Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KEN BARLOW ARRESTED!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

in court probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Feed him to the lions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

deirdre won't be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

If he did it I hope he gets locked up for the rest of his life.

Innocent until proven guilty, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

In the Rovers Return with everyone having a pint and a laugh at how this mis-understanding got out of hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

deirdre won't be happy

She's usually a barrel of laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't like it when I have to google people that get threads in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

That's why outspoken about Michael Le Vell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Whilst I obviously agree that rape is the most heinous of crimes, I feel somewhat conflicted about arresting a man based on an allegation of something that happened 45 years ago. I fail to see how jailing him could benefit anyone, or how the case could be proven to be anything other than 'he said, she said'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Possibly involved in the murder of Samir Rachid too.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So much for the "Viva Ken Barlow," stickers that have been stamped everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I just don't understand why it has taking 46 years for her to report this :confused:

All seems a little strange. Innocent till proven guilty anyway.

That's why outspoken about Michael Le Vell

lol

they'll have to move production to strangeways if this keeps up:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Love that people call him Ken Barlow rather than his real name :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

where's all this gonna end?
    The most fantastic Christmas cabaret ever held by HM Prison Service?

Xavi6 wrote: »

:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Xavi6 wrote: »

It's not his name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

So does that make it 1001?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I just don't understand why it has taking 46 years for her to report this :confused:

All seems a little strange. Innocent till proving guilty anyway.

I hate to be one of those people but it's "In a cent"

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Shouldn't this be in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056938937, mods feel free to move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

kylith wrote: »
    Whilst I obviously agree that rape is the most heinous of crimes, I feel somewhat conflicted about arresting a man based on an allegation of something that happened 45 years ago. I fail to see how jailing him could benefit anyone, or how the case could be proven to be anything other than 'he said, she said'.

I think if he committed a crime, he should answer for it. The only problem I'm starting to have with all these arrests, is the naming of the suspects.

If they are found to be guilty, by all means name and shame them, but if they are found to be innocent, the allegations will still follow them around for the rest of their lives.

Am I getting a sense of deja vu here?

mtjm wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056938937, mods feel free to move
    That's a thread about someone called Bill Roache, this one is about Ken Barlow, the guy from Coronation Street! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

First Kevin Webster.

Now Ken Barlow.

It all sounds like a bad script for a TV soap opera :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

The reason why sexual assaults of minors sometimes aren't reported until decades later is because some victims block it from their memory as a coping mechanism, and it can take years for them to realise what actually happened to them, and that it was a crime.

There is a danger that it it could be an unfair trial (if he's charged, that is). But if an allegation has been made, it can't be disregarded either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Real life stranger than fiction.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

If they are found to be guilty, by all means name and shame them, but if they are found to be innocent, the allegations will still follow them around for the rest of their lives.

Totally agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

was it wendy crozier?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

First Kevin Webster.

Now Ken Barlow.

I bet the corpse of Alf Roberts is planking it now.

• Advertisement

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    The reason why sexual assaults of minors sometimes aren't reported until decades later is because some victims block it from their memory as a coping mechanism, and it can take years for them to realise what actually happened to them, and that it was a crime.

There is a danger that it it could be an unfair trial (if he's charged, that is). But if an allegation has been made, it can't be disregarded either.

Crazy that everyone seems to have mentally unblocked their trauma at roughly the same time. :rolleyes:

First Kevin Webster.

Now Ken Barlow.

Oh, two separate people then? Which one is Ken Barlow?

Crazy that everyone seems to have mentally unblocked their trauma at roughly the same time. :rolleyes:

Maybe people are getting the courage to come forward after seeing others do it. That's not to say that all the allegations are true, but they still all have to be investigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Only in the last couple of months he was saying people accused of this sort of thing should be forgiven and that sexual abuse victims bring it on themselves because of what they've done in past lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Statute of limitations would surely apply no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The mans a serial adulterer, his daughter is a convicted murderer, son is of a violent disposition with alcohol problems and to top it all off he's married to a shriveled prune - this comes as no surprise.
    Myself and Blanche knew he was a wrong 'un from the start.

