Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9mth old used to self soothe to sleep but not anymore

Options
  • 01-05-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

Yet another sleep query

My little fella will be 9 months in a few days and he has been a great sleeper for past 2 1/2 months. You could put him down in his cot for naps and night sleeps and he would go off to sleep himself, maybe with a couple dodie re-insertions. But he wouldn't cry or anything. I don't think I did anything to make this happen other than following his lead and he got into this routine himself.

Now we just moved on the weekend but a few nights before we moved he had woken up at night hysterical and could only settle him with a bottle and being there with him in the room. We're in the new house only 3 days and he won't settle for any sleeps, he bawls as soon as you leave the room and basically will only go to sleep when he wears himself out and you have to be in the room. So essentially you spend 3-4 hours a day just trying to get him to sleep for naps and big sleep.

We also got a thrush infection confirmed yesterday and he has probably had it for a week or so but I didn't know what it was, but I'm not sure how this would have made him so uncomfortable that he can't sleep - he's been in great form other than the sleeping.

Basically what I'm asking is did others go through this with their 9mth old (he's 38 wks) and did it pass as a phase or is it a permanent thing that may require some sort of light sleep training? If it's likely a permanent thing then I will start trying to break the habit now but if it's a phase for a week or so then I'll ride it out and follow his lead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My 1 year old has gone through this about 3 times each time when she wasn't well. She would wake at night when not well and after maybe going in to her a few times we would bring her in to our bed. When she gets better she continues to do this out of habbit and we just need to really try to resist and leave her to it. Its hard, we never had to sleep train as she was always a great sleeper but its like a battle of wills on whos going to give up. For the past week she's been waking at 5.30 (just getting over a chest infection) the first few nights we brought her in to our bed as she wasn't well. By Sunday she was back to herself but still waking so she was still ending up in our bed. Monday night we resisted and didn't bring her in although we had to go in to her 3 times. Last night she woke but wasn't as bad so we didn't have to go in. So hopefully tonight she wont wake. That's the plan anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

he's not used to new smells,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Thanks, at least the good thing is that once he's asleep he doesn't seem to be waking again til his usual time in the morning. It's just the initial getting him to sleep. My husband had to rock his cot for ten mins last night to get him off (this was after 45 mins battle).

I'll be on my own for next few nights so I will probably try getting him to sleep in his buggy up in his room and then transfer him to cot once he's in a deep sleep. I never wanted to get into a habit like this but I really need that hour of peace before I have to go to bed myself :cool: and the longer we are trying to get him to sleep, the more upset he gets as he's so overtired.

Last night we had just gotten him down, we sat down with a cuppa to watch something finally for the first time this week and then the feckin power went off in the area. Typical

Anyone else see it as a phase and then they got back to their usual routine after a couple weeks? *silently praying*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds like he may be teething or has some bug. Any rashes, spots, puffy eyes?

Os simple has a bigger appetite that you need to tend to

ted1 wrote: »
    Sounds like he may be teething or has some bug. Any rashes, spots, puffy eyes?

Os simple has a bigger appetite that you need to tend to

He might be teething alright as teeth # 5 & 6 are bulging out.
    He has a rash on his bum from the thrush which I'm treating plus the ringworm rash, again we are treating. However he's in great form rest of the day, it's just after you put him in cot and go out of room that he bawls.

It's a bad combination of teeth, thrush and new house all in one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Have you a wind down time. My lo used to just go straight up for nap or up for the night and that was it . But now we have introduced a kind of wind down time. About 15 mins before nap she has a little snack then a drink then cuddle with me while she either watches 5 mins of tv or i read to her. She cuddles up with her comforter and sucks her thumb so calming down and relaxing. I then pop her up for a nap. At night its bath every second night. But the same kind of routine cuddle and storyand in for a sleep.
    We never had any real problems until around 8 months when she wasnt well and then had problems with her waking and not settling back and not settling down for naps so we discovered we have to clear up her toys and have a little relaxing time to calm down after playing. Ive never tried any cry it out technique as shes always been a good sleeper but i find if shes unwell and gets alot more attention she then gets in to the habit of wanting us there.
    Hopefully its just a phase and he will start to settle down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

He might be scared on his own in the new room. Trying playing with him in it during the day until he gets used to it.

He seems to be settling down now. Maybe waking once during the night crying but goes straight back to sleep once pop dodie in.

Putting him down he still doesn't like to see me leave so I sit in room with him maybe 5 mins while he plays a bit and gets sleepy, he turns away & I crawl out of the room ninja style and it seems to work and he goes off to sleep himself. This works 90% of the time.

So think it was just a phase for guts of two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary1978

my lo is 10 months and went thru something similar at 9 months for about a week, on and off. i put it down to him being a bit sick and teething. was still in great form in the day while awake... he is back to normal now so hope thats all it is!

Advertisement