Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HRV and airtightness

• 01-05-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

i am installing a heat recovery ventilation system.

is it absolutely vital that the house is completely and utterly airtight or will a "good/reasoable level" of airtightness be acceptable???:confused:

the costs of achieving absolute airtightness is very high. i can achieve a good standard within the budget or should i stretch to the absolute airtightness level

please note i have a windtight roof and before any localized airtight measures are installed the house is well sealed.;)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

JD6910 wrote: »

the costs of achieving absolute airtightness is very high.
    define the above?

how much is the MVHR unit is?

and what do you consider:
    completely and utterly airtight or will a "good/reasoable level" of airtightness
    me id say: completely and utterly = 0, good < 1 & reasonable < 2m3/hr/ m2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

basically you will need to comply with part F so its a balance of vents vs mhrv taking into account what ACH you achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

BryanF wrote: »
    define the above?

how much is the MVHR unit is?

and what do you consider:

me id say: completely and utterly = 0, good < 1 & reasonable < 2m3/hr/ m2

bryan - my airtightness is circa 4000 for a 3000sqft storey and half type house.
    the HRV is costing circa 4500 including ducting etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

bryan - my airtightness is circa 4000 for a 3000sqft storey and half type house.

at that price I would just check that it will perform in the way you expect and delivery the requirements of Part F

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

reduce the house by 100sqft? takes care of both the above costs, (roughly that's the equilant of bringing in the external walls by 10cm)

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    reduce the house by 100sqft? takes care of both the above costs, (roughly that's the equilant of bringing in the external walls by 10cm)

you've lost me - dont get waht you mean here???:confused::confused::confused::o

fclauson wrote: »
    at that price I would just check that it will perform in the way you expect and delivery the requirements of Part F

which price do you think is keen??? or maybe both are??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

I'm installing my hrv at the moment, after spending all that money on hrv system going doing the right thing and putting in measures for airtightness would be a must, im guessing at €1500 for air tight materials, including 80 no. 18mm osb3, 10 rolls of tape so far not finnished yet have windows to do and some small flat roof.

Advertisement