Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The footpath extension at millstreet

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

You are right, if Gardaí, Credit Union and Connacht Tribune staff are parking there all day long without paying this has a serious impact on the turnover of spaces. I doubt very much if someone who has to pay for parking would choose to park there for the entire wokring day and indeed that is the thinking behind "pay-per-hour" car parks, they are designed for short-term parking. If long-term parkers are allowed to park there for free it completely screws with the intended usage patterns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

You are right, if Gardaí, Credit Union and Connacht Tribune staff are parking there all day long without paying this has a serious impact on the turnover of spaces. I doubt very much if someone who has to pay for parking would choose to park there for the entire wokring day and indeed that is the thinking behind "pay-per-hour" car parks, they are designed for short-term parking. If long-term parkers are allowed to park there for free it completely screws with the intended usage patterns.

"Credit Union" is a euphemism. To state it baldly, members of An Garda Siochana are parking their private cars for free, courtesy of Galway City Council.

I doubt very much if Connacht Tribune staff are parking up that far, and if they are it's not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are right, if Gardaí, Credit Union and Connacht Tribune staff are parking there all day long without paying this has a serious impact on the turnover of spaces.

If you look at the cars there, then you might see materials with the same logo as is found on this website: http://www.stpaulscu.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The wardens have very selective vision in that car park. I have never heard of a car being clamped there despite massive signs warning of same..

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I doubt very much if Connacht Tribune staff are parking up that far, and if they are it's not free.

Mention has been made here of copies of the Conancht Tribune being displayed prominently on dashboards instead of tickets. Am surprised that an advocate of non-motorised forms of transport such as yourself thinks the distance between the Tribune and Mill Street is "that far".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

If you look at the cars there, then you might see materials with the same logo as is found on this website: http://www.stpaulscu.ie/

Correct. I should have been clearer: the credit union connection is that AGS members display recognisable items, such as Garda credit union books, on their dashboard. Parking wardens, who spend a lot of their time patrolling municipal car parks and Pay & Display spaces, see these items on display and permit these vehicles to be parked without paying a fee. My impression is that perhaps 15-20 spaces are taken up by these non-paying 'customers' all day every day. That's a lot of lost revenue, and lost parking opportunities, over an entire year. Do the math, as they say in the States.

snubbleste wrote: »
    The wardens have very selective vision in that car park. I have never heard of a car being clamped there despite massive signs warning of same..

Clamping was discontinued in 2009, after costing Galway City Council €2 million net over six years.

They made €20 out of me in 2008, when I was ten minutes late coming back to the car in Mill Street car park. I was enraged at the time, which is why I still remember the incident. The upside was that it cured me of my growing habit at the time of using the car too often for trips that could easily be done by bike. I was living in Salthill then, and working in the city centre. Conclusion: Bikes rock, and TDM works. ;)

Mention has been made here of copies of the Conancht Tribune being displayed prominently on dashboards instead of tickets. Am surprised that an advocate of non-motorised forms of transport such as yourself thinks the distance between the Tribune and Mill Street is "that far".

Sorry, missed that. I don't think Market Street to Mill Street is far at all, but my impression is that in this here city of car-as-door-to-door-transport a lot of motorists do not want to walk any distance. Doesn't the Connacht Tribune have parking on their own premises, and in the municipal car park next door on Market Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

I see a mysterious hole is forming slap bang in the middle of the road at the river walk pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

A chairde,
    I'd be fairly sure that 15 minute shopping trips don't benefit the city centre much and businesses would be better served if you strung several errands together and did a bit of browsing . If you really really need blue iced cupcakes on a Wednesday at half 4 then maybe you should couple the errand with food shopping and/or a haircut or something. I'm not at all convinced that removing the evil taxis will leave always available parking spaces that can be used for 15 minute shopping trips either. Spaces like that are usually full and availability is unpredictable and you can't count on when someone is going to leave. You spend time and petrol circling the area until one frees up and your 15 minutes is suddenly 40.
    If you do have kids (and a brain) then you are much better off parking in a car park where you are assured of a spot and can get them (and your shopping) in and out of the car a bit more safely. Alternatively you could forget about the fancy cupcakes and go support a business local to whereever you drove your car from.
    Also FWIW Mill Street, Woodquay, Newtownsmith and Merchants Road are all about a New York block from Shop Street. My comparison of a small town in the West of Ireland to a massively dense City with several mass transit systems may not be valid but if not then lets ALL stop making bogus comparisons.
    Lastly please don't propose to speak for poor city residents who can't park find parking spaces if you regularly park on the street in the city centre.
    Regards
    w.

Whineflu, while I am often taken aback at the smugly superior "I know better than you, you idiot" tone of many posts on this forum, your post has to take the prize for sneering arrogance. I just hope you feel better for getting all that off your chest. I'm not going to waste my time addressing the "points" you have raised in your rant as I have no desire to give oxygen to your views. I respectfully suggest that other posters "with a brain" (to paraphrase a recent post ;)) do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

I'm not going to waste my time addressing the "points" you have raised in your rant

I understand. Some people prefer to take convenient shortcuts in life and get defensive when someone points out the impact that has on other people. I'm sorry you don't like my tone and that you feel the need to get personal but my points are valid and they weren't actually directed at you personally.
    To get back on track... The new road markings and taxi rank layout worked well during race week and I'm guessing they are here to stay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement