Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great GoT One Liners

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Book spoiler ahead
    In the books when Catelyn Starks body is thrown into the river at the Twins after the Red Wedding, she washes up as a zombie and heads around hanging men who betrayed her and Robb. That's the gist, I forget specifics, but her not appearing in the show at all was a bit crap, she was a cool character to have in the background and the Hound pissing in a stream seems to be a **** you to Lady Stoneheart fans.
    In the books Arya is a warg and sees things through her direwolf Nymeria. Nymeria pulls Catelyn from the river after three days. The Brotherhood without Banners find her but because she has been dead so long it is a lot harder to resurrect her and Dondarrion sacrifices himself so she can return. The hound pissing in the lake is the fans take on the show writers pissing on the speculation of her returning.

Personally I never liked the LS storyline but I would've liked to have seen the relevance (if any) of Arya being a warg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I haven't laughed harder since Tyrion described Shagga, son of Dolf, as looking like "Casterly Rock with hair". He got a bit bored with Shagga's regular threats to chop off his manhood and feed it to the goats ... :pac:

+1 for Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"

edit: I just remembered a great one from Littlefinger: "Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

"A man can go kill himself." - Arya after she gives a man his own name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I know it's not a one liner and it's not a show line but a book one, from a relatively minor character
    (Hugo Wull)
    . Everyone remembers Lord Manderly's speech but this doesn't get as much love even though it's just as good. Will put it in spoilers...
    Corliss: Do you want to die, Wull?

Hugo: I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fúck all night.

What men want does not matter. Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter.

Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.

Such a shame that those last three sentences didn't make it into the show somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

This has to be my favourite Littlefinger line "Chaos isn't a pit, chaos is a ladder."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Can't believe this wasn't mentioned.

The Hound: 'The greatest swordsman who ever lived, killed by Meryn f*****g Trant? Any boy whore with a sword could beat three Meryn Trants'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

J. Marston wrote: »
    I know it's not a one liner and it's not a show line but a book one, from a relatively minor character
    (Hugo Wull)
    . Everyone remembers Lord Manderly's speech but this doesn't get as much love even though it's just as good. Will put it in spoilers...
    Corliss: Do you want to die, Wull?

Hugo: I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fúck all night.

What men want does not matter. Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter.

Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.

Such a shame that those last three sentences didn't make it into the show somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

Great speech. Naff delivery, devoid of emotion.

Plopsu wrote: »
    Can't believe this wasn't mentioned.

The Hound: 'The greatest swordsman who ever lived, killed by Meryn f*****g Trant? Any boy whore with a sword could beat three Meryn Trants'
    Everything that comes out of the Hound's mouth is a great one liner :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Two of my favorites.

The things I do for love.

All dwarves are bastards in their fathers eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

'The old man smells of piss'.
    Series 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

c3777f0cbee1f59ce9bcf1eee4cd0f35--queen-cersei-margaery-tyrell.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I've always found revenge to be the purest of motivations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

It's just my luck to end up with a bunch of ****ing fire worshippers - Sandor Clegane

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

“You think you’re fooling anyone with that topknot? Bald cúnt”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Crow92 wrote: »
    Season 4, Episode 01.

Polliver ​ "You don't seem to understand the situation..."
    Sandor Clegane​: "I understand that if any more words come pouring out your cúnt mouth, I'm gonna have to eat every fućking chicken in this room."

Polliver "You lived your life for the king, You gonna die for some chickens?"
    Hound ".... Someone is"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Still my favourite Hound quote. If any man dies with a clean sword, I'll rape his fúcking corpse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Tywin: "Can't say I've ever met a literate stone-mason."
    Arya: "Have you met many stone-masons, my Lord?"
    Tywin: "Careful now, girl."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Two Tyrion classics, apologies for large pic size
    how-to-launch-a-successful-kickstarter-campaign-2-638.jpg?cb=1460529029

3zH5mqf.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

"He really was a cúnt, wasn't he?"

Jaime: "There are always lessons in failures."

Olenna: "Yes. You must be very wise by now."

I'll miss her stinging put-downs so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Missandei: “You stand in the presence of Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen. Rightful heir to the Iron Throne. Rightful Queen to the Andals and First Men. Protector of the Seven Kingdoms. The Mother of Dragons. The Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea. The Unburnt. The Breaker of Chains.”

