Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Engineering 6 Hour Practical **

• 01-05-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I thought I would set up a thread regarding the dreaded 6 hour torture fest.

Any tips, tricks or valuable advice would be greatly appreciated.

A valuable tip our teacher gave us is clean and polish your pieces if you can, a shiny piece on top of the clear plastic looks well and could gain you a good couple of marks.

This is how I looked at the end of my mock

Man_Sweating_MIN.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

<snip>

Did you do it already? How was it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do not post any information or pictures of exam work.
    See this post from last year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78498919&postcount=34

Exam information edited out of previous posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Apologies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't discuss the exam until the window during which schools will be sitting it has closed.

Schools can choose to schedule the Engineering Practical up until Friday May 10th, so once that has passed, feel free to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LCstudent17

I know we cant talk about the project but does any have any idea of the marking scheme. Did mine today only half worked because a really small problem and I'm doing high level :L

• Advertisement

I know we cant talk about the project but does any have any idea of the marking scheme. Did mine today only half worked because a really small problem and I'm doing high level :L

I think its 20 % for assembly, as far as I know ..

Well it was assembled, but one of my lathe piece was too short and the two lathe pieces wouldn't touch

Well it was assembled, but one of my lathe piece was too short and the two lathe pieces wouldn't touch

Man, I not trying to sound like a teacher here, but there was little excuse for those pieces being wrong seeing as we had ages to do them.

Ya ino man kicking myself now. They were the smallest fraction out. Hopefully get at least 60-65% for it at least.

What did ye think of it lads?

• Advertisement

Very easy compared to our mock (which was like 20 years old). Once I got the through the brass it was easy going. Bit nervous drilling that 10 mm in the Perspex though.

Very easy compared to our mock (which was like 20 years old). Once I got the through the brass it was easy going. Bit nervous drilling that 10 mm in the Perspex though.

Ya it was handy enough, Had 20 minutes at the end to polish it. Filing brass is a pain in the Ass :( I drilled a 5mm pilot hole for the 10 and had no problems

Ya it was handy enough, Had 20 minutes at the end to polish it. Filing brass is a pain in the Ass :( I drilled a 5mm pilot hole for the 10 and had no problems

I heard some school got their teacher to use the milling machine to cut out the slots.. that pissed me off.. I did too but drilling plastic is a risky business none the less.

I heard some school got their teacher to use the milling machine to cut out the slots.. that pissed me off.. I did too but drilling plastic is a risky business none the less.

Had ye a problem with the lathe piece going through the 10 hole?

Advertisement