Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GW36 Captain Poll

• 01-05-2013 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭

Can imagine this ending up 80% in Bale's favour. I need to make up points so considering all other options, but he really is the standout choice.

Who to captain? 114 votes

Bale (Southampton H + Chelsea A)
    0% 0 votes
    Vertonghen (Southampton H + Chelsea A)
    75% 86 votes
    Hart (Swansea A West Brom H)
    0% 0 votes
    Nasri (Swansea A West Brom H)
    3% 4 votes
    Tevez (Swansea A West Brom H)
    4% 5 votes
    Aguero (Swansea A West Brom H)
    6% 7 votes
    Yaya (Swansea A West Brom H)
    3% 4 votes
    Zabaleta (Swansea A West Brom H)
    0% 1 vote
    Hazard (Man United A Spurs H)
    0% 0 votes
    Luiz (Man United A Spurs H)
    0% 0 votes
    Lampard (Man United A Spurs H)
    0% 0 votes
    Mata (Man United A Spurs H)
    0% 0 votes
    Michu (Man Cith H Wigan A)
    1% 2 votes
    Kone (West Brom A Swansea H)
    0% 0 votes
    Benteke (Norwich A)
    3% 4 votes
    Walcott (QPR A)
    0% 0 votes
    Santi Cazorla (QPR A)
    0% 1 vote
    RVP (Chelsea H)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Only one man as you say.

%D0%B3%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%82+%D0%B1%D1%8D%D0%B9%D0%BB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I can't imagine anyone but Bale, he's a guaranteed starter playing for a club who are chasing a Champions League position. City players are too much of a rotation risk with the cup coming up.
    C'mon GB!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

I can't imagine anyone but Bale, he's a guaranteed starter playing for a club who are chasing a Champions League position. City players are too much of a rotation risk with the cup coming up.
    C'mon GB!!

Yeah same thinking here, Chelsea have too much rotation risk with the Europa cup too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

It's boring though, takes the captain out of the gameweek. And for those chasing a lead it's pretty frustrating. I'll be keeping a close eye on Tevez and Chelsea's MF players. If there is confirmation that they will be starting both games I may have a gamble. It will be -EV though, Bale is a clear distance ahead of the pack.

Also I don't really fancy watching Spurs play TWICE and hoping he does nothing. Didn't work out too well when I didn't have RVP the other week...

roryc wrote: »
    It's boring though, takes the captain out of the gameweek.
    Depends on your position in your league. It's grand if you're top as people have to differentiate to gain points and there's not many great options there this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i love Bale being the obvious choice, being in the lead in any league I care about.

you get to see those chasing you make weird decisions to try and desperately catch you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

4th in a league with mates, all will captain bale...gonna have to risk a Nasri captain

Depends on your position in your league. It's grand if you're top as people have to differentiate to gain points and there's not many great options there this week.

I'm top in any of the money leagues I'm in, and I'm way off in any of the other league's with cash prizes. After RVP the other week my season was effectively over! My only aim is to get back into the top 10k within the next three weeks. After an 8 point hit this week I'll be on 2003 points which is 31 points off the top 10k, so gambles are needed...

Risking the Bale captaincy this week is a wild gamble that I wouldn't even consider any other week of the season, but tbh if I finish outside the top 10k I couldn't care less if it's 11k or 50k. I'm just weighing up whether it's doable to make up 30 points excluding this weeks captaincy, which will basically be void if I give it to Bale.

If Tevez is guaranteed to play both, which we probably won't even know, then it could be worth it. I would expect Bale to pull in of 10-15 points over the two games. Tevez, Aguero, Mata, Hazard are all capable of beating this. And Bale could flop! His first three games this season he score 5 points total... **clutching at straws**

Despite all this I'll more than likely give it to Bale, seems idiotic not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

KingJamsie wrote: »
    4th in a league with mates, all will captain bale...gonna have to risk a Nasri captain

I'm in a similar position but hoping to make up the ground in other ways. No point in losing all the ground to Bale...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Captain Bale. Find differentials elsewhere.

• Advertisement

if you captain someone else, and it works out, you'll have got so so lucky it's untrue.

as FG says, it's one of those weeks where you'll have to find the differentials elsewhere.

i can't wait to see some in my leagues captain Walcott, Lukaku, Mata or even weirder, in an attempt to do something special.

i had someone captaining Sessegnon this week in one of my leagues for instance.

