Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardy rushes/grasses for round a pond

• 01-05-2013 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I would like to plant some rushes or particular types of grass around my pond but i have no clue what to get. i have one variety that is perenial and its nice but dies back in winter. the soil around the pond is not moist as there is no overflow. anyone any ideas what i could plant there grass wise? also i would like a water plant that floats that will cover about a third of the water area but is manageable. i am making my shopping list now for pay day. cheaper the better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

One of the varieties of miscanthus sinensis would be nice or possibly a bamboo, as for the water plant there are many varieties of water lilly sutible for large or small ponds even down to the really tiny so there would be one for you if you like them.

ps. be wary of some of those oxygenating plants in the garden centres as they can go bananas and can be difficult to get rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

What size is your pond and what aspect?

Snowy woodrush (Luzula sylvatica) is evergreen and has lovely white flowers May/ June. Semi shade.

Carex pendula is evergreen, looks fantastic but can self seed easily so bear that in mind, grows/ looks better with some shade in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

[quote="muckyhands;8442614

Carex pendula is evergreen, looks fantastic but can self seed easily so bear that in mind, grows/ looks better with some shade in my experience.[/quote]

Planted this a few years back with regret now. It just pops up everywhere and grows quickly,but is easy enough removed by hand.
    Other Options -carex testesaceae
    Stipa arundinaceae
    Miscanthus Silver feather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Thanks for the info. Bamboo if definetly going in there. my plan is to bury a slate on the pond side to stop the runners going near the butyl. Are most of those plants available locally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

I grew wild iris (aka flag). Free, grew well, attractive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement