Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Against the Grain Pub, Wexford Street

Options
  • 01-05-2013 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to organise a 40th birthday party for my other half. Someone I know recommended the above pub, so I've gone ahead and booked it, but as of yet haven't managed to get it in to check it out. Has anyone here been in the function room there & if so, what's it like? I've a list so far of about 80 guests, but as it'll be July, the numbers will probably nearer to 50 or 60.

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Oh it's a great place, but they only do craft beers so there isn't really any big name drinks on draught which would annoy some people I know, their wine list isn't great either but it's a good spot all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Thanks a mil. Oh that's what appealed about the place. My other half loves drinking in the porter house, the Bull & Castle etc., so would suit him down to the ground. Feck all the rest who give out.

Have you seen the function room at all? They said it'd fit about 100, so seems fine in principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

The function room isn't a function room as such, it is just the upstairs. I have no idea if they close it off the others or what happens when it is booked.

One issue I did hear about it is that there is no bar upstairs though they do supply a lounge person. I have no idea if this effect you or not but it may mean much trooping up and down the stairs as the night goes on.

Oh, ok. Will have to try & venture in & take a look. I was booking the Karma Stone before my friend suggested here. Any other recommendations around town. Both of them offer the room free & piped bar music and finger food for €3 each, so very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

It's just upstairs. It's an awkward shape, kind of tiered, but nice and I've seen it fit plenty of people and it can be closed off to the main bar. The food is also amazing there, so everything about it is quality.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info folks , I just never get a minute to get into town these days - working full time & an 18 month old at home, so the furthest we get to is the cinema these days or else to gigs that might be on (none coming up in Whelans unfortunately). Might try in over the weekend during the day or something.

Yeah I read the food is lovely too, so another plus. Just once is isn't awful upstairs. Was gonna just book a function room in a normal pub close to home, but as I said when I heard about the beer selection, I knew he'd love that, so that's what sold me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I had a party in the function room just before Christmas, we had a great night.

They have one small little section just as you walk up the stairs but as you have booked for about 80 you must be in the actual room itself which is fairly big, you can play your own music, just give the guys behind the bar your ipod etc and they will hook it up for you.

The food was the nicest finger food I've had as it wasn't just the usual sausages and chicken nuggets!

Would really recommend it for a party, only downside is no bar upstairs but as someone said they always send someone up to take drink orders.

Ah great stuff Galadriel, that's put my mind at ease. Yeah your man mentioned piped bar music or you can bring your own, so wasn't 100% did he mean a dj or a playlist on a laptop or ipod.

That's great, as that would suit down to the ground - we're into heavy metal, so I wouldn't mind putting together a rock playlist (dummed down a bit for the friends & family that aren't into that sort of music).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 AlejandroKa

Delicious beers, sound staff, friendly buzz in the place though at times a bit 'hipster' but a great place and you will have a good night OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Beers are so nice in there. Also for people that go with your group and havent tried craft beers they will get a good opportunity as they do half pints and pints but are always happy to give a quick sample before trying a new beers. Very sounds staff and nice atmosphere. Have not tried the food but heard good things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

chris85 wrote: »
    Also for people that go with your group and havent tried craft beers they will get a good opportunity as they do half pints and pints but are always happy to give a quick sample before trying a new beers.

They do a taster platter as well. Love the place, like a kid in a candy store with all the beers :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Had my stag there just over a year ago, and yeah, there's no bar upstairs, but they do send someone up all the same.

There's a piano which is playable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The beers are good, but pricier than most craft beer pubs. The food is absolutely awful in there and the staff aren't great. It'll be fine for a piss-up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

What was Against the Grain called previously - something in Irish i think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What was Against the Grain called previously - something in Irish i think?

It was Carnival a few years back (which was nice) and then it was Féile for a while I think (that one was sh*te)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It was Carnival a few years back (which was nice) and then it was Féile for a while I think (that one was sh*te)

I was also called "Da 2" at some point... dark times - literally - the place has no windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Feile will be what I was thinking of, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I was also called "Da 2" at some point... dark times - literally - the place has no windows.

Also, Nasdaq, which was strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Birneybau wrote: »
    Also, Nasdaq, which was strange...

Really?

I missed those incarnations. Did they come between Carnival and Against the Grain or were they before Carnival?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Really?

I missed those incarnations. Did they come between Carnival and Against the Grain or were they before Carnival?

I think Da 2 was circa 2001 or so.. before Carnival (which i quite liked). Against the Grain is by a long way the best incarnation of that place IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Great place for a party, had a family "do" in the function room right after Christmas and it was fantastic. The lounge staff that come up to take orders are always lovely and very helpful (I'm always awkward and order tea!). The finger food is some of the best quality and best value in Dublin, as said earlier it's not just beige!

Speak to the guys about doing your own playlist and it should be no problem, though they also have tonnes of music on their system and could sort a rock playlist for you.

You have your own loos in the function room too, which I do consider a bonus!

Before our party we hung up a few banners and balloons around the room too, the walls are fairly bare!

tfak85 wrote: »
    Great place for a party, had a family "do" in the function room right after Christmas and it was fantastic. The lounge staff that come up to take orders are always lovely and very helpful (I'm always awkward and order tea!). The finger food is some of the best quality and best value in Dublin, as said earlier it's not just beige!

Speak to the guys about doing your own playlist and it should be no problem, though they also have tonnes of music on their system and could sort a rock playlist for you.

You have your own loos in the function room too, which I do consider a bonus!

Before our party we hung up a few banners and balloons around the room too, the walls are fairly bare!

tfak85, thanks for that. Delighted with all the feedback & so quick. Definitely sold on the venue now, but will try nip in to get a look at it at some stage. Yeah going to buy balloons, banners etc to do the place up. Will ask them about a playlist. As I said, there won't be much metal, more rock, but will try to get a bit more variety than the run of the mill rock they
    play in a lot of places. At least I know an ipod or laptop is an option if I feel their music isn't to our taste.

Really?

Yeah, Da 2 the earliest incarnation I can remember, saw Johnny Pyro in there before they morphed in to Republic of Loose, not a fan, just sayin'.

Think it was Nasdaq right after.

Place seemed cursed before Against the Grain, guess Whelans and the Village had a bigger draw before it went craft beer-y.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Da 2 the earliest incarnation I can remember
    I drank in there when it was Clarke's. What do I win?

BeerNut wrote: »
    I drank in there when it was Clarke's. What do I win?

A tasting tray from Against the Grain.

Simply ask barman, hand over monies requested and it's all yours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I think Da 2 was circa 2001 or so.. before Carnival (which i quite liked). Against the Grain is by a long way the best incarnation of that place IMO.

It had a great beer-garden/space-out-the-back, during some of its incarnations too. That's closed off now - I dunno why. I always hate to learn of the death of a beer-garden. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A tasting tray from Against the Grain.
    Woooo! Three Full Sails and an empty pint glass please.

Advertisement