Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old chicken manure/straw mix ok to use now?

• 01-05-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

its been sitting in a pile in the open, not touched for the guts of 2 years, I had a look at it yesterday and it was dry and crumbly on top with bits of straw still present, no smell at all although it the heart of the pile its got a good damp "rotted grass" look to it.

I have an approx area (6mx8m) of ground that has been covered with black plastic for about to month that Im about to plant my young leaks into as well as sow a drills of Cauliflower/brocolli/celeriac into and possibily transfer my young squashes/pumpkins into later in the year and maybe even a few outdoor cucumber plants I have.

would it be okay to mix in the rotted manure/straw mix into the soil and then sow staright away or will it burn any seedlings?

I did mix a small amount of it into a few holes for rasberry plants i sat yesterday mixed with soil and watered in I also dug a trench and did a 50/50 mix with the manure/soil for some broad beans I sowed yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It's should be well rotted by now so fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maureenmax

Could anyone tell me where I could buy a cast iron bench in white. I really need oneand I would appreciate it very much if some one did know for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

maureenmax wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me where I could buy a cast iron bench in white. I really need oneand I would appreciate it very much if some one did know for me.

You might be better starting a new thread...not much in commom with chicken poo...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

I was thinking the same :P

Advertisement