Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTEC Alarm - Troubleshooting which contact may be the issue?

Options
  • 01-05-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

So the last two nights my ASTEC alarm has sounded showing the trigger as the downstairs front window contacts.

Both nights were calm weather, no rain or anything and I could see or hear no one outside before or after. Plus a check during the day shows no sign of someone being at the windows.

So my next guess is that a contact may be faulty?

How would I check or confirm this?

Thanks for any information or guidance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The best way is to check the resistance on the whole zone.
    See post 9 here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056655452
    If you have no multi meter another option is to change the sensors with another zone one by one and see if the problem moves to that zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

So I am a total novice here and don't have a multi-meter.

From reading the astec user manual I bypassed zone 3 and decided I would then open the cover on each contact sensor and see if anything was obvious.

4 contact sensors looked fine, all wires connected, and cover screwed on nice and tight. There was no play or movement when I initially tried to wiggle the cover off.

Number 5 of 6 was slightly loose to the touch prior to removal, however all wiring looked fine inside, and it was tighter once refitted.

Number 6 of 6 I did not check for tightness prior to removal, however on this one the wiring/connector came off with the cover. It seems as if its not stuck to the window bracket like the other 5 are, if fact I think there might be a piece missing or broken which is needed to facilitate that. All wiring seems fine but even when I put back on the cover it is ever so slightly loose to the touch/wiggle and would actually come off with minimal effort.

I guessing sensor 6 of 6 may be the issue, although in saying that I think it has probably been like that for some time. :confused:

Anyway, will set the alarm again tonight and see if my fluting around has helped or things are still the same. :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Well maybe start by disconnecting sensor 6. Is there one or two wires going into that sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

KoolKid wrote: »
    Well maybe start by disconnecting sensor 6. Is there one or two wires going into that sensor.

Seems to be 3 wires: 1 red, 2 twisted black and another single red. I believe they are all the same, took this pic from a more accessible contact.

251931.jpg

Disconnect the 2 reds and twist them together.
    That will take that sensor out of the loop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement