Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone BB Contract up. Any alternatives

• 01-05-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Currently on 24mb (get 17mb) with Vodafone/offpeak calls/ultimate 350 gig usage limit.

I am coming to the end of contract.

I was considering switching to Sky broadband but I see the thread... I am paying 52 euro a month for the above. Are there any alternatives?

Cable not available so bitstream only.

I need a stable connection for home office.

Cheers.
    X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Xcellor wrote: »
    Hi All.

Currently on 24mb (get 17mb) with Vodafone/offpeak calls/ultimate 350 gig usage limit.

I am coming to the end of contract.

I was considering switching to Sky broadband but I see the thread... I am paying 52 euro a month for the above. Are there any alternatives?

Cable not available so bitstream only.

I need a stable connection for home office.

Cheers.
    X

Hi

Getting 17MB on a 24MB connection is not bad and €52PM is reasonable in comparison to what the likes of Eircom would charge. As for Sky for the time being forget it. Contention seems to be an issue at present for them.

Is VDSL (efibre) going to be an option for you, especially when it will be offically launched this month. If it is see what your current ISP will charge for it. If it is not then there is fixed wireless. Depending where you are in the country The Metro Express service from Digiweb offers 30Mb down and 1Mb up with anytime calls for €29.95pm for the first 3 months and €49.95pm there after. Speeds are generally close to what is stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi

Getting 17MB on a 24MB connection is not bad and €52PM is reasonable in comparison to what the likes of Eircom would charge. As for Sky for the time being forget it. Contention seems to be an issue at present for them.

Is VDSL (efibre) going to be an option for you, especially when it will be offically launched this month. If it is see what your current ISP will charge for it. If it is not then there is fixed wireless. Depending where you are in the country The Metro Express service from Digiweb offers 30Mb down and 1Mb up with anytime calls for €29.95pm for the first 3 months and €49.95pm there after. Speeds are generally close to what is stated.

Yeah I think 52 is reasonably OK for what I am getting. I will probably just go with vodafone. I dont think I need to sign a new contract just do it on a month-month basis.

I live in a village just outside Longford, surprised that it got upgraded to nextgen BB but certainly won't complain. really doubt fibre will be rolled out but I believe the main longford exchange has already had some work done to it so perhaps...

I'm reluctant to go down fixed wireless... I know its better than 3G but I like a wire coming into my house :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

On non-llu exchanges vodaphone are still the best value. They also seem to have fairly decent backhaul in non-ngb exchanges (unlike sky). Our contract ran out over a year ago and I've regularly checked around and we just go month to month. Every so often they ring up to try and get us to sign a new contract. Just ignore them, they never offer us any kind of incentive so why would we?

Advertisement