda bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

It is possible to make a light brown wholemeal loaf using yeast. The trick is to use a ferment or poolish, which not only lightens it but will make it really flavorsome. It's typical of French wholemeal bread, as influenced by eastern bread making techniques. Also, french bread has a higher water content, which helps with lightness. I'm sure there recipes around the web.

The Doris Grant loaf is typical of heavier brown yeast dough. It's almost cakey, but I find it delicious nonetheless. And it's so quick and easy to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Also, if no butter milk is available readily, you can make your own by adding lemon juice. If I recall correctly, it may be a teaspoon per pint. I'll double check when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Also, if no butter milk is available readily, you can make your own by adding lemon juice. If I recall correctly, it may be a teaspoon per pint. I'll double check when I can.

I do this all the time, I haven't bought buttermilk in a year. I know the OP says that they dont think it works as well, but I find it excellent, I use the juice of half a lemon with 500ml milk and leave it 5 minutes to get nice and lumpy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

huskerdu wrote: »
    I do this all the time, I haven't bought buttermilk in a year. I know the OP says that they dont think it works as well, but I find it excellent, I use the juice of half a lemon with 500ml milk and leave it 5 minutes to get nice and lumpy.

I've tried this approach several times, and I've never gotten lumpy milk. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! At best, it looks a bit thicker after time for me.

huskerdu wrote: »

I wonder if I am doing it wrong?

The (fresh) milk is usually straight from the fridge when I add lemon juice. It never seems to curdle for me, so I get impatient and just lob it in anyway.

Should it be at room temperature?

Interesting point on the natural yoghurt - no issues getting that here.
    Alun wrote: »
    Where are you as a matter of interest? A lot of different cultures (no pun intended!) have dairy products that are very similar to buttermilk, but just aren't called that, which would probably have the required degree of sourness for making soda bread.

In the Middle East. There's a local variant, labneh, which I believe is strained yoghurt. Might try that to see how it goes.

The purists always warm the buttermilk, some even warm the flour, when making soda bread.
    I'd say room temperature milk would curdle faster but I find a teaspoon of vinegar or 2 teaspoons of lemon juice sour the milk plenty, it doesn't get as thick as buttermilk or even particularly lumpy but still does the job!

dee_mc wrote: »
    The purists always warm the buttermilk, some even warm the flour, when making soda bread.
    I'd say room temperature milk would curdle faster but I find a teaspoon of vinegar or 2 teaspoons of lemon juice sour the milk plenty, it doesn't get as thick as buttermilk or even particularly lumpy but still does the job!

Don't get me wrong, the brown bread with the "soured" milk and baking soda does turn out well, I just wonder if I got real soured milk how much better it would be. I have even tried it with fresh milk and it turned out fine.

I find if I sour the milk myself (by looking sternly at it :) ) the bread has a less 'sharp' taste, not a fan of the aftertaste of bread made with buttermilk, that's why I use the yogurt, think I get a better texture too

Well this is looking good. Leaving for an hour or two more before I put it in the oven.

Can't wait to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeast feeds on sugar and gives off carbon dioxide gas as a waste product.

With soda bread you are mixing an acid & base mixture to give off the carbon dioxide gas in a different way.

The baking soda is the "base", the buttermilk/lemon juice is acidic and is what reacts. So you will need something acidic in there, vinegar should even work but might taste nasty.

If you have too much acid, or too much "base" then your bread might taste sharp, or taste of excess bread soda which was not neutralised fully.

When I make pancakes I sometimes add bread soda to the mix of milk, flour, egg & sugar. I add lemon juice in at the very end, this causes the reaction right before cooking, so the bubble do not have time to dissipate. My mixture is more liquid though so I can get away with it. While a thicker mixture might not allow lemon juice to be added later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Although its already been said, there's no problem making yeast-based whole meal brown bread...but adding white will make it lighter.

My "stock" bread is typically 1/4 to 1/3 white, with the rest being a mix of whatever is in the press...rye, spelt, buckwheat, multigrain, wholemeal...they all get thrown in.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »
    Although its already been said, there's no problem making yeast-based whole meal brown bread...but adding white will make it lighter.

I went for a 70/30 spilt, wholemeal/white and it was fantastic. Much lighter than the soda bread I made before, exactly what I wanted.

I'm getting to like this whole experiment thing.

Up next: tomato and herb bread. Stay tuned.

Advertisement