Davos: “This is Jon Snow........he’s King in the North.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Olenna "Queen of Thornes" Tyrell: Tell Cersei, I want her to know it was me

*drops mic*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

FINGER IN THE BUM

• Advertisement

maester-aemon-death-game-of-thrones.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Sansa: "So you're telling me the woman who murdered my father, mother and brother is dangerous? Thank you for your wise counsel."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

FINGER IN THE BUM
    I thought the better line in that exchange was "Not now, we'll talk later".

Just as Jaime was about to explode. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

"They just like severed heads, really."

Euron knows the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Riddle101 wrote: »
    "I bet his hair is greasier than Joffrey's C*nt" - The Hound

"A fool more foolish than most had once jested that even Lord Tywin’s sh*t was flecked with gold. Some said the man was still alive, deep in the bowels of Casterly Rock" - Tyrion Lannister

"Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, sh*t gold" - Tyrion Lannister

"Every once in a very long while, Lord Tywin Lannister would actually threaten to smile; he never did, but the threat alone was terrible to behold" Tyrion Lannister

"Men say Tywin never smiled, but he smiled when he wed your mother, and when Aerys made him Hand. When Tarbeck Hall came crashing down on Lady Ellyn, that scheming b*tch, Tyg claimed he smiled then, and he smiled at your birth, Jaime, I saw with my own eyes" - Genna Lannister
    Are they book quotes because I cannot recall meeting a character called Genna Lannister?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

flazio wrote:
    Are they book quotes because I cannot recall meeting a character called Genna Lannister?

I think they're all book quotes. Genna hasn't made an appearance on TV.

Isn't this TV show only quotes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Men **** themselves when they die. Didn't they teach you that in fancy lad school?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Dickon ahaha - Bronn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

fewer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some good advice Arya got early on, after Jon made her a sword she called Needle:
    “First lesson,” Jon said. “Stick them with the pointy end.”
    Then she had to explain Needle to Ned:
    “Arya, what did you think to do with this… Needle? Who did you hope to skewer? Your sister? Septa Mordane? Do you know the first thing about sword fighting?”
    All she could think of was the lesson Jon had given her. “Stick them with the pointy end,” she blurted out.
    Her father snorted back laughter. “That is the essence of it, I suppose.”
    Ah, the innocence of youth ... :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

As Jamie charges Dany and Drogon....
    Tyrion... "You F**king idiot"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Dickon Tarley: Dickon
    Bronn: Bwahahahahaha!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

As Jamie charges Dany and Drogon....
    Tyrion... "You F**king idiot"

I really loved that especially the concern in Tyrion's voice. Made an intense scene even more intense.

Sansa to Littlefinger "No need to cease the last word Lord Baelish, I'll assume it was something clever" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Just leave this here...

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Sansa to Littlefinger "No need to cease the last word Lord Baelish, I'll assume it was something clever" :pac:

Sansa has been schooling Littlefinger this season...

Littlefinger: "I know know Cersei better than anyone here."

Sansa: "You don't Cersei better than anyone here."

Littlefinger: "I only meant to say..."

Sansa: "That the woman who murdered my Mother, Father and Brother is dangerous? Thank you for your wise council."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Davos: I thought you might still be rowing

Great nod for all the memes out there :pac: :pac: :pac:

5star02707 wrote: »
    Davos: I thought you might still be rowing

Great nod for all the memes out there :pac: :pac: :pac:

Another callback: “I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.:” :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Tormund: "How many queens are there now? And you need to convince the one with the dragons or the one who ****s her brother?” :)

Hotpie: The secret is browning the butter before making the pie. Most people don't do that.

Arya: I didn't do that.

Hotpie: You've been making pies?

Arya: One or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

"... And the big woman?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Beric: It doesn't matter what we think our reasons are. There's a greater purpose at work. We serve it together whether we know it or not. The Lord of Light.....
    The Hound: For f*ck sake will shut your hole. Are we coming with you or not?"

Hound: you want to suck my dick. Is that it?
    Tormund: Dick?
    H: Cock
    T: Ah! Dick. I like it.
    H: Bet you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The entire exchange between Tormund and The Hound was classic. The lines above and the conversation about Brienne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

"You're still very strange and annoying" - Sansa to Arya.

Advertisement