Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skelligs court waterville dublin 15 area opinions ?

Options
  • 01-05-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Any opinions about this area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No opinion on Skellig but see the Waterville thread as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I live in the estate - not in this square, wouldn't go near it with a bargepole. worse maintained. got a taxi recently and the guy said anywhere else in waterville was fine, but there wasn't. It's the only one with a different management company and looks it.

amtc wrote: »
    I live in the estate - not in this square, wouldn't go near it with a bargepole. worse maintained. got a taxi recently and the guy said anywhere else in waterville was fine, but there wasn't. It's the only one with a different management company and looks it.

Any idea why they have a different mgt co. when SPM do a really good job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

amtc wrote: »

I agree - wouldn't go near Skelligs or Annagh. Rest of Waterville is decent. There are a number of different management agents in Waterville, I know of at least four so that info is wrong.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Any idea why they have a different mgt co. when SPM do a really good job?

:confused: seriously????? For starters every cluster has it's own management company ie the legal entity comprising all owners. A number of clusters retain SPM as their managment agents though not all.

Not all of Waterville was built by the same builder, Skelligs and Waterville Terrace were not built by Lydons (and I'm pretty sure they were both built by different builders). Lydon built clusters initially had OSPM though some, like us have moved. We were not happy with SPM ("really good job" was not our experience) and moved to another agent a few years back. Now we have things like a horticulturalist who tends the plants and manages them appropriately rather than SPM's cleaning company with a sideline in grass cutting and a blanket pruning policy of taking a strimmer to all the new growth on the plants to cut a neat straight line.

Last I heard Skelligs used Fisher but that may not be current. They don't use SPM or our agent.

athtrasna wrote: »

:confused: seriously?????

Seriously...yes. I'm 6 1/2 years in Erris and the only issue i have had to go to them with is the "anti vandal paint" on the walls. I'm an owner occupier so not a "blow in" or a "renter". If i had problems i'd be going to them asap...but i don't. Never have tbh *touch wood*. :o

Literally right now, at a push, the only issue i could bring to their attention is the bottom floor apartments grass is wearing thin and the fledgling bushes are struggling to grow as my neighbours kids mess around in the front.

That is IT! And i love a good moan.I love Erris and thank jaysus i have no complaints beyond this so far. :D

The grounds are meticulously maintained, bin area cleaned regularly, inside common area is immaculate (to the extent they asked to be vigilant of pet hair which is fair enough). My neighbours are sound, no problem with parking and they were examining the gutters early Wed morning.

I would not be paying €75/mth in Mgt fees if i felt they weren't doing a good job. I literally can't fault them. When i approached them about the "anti vandal paint", they were really helpful and communicative. Sent toxicology info in relation to animals (relatively non toxic to animals unless in large amounts).

Thanks a mill for the other info, it's good to know what else is going on in the whole estate.

athtrasna who is your property agent? I'm curious. PM if you don't want to post.

• Advertisement

I would not be paying €75/mth in Mgt fees if i felt they weren't doing a good job. I literally can't fault them. When i approached them about the "anti vandal paint", they were really helpful and communicative. Sent toxicology info in relation to animals (relatively non toxic to animals unless in large amounts).

Thanks a mill for the other info, it's good to know what else is going on in the whole estate.

Your fees aren't for SPM they would be for Erris Square management company in your case. They hire SPM (probably pay them about €12k a year or thereabouts) to administer the development.

You are legally bound by the deeds you signed at "purchase" to pay your management fees, regardless of how you feel about the agent. They are purely collecting them and managing the development, the directors or an AGM can end their contract at any time.

Am intrigued by the notion of pet hair in common areas. Surely there should be no pets going through common areas? Development rules and leases have fairly restrictive rules on pets, unless these were changed in more recent clusters? Particularly to the extent that you mention toxicology?

Am intrigued by the notion of pet hair in common areas. Surely there should be no pets going through common areas? Development rules and leases have fairly restrictive rules on pets, unless these were changed in more recent clusters? Particularly to the extent that you mention toxicology?

Does my forum Mod status not give it away?!! We've 3 dogs and 2 cats in our block. Only 1 is mine. Another 3 cats and at least 1 dog over on the otherside :D All very well behaved and tolerated. Are you seriously expecting 100s of people in an estate not to have pets? We also have bikes and kids trikes stored downstairs in limitation (also not allowed but doesn't bother me) and the odd clothes horse going out on a warm day.

With regards to the toxicology aspect. I asked them what the substance was they spread on the walls was as there's a huge stray cat and wildlife population in the area that walk those walls (have you noticed?), including my own cat. They came back with reasonable info, which i was happy with and that was that.

I think i'm really lucky in my block by the sounds of it.

Does my forum Mod status not give it away?!! We've 3 dogs and 2 cats in our block. Only 1 is mine. Another 3 cats and at least 1 dog over on the otherside :D All very well behaved and tolerated. Are you seriously expecting 100s of people in an estate not to have pets? We also have bikes and kids trikes stored downstairs in limitation (also not allowed but doesn't bother me) and the odd clothes horse going out on a warm day.

With regards to the toxicology aspect. I asked them what the substance was they spread on the walls was as there's a huge stray cat and wildlife population in the area that walk those walls (have you noticed?), including my own cat. They came back with reasonable info, which i was happy with and that was that.

I think i'm really lucky in my block by the sounds of it.

:eek::eek::eek:

OMG I can't believe that. Wouldn't stand for that at all. 3 dogs in a block with internal spaces :eek: And bikes and trikes stored in a common space where they constitute an insurance hazard and have the potential to impede exit in case of a fire or other emergency. Not too keen on clothes horses either.

All these were clauses in the leases we signed at purchase, as someone who signed them with a view to complying with them I wouldn't be happy if our agents permitted others to breach them. Guess we're both lucky I don't live in Erris :D

Lol! I'm glad too.....no offence :D

Do you know who wrecks the place the most. KIDS!!! I was the second person to move into my block in 2007.Not a sinner for months...no kids,not even a cat (apart from the strays :p) Blissful. 6 1/2 years later....life happens. Kids happen, pets happen, negative equity happened etc etc. Rules are there for are reason and i GET THAT, believe me. I am jokey broke, as i'm sure you are paying for all the crap that goes with "owning" a home.

"We" as a block got warned about pet hair. I now hoover the main hallway myself...even though he's a domestic shorthair and sheds feck all and hoovering isn't all that friggin difficult but anyway.My downstairs neighbour who's racing bikes are stored in the main area i don't complain about, because he lets my cat in to his apartment and feeds him chicken.Sound lad. My other neighbour who had no kids when he moved in,now has 3 and they try their best to dry all 5 of their clothes indoors, but do take advantage of the sunny days to "air" their apartment. I don't blame them one bit. Their gorgeous kids play out front and run in and out of the apartment. The grass and shrubs are f*cked, but that's what kids do. :D

The daffodils are only up for 2 weeks, but got chopped on Wed. They were already half gone because all the "other kids" picked,trampled,ignored them. I love Daffs and love watching the 4 amazing trees come into bloom, but am i going to complain??!!

My "upstairs" neighbour loves my cat and now wants one of her own. I've offered to petsit and vice versa.

I "foster" animals, so they are here temporarily. My downstairs neighbours middle daughter now "likes" animals (previously not sure) because i've taken the time to let her pet them and "help" me walk them. Parents delighted.

All of "our block" have had the random crazy party over the years. All mental on the night, sorted the next day. That's life.

I signed up for "block life" and ALL the rules that go with them, but 6 1/2 years later i luckily have a decent bunch of people living around me who bend the rules a bit, but stick to them for the most part.

Again...im *touching wood* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anna94

Hi, i am looking at an apartment in Waterville, unfortunately i have a small dog 13 years old :), just wondering are pets allowed in the apartments or are people just ignoring the rules ? thank you.

• Advertisement

anna94 wrote: »
    Hi, i am looking at an apartment in Waterville, unfortunately i have a small dog 13 years old :), just wondering are pets allowed in the apartments or are people just ignoring the rules ? thank you.

Some clusters enforce the rules more than others but basically it's in the leases and development rules and you should never sign legal documents with a plan to knowingly breach the terms of the contract. Try to find a contact for the particular cluster to confirm, which one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anna94

Some clusters enforce the rules more than others but basically it's in the leases and development rules and you should never sign legal documents with a plan to knowingly breach the terms of the contract. Try to find a contact for the particular cluster to confirm, which one is it?

This is why Iam asking I dont want to breach the rules. I belive its Scariff ?

anna94 wrote: »
    This is why Iam asking I dont want to breach the rules. I belive its Scariff ?

It's in the rules of all of Waterville .

Scariff is in Waterville terrace which compromises lots of large blocks. A barking dog can disturb dozens of units which is why the rules prohibit them. They are not compatible with such high density living. Sorry

It's in the rules of all of Waterville .

Scariff is in Waterville terrace which compromises lots of large blocks. A barking dog can disturb dozens of units which is why the rules prohibit them. They are not compatible with such high density living. Sorry

Yep they're the rules and I'm not going to argue there. A "barking dog" will pretty much piss off anyone so regardless of where you move to,nobody would be happy with that.It shouldn't make a difference if it's "high density" or not. Neighbours are neighbours.

I have had 3 solid years of crying/wailing kids to my left and right (6 kids now, 0 when i moved in) who have kept me awake morning/noon AND night...literally.They are now wrecking the "communal" grass/shrubs in the front too through "playing". It's been painful,seeing the shrubs being wrecked,bald patches where bushes and grass should be but I now see the kids come over to pet my cat and/or dog when I'm out the front and we have a bit of fun now!!

Can I complain/have the parents complained?

In fairness, I will probably ALWAYS lose being a pet owner, despite my pets doing/causing the least amount of problems.

High density or not, there are LOTS of pet owners in Waterville (myself included). We're ALL pretty much doing grand as far as I can tell. There are lot's of cat owners and a good few dog owners.Cat's are well tolerated and dogs are too. You get a swift reminder if we're pissing people off and that's it. There's a bit of leeway...and taking the piss. If we're "taking the p", we're quickly brought back in line.End of.

Every single one of my neighbours (including myself) have broken ALL of the rules over the 5+ years I've lived here (I put my wet clothes on the balcony to dry today cos it was so warm,oooooh!!). We're technically not allowed to do that either.It looks manky :eek:.....but I haven't done that in over a year.

Athtrasna is correct 100%,but I am an owner occupier for over 5years and the "rules" can be and are bent a little bit as long as you appreciate that you have lots of other people to consider i.e "upstairs and downstairs" and "right to left" as compared to just "across the road" or "a few miles up the road".

Waterville is a lovely area and has been for a long time. ;)

High density living is a difficult concept to grasp in Ireland and we haven't done it very well in the past.We're a new generation who are doing (and trying) to do it differently now.

Athtrasna, I have challenged you in the past about "rules" but I do think we're on the same page in fairness. It's a fab area to live in and has been for quite some time. I "bend the rules" a tad,as much as I hope you and your neighbours will when your/their life changes.
    ;);)

Athtrasna, I have challenged you in the past about "rules" but I do think we're on the same page in fairness. It's a fab area to live in and has been for quite some time. I "bend the rules" a tad,as much as I hope you and your neighbours will when your/their life changes.
    ;);)

We're mostly on the same page ;) There are development rules (which don't necessarily match with the leases) and there are terms of the leases. My solicitor sat us down and went through each and every clause in the contract and pointed out what is and isn't allowed and that is what we signed up to. And sure it would be great to dry clothes on a balcony in this weather but I signed a legal document saying I wouldn't so I don't. Rules may be meant to be "bent" but contracts are there for enforcing.

I'm not normally a moany old fuddy duddy honest :P - I'm young and actively involved in the management company of our cluster. But my job is to protect the investment we all made, and make our cluster a great place to live. And so we enforce contracts - if we didn't there are people who would challenge us at AGMs with failure to fulfil our duty. Might not be universally popular at times but this is what people signed up to. Nobody forced them to choose to buy in our cluster (and luckily for you, you didn't lol).

I do agree with your comments on the kids though ;) Peaceful enjoyment of the apartment is wishful thinking!

Advertisement