I think Lukaku could be a cheeky punt too! He's West Brom's main man at the moment. Could be a good gamble for anyone looking to think outside the Bale box!

roryc wrote: »

If Tevez is guaranteed to play both, which we probably won't even know, then it could be worth it. I would expect Bale to pull in of 10-15 points over the two games. Tevez, Aguero, Mata, Hazard are all capable of beating this. And Bale could flop! His first three games this season he score 5 points total... **clutching at straws**

Despite all this I'll more than likely give it to Bale, seems idiotic not to.
    Just can't see Bale not turning up, he's a big game player and all of Spurs' remaining games are big 'uns! Plus his home game is against the Saints who're missing two first teamers this week. I had originally been looking at bringing in Aguero for this week and giving him the armband but injuries and uncertainties have deterred me but if I had Tevez then I might be more on the fence as to who to choose for captain. I still have RVP, I'm finding it hard to cut the apron strings on Robin but I think this week is when we'll part company!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Invincible

Poll defective, voted for Aguero, no vote registered!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

SlickRic wrote: »
    i love Bale being the obvious choice, being in the lead in any league I care about.

you get to see those chasing you make weird decisions to try and desperately catch you.

And what's even funnier is when the weird decisions see them fall further down the table.

This last few gameweeks is where some really go into silly season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Invincible wrote: »
    Poll defective, voted for Aguero, no vote registered!!

it's got 'not voting for Bale' idiot-proofing built in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Going for Walcott, maybe I'm mad, but who knows.

if you have Bale, yes you are a bit.

:P

i fully expect him to get at least an assist all the same. i just think the Bale potential is too big to risk anyone else.

he's central to everything.

if you have Bale, yes you are a bit.

:P

i fully expect him to get at least an assist all the same. i just think the Bale potential is too big to risk anyone else.

he's central to everything.

While I agree, I'm like 70 points behind the next person in a league I'm third*, so I figure what have I to lose. Plus Arsenal vs. Qpr, and Arsenal with something very tangible to play for, could be a bloodbath.

*said second before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Im going Bale but i feel Kone could be the highest pts scorer this week. Wigan have 2 great fixtures and really need the points. Its now or never for Wigan so I expect them to attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

As most others have said, it has to be Bale.

- In great form
    - Guaranteed starter in both games (barring injury)
    - His team needs results in both games

Tevez, Aguero, Nasri, Yaya all likely to only start one game, due to the Cup Final.

Mata, Hazard etc prone to rotation and have 2 tricky looking games.

As I'm leading my ML it's a complete no-brainer.

if you captain someone else, and it works out, you'll have got so so lucky it's untrue.

I agree. I'm just weighing up whether it's worth the risk on Bale or concentrate on differentials. 30 points is a lot to make up. Besides I'm due some f**king luck. Vertonghen hat-trick ftw

Still think I have to captain Bale. It is boring though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I watched Bale the last two games and he is patently not fit, he still picked up great points but I mean last weeks was complete luck. I may very well side with him, but I certainly dont think it is as clearcut as some are making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

I watched Bale the last two games and he is patently not fit, he still picked up great points but I mean last weeks was complete luck. I may very well side with him, but I certainly dont think it is as clearcut as some are making out.

Nice to hear a rare alternative view from someone who actually watched both games. I heard he (and Spurs) were very poor for a large part of Man City game, and as you said Bale's points against Wigan were unbelievably poxy.

Nevertheless, since his move into central position (after Utd game where Rafael and Jones double teamed him on the left wing) he is as good as Ronaldo in terms of FF. It is scary to think if he had been in this position at the start of the year.

Furthermore there are no obvious alternative captain picks this week IMO.

WHatever about the wiseness of not captaining Bale this weekend, to say there are no other captain choices is patently untrue. There are a number of others who could outscore him.

WHatever about the wiseness of not captaining Bale this weekend, to say there are no other captain choices is patently untrue. There are a number of others who could outscore him.

Who?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Who?

Anybody! You saw Bentekkers last week... Tevez, Aguero, Lukaku, Mata, Hazard and Kone seem most likely. If you aren't chasing a lead and have Bale it would be retarded to not captain him.

But if you're chasing a lead it might be the time to take a risk. Whoever you pick will be about 6/4 to beat Bale so you'll be relying on luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Mata if he plays both. Id like an alternative to Bale but there's no point in being stupid hes the obvious choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Well obviously there is! Anyone could outscore Bale. He could get injured 2 minutes into the 1st game and everyone else on my team would outscore him!!

The question is, if you look at these things logically, you really have to pick Bale as captain if you have him. It's the equivalent of backing the favourite in a horse race.

The fact that Bale hasn't played well the last two games only makes it more logical, given that he scored highly in both. When Ronaldo was FF gold a few years back he had games where he did nothing for 85 minutes and walked away with 15/16 points. Bale seems to be this years equivalent.

If you go with an alternative captain and it works, thats great. However if Bale was to keep up his average over the last 10 games of 10 points per game, thats a 40 point captain everyone else has that you don't, putting you a further 20 points behind (assuming you have him but don't captain him)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Argument all comes down to position in private league IMO

If leading: Bale as Beinmar said (nice analogy with racehorse)

If chasing: Alternative as Roryc said is not a bad idea

If leading though I maintain there is no logical alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

im captaining bale no need for me to take a risk but I think Chelsea will get a clean sheet against spurs.

moreau wrote: »
    Argument all comes down to position in private league IMO

If leading: Bale as Beinmar said (nice analogy with racehorse)

If chasing: Alternative as Roryc said is not a bad idea

If leading though I maintain there is no logical alternative

Yes I understand the need for a differential, but I am asking who do you feel could potentially outscore Bale over 2 games. Apologies if I sounded curt earlier, but I am genuinely interested. The fact that Joe Hart has 3 votes on the poll says loads imho.

If I was 40 points behind a leader (as I am in one of my leagues), I couldn't captain anyone except Bale regardless.

Joe Hart would be a crazy pick. At best you would be looking at ~13 unless he saves a penalty.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yes I understand the need for a differential, but I am asking who do you feel could potentially outscore Bale over 2 games. Apologies if I sounded curt earlier, but I am genuinely interested. The fact that Joe Hart has 3 votes on the poll says loads imho.

If I was 40 points behind a leader (as I am in one of my leagues), I couldn't captain anyone except Bale regardless.

I'd have to agree. Captaincy choice can be key to losing points as well as gaining them.

No point taking an unnecessary risk IMO. Look at other ways of getting the points rather than an unnecessary captain choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

if Mata doesn't start tonight COULD be an option. don't think i'll have the cojones to take it off Bale though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bale is the logical option but I'm surprised at the general feeling that he is the only option. Keep in mind one of his opponents are a Chelsea team that are also fighting for CL qualification; I'm not sure he's going to get much of a return in that game, while Southampton can be unpredictable.

I will likely go with Bale, but I wouldn't be as confident as others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

i'll go with Bale too but there are other great options and someone will outscore Bale but good luck now trying to guess who that will be.

Mata looks a decent option now having been rested tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Lemlin wrote: »
    Mata looks a decent option now having been rested tonight.

+1 im second in my league top and 3rd will cpt Bale I want to go with mata but don't want to lose second place. Fairly sure top can't afford Mata unless he sells RVP. . Unlikely hes been talking hits last few weeks to buy the players I've bought the weeks before. . Im catching slowly but 40 behind. . The obvious choice is still Bale 11:29 Saturday morning ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Kinder Bueno

Poll needs more Lukaku.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Shutter Island

I'm going with Defoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Poll needs more Lukaku.

Yeah very surprised Hart is included in the poll and no sign of Lukaku. Also no votes for Michu in a Swansea double gameweek is quite extraordinary in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I've gotten a sudden urge to switch to Kone. Time to go and hide the internet until 11:31 tomorrow methinks!

jebforever wrote: »
    Yeah very surprised Hart is included in the poll and no sign of Lukaku. Also no votes for Michu in a Swansea double gameweek is quite extraordinary in my opinion.

+1 on Lukaku.

I think the lack of votes for Michu further indicates how off the boil he and Swansea are at the moment. They had their beach wear on after the cup final! :pac:

Advertisement