Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening Bank Account in UK

Options
  • 01-05-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'll be starting a new job in London in couple weeks and will need to open a UK back account.
    Does anyone have any opinion on which is the best/easiest bank to do this with?
    Is it any benefit opening with AIB UK as thats who I bank with in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sroche88

BuffyBot wrote: »

I've already looked at them. They talk more about the process of opening a bank account and not which bank is more preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OP, I found Natwest to be the easiest (out of the 2 that I tried when I moved over - halifax iirc wanted to credit check, not much of a credit history when you've been in the country 3 weeks) to actually open an account. I just used a council tax bill and passport as proof of ID. Fairly straight forward in the end.

The normal current account is free. They will try to upsell you stuff with a monthly charge (includes phone insurance and other stuff that I can't remember). The web site is good and so much better than the BOI one I was using before. Also I find the phone app very useful for making quick transfers and payments - I'm sure all the banks over here have similar apps at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

sroche88 wrote: »
    I've already looked at them. They talk more about the process of opening a bank account and not which bank is more preferable.

Nobody can tell you which is best for you - everyone's circumstances are individual. You have to research what you need, what you want and what the banks in question provide, then make a desicion based on that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

From past experience I've found UK banks sticklers for bits of paper for ID. They usually state "money laundering regulations".

Anyway, might be worth a look as a starting point:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I would recommend HSBC or
    First Direct (Online Only)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

sroche88 wrote: »
    I'll be starting a new job in London in couple weeks and will need to open a UK back account.
    Does anyone have any opinion on which is the best/easiest bank to do this with?
    Is it any benefit opening with AIB UK as thats who I bank with in Ireland?

I wouldnt even bother, not worth the trouble. Been there, done that.

I have had accounts with Nat West and Lloyds TSB, if i was to move i would go with Nationwide UK, as you can see from the other posts, each to their own. Getting an account opened is the tough bit, you can shop around after that once you settle down. If its an option, you may find it a lot easier if you have someone in London willing to act as guarantor on your account. You really wont know what they require until you walk through the door and ask. Someone said to me recently they opened one in Lloyds TSB with just a passport.

Advertisement