• Advertisement

The mans a serial adulterer, his daughter is a convicted murderer, son is of a violent disposition with alcohol problems and to top it all off he's married to a shriveled prune - this comes as no surprise.
    Myself and Blanche knew he was a wrong 'un from the start.
    Wow, it's as if this guy walked straight off the set of Eastenders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Maybe people are getting the courage to come forward after seeing others do it. That's not to say that all the allegations are true, but they still all have to be investigated.

Maybe people are getting the courage to do so after they heard about the compensation Jimmy Saville victims might be getting

Rascasse wrote: »
    Only in the last couple of months he was saying people accused of this sort of thing should be forgiven and that sexual abuse victims bring it on themselves because of what they've done in past lives.

Did you even watch that video? No where does he say that sex abuse victims bring it on himself. He said there is a difference between predators grooming children and pop stars who sleep with groupies. He also said, there should be anonymity for both the accused and the accuser until facts have been determined. Considering we are in a thread discussing his arrest after an anonymous allegation, he was right.

syklops wrote: »
    Maybe people are getting the courage to do so after they heard about the compensation Jimmy Saville victims might be getting

I don't think that being cynical about these things is helpful to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Mike Baldwin will be laughing in his grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Did you even watch that video? No where does he say that sex abuse victims bring it on himself. He said there is a difference between predators grooming children and pop stars who sleep with groupies. He also said, there should be anonymity for both the accused and the accuser until facts have been determined. Considering we are in a thread discussing his arrest after an anonymous allegation, he was right.

Did you watch it?

From 1m 8s
    Roache: “If you accept that you are pure love, and if you know that you are pure love and therefore live that pure love, these things won’t happen to you.”

Interviewer: “To some people that sounds perhaps like you’re saying victims bring things on themselves – is that what you’re saying?”

Roache: “No, not quite, but and yet I am, because everything that happens to us has been a result of what we have been in previous lives or whatever.”

The comments caused quite a stir at the time.

He even made a ham-fisted attempt at explaining his comments, where he went on to again defend those accused of historical sexual offences (I imagine he knew today was coming).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Arawn wrote: »
    Statute of limitations would surely apply no?
    The Limitation Act is relevant to civil cases only - it does not apply to criminal cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

But being that cynical and cold (when you have never been abused) makes you look real bad-ass don't ya know.

Madam_X wrote: »
    But being that cynical and cold (when you have never been abused) makes you look real bad-ass don't ya know.

Silly me, I should have known!

Im not being cynical, I am being realistic. Ever since the Jimmy Saville allegations all kinds of celebrities have had allegations made against them. The allegations are almost always anonymous, and relate to a crime allegedly committed 30 or 40 years ago, so there is no evidence, just he said/she said disputes. However the onus is on the actor to prove that someone whose identity he does not know was not raped by him in 1967. How do you do that if you are innocent? Where do you start?

Madam_X wrote: »

So you genuinely think that the population of Britain have experienced some kind of mass memory revival, and its just a coincidence that all the abusers are celebrities.

And how do you know I was never abused?

Im not being cynical, I am being realistic. Ever since the Jimmy Saville allegations all kinds of celebrities have had allegations made against them. The allegations are almost always anonymous, and relate to a crime allegedly committed 30 or 40 years ago, so there is no evidence, just he said/she said disputes. However the onus is on the actor to prove that someone whose identity he does not know was not raped by him in 1967. How do you do that if you are innocent? Where do you start?

they have to prove guilt unless the justice system has changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

biko wrote: »
    I don't like it when I have to google people that get threads in AH.

Seriously - Ken Barlow? You've never heard of Ken Barlow? He's only ... Ah forget it.

The onus of proof is on the prosecuting side, so if this goes to trial, he doesn't have to say a word. Well, I think that's how it operates in the UK anyway.

I'm not saying that the allegations are true, or that it's fair that he's been identified before a trial has begun. But if someone makes a serious claim like that, it can't be shrugged off just because other people might be able to claim significant damages in an entirely different case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement