Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo help

Options
  • 01-05-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have 4 tattoos (didn’t hurt too much) but I want to get my knuckles done I was wondering how sore is it compared to the rest of the body :confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

dont do it,
    on the one hand you might think you'd love it, but on the other hand you could grow to hate them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Pain is all subjective, but I've heard fingers are very painful.

I'd think long and hard about it. Your hands are an extremely visible place to be tattooed and much as we like to think it won't, it WILL affect you in interviews and things like that.

You're not very heavily tattooed, so I'd think very long and hard. Also bear in mind that finger tattoos can be tricky to heal and can become easily faded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tattoo lover 2013

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Pain is all subjective, but I've heard fingers are very painful.

I'd think long and hard about it. Your hands are an extremely visible place to be tattooed and much as we like to think it won't, it WILL affect you in interviews and things like that.

You're not very heavily tattooed, so I'd think very long and hard. Also bear in mind that finger tattoos can be tricky to heal and can become easily faded.

I am actually going to be training as a tattoo artist so the job front won’t affect me.... I’m not looking for opinions I want to know from someone who has it done or knows of someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If you post a thread, people are going to give opinions...

As I said already, from people I know who have had finger tattoos, they found it very painful compared to their other tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tattoo lover 2013

anybody reccomend any artists that will do it as many wont do such visible tattoos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I am actually going to be training as a tattoo artist so the job front won’t affect me.... I’m not looking for opinions I want to know from someone who has it done or knows of someone

If you know that much about tattoos, then surely you would know that the ink will not hold well in any way on your knuckles, due largely to the movement of the skin. If you have an apprenticeship set up, why not discuss this with whoever is going to be training you, as they will be able to give you more information on this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

anybody reccomend any artists that will do it as many wont do such visible tattoos

You shouldn't be looking for an artist that will do it, you should be looking for an artist that will do it WELL.

If you're gonna rock up to a reputable artist now, with your 4 current tattoos, then they're not going to tattoo your knuckles for you (too right, too). Wait until you have more ink, more knowledge, more years added to your age, then you will have learned how ink reacts with skin on different parts of the body, then you can look into getting your knuckles tattooed. It's gonna be a pain to do, maybe suffer blowouts if done badly, fade quickly and require touch ups.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, most tattoo artists won't do a more visible place like hands, neck or the like unless you already have a fair bit of coverage (for want of a better term). It's not that they won't do it full stop, it's more that it's something of an extreme area if you only have a few tattoos.

At least, that's how I've understood it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Angron wrote: »
    Yeah, most tattoo artists won't do a more visible place like hands, neck or the like unless you already have a fair bit of coverage (for want of a better term). It's not that they won't do it full stop, it's more that it's something of an extreme area if you only have a few tattoos.

At least, that's how I've understood it.

Same here, another thing to bear in mind is that they'll need near constant touching up if you do get them done. Can you afford 60 odd quid every few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

P_1 wrote: »
    Same here, another thing to bear in mind is that they'll need near constant touching up if you do get them done. Can you afford 60 odd quid every few weeks?

That's not exactly true. While they wont age as well as other places on the body, the knuckle area wont fade as much as say the inside of the finger, and in saying that, I got my inside done a few months back, and hasn't faded one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I note that "training" does not mean "with someone."

Otherwise that is who would do your knuckles. Its who did mine, many years after finishing my apprenticeship. Because I am not a spanner, and wouldn't do it before I was well into my career.

Advertisement