Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Lumia?

Options
  • 01-05-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

I'm due an upgrade and am very keen on getting a W8 lumia from nokia but I don't know which kind to get.
    I assume the 800 and 900 have been completely superceded by the 820 and 920? If not, why would anyone chose the 800 or 900 over the 820/920?
    I'm currently using a nokia 700 which I like because it's very small and slim.
    I see there is now a 520 too, is this the same dimensions etc as the others just with inferior spec?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

You're right, you shouldn't buy a 800 or 900 (unless you get it dirt cheap).

The 820 and 920 have similar specs but pricey, the 520 and 620 have similar specs too.

All are nice phones and, unlike android, WP8 runs great even on slower hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Why is the lumia 720 so hard to get here. For most of last year the lumia 710 was the pick of the bunch for cost vs spec, yet no carrier bothered with it. In fairness theres a massive price jump between lumia 520 and 820 which are the phones that seems to be advertised most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yes, I can't help but be suspicious of the fact only some are carried here.

And the price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

I just got myself a lumia 820 the other day, a great fone. My friend has a 920, the main diff is a better camera and better res screen in the 920. Had a lumia 800, pile of scrap i thought. But its dis continued now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'd stear clear of the 520 unless you realy need to penny pinch.

It's inferior in all regards vs the 620.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

mad muffin wrote: »
    I'd stear clear of the 520 unless you realy need to penny pinch.

It's inferior in all regards vs the 620.

Except screen size and cost

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Except screen size and cost

It's cheaper for a reason and the screen is only .2 on an inch bigger.

It's lacks the clear black filter.

You can only get maps for your own country not world wide

It lacks flash and if I'm not mistaken has less ram (I might be wrong on this one though)

There are also more things that it lacks.

Anyway here's a good review of it:

A good comparison of its screen against the rest of the lumia family:

And a review of the 620:

If you're still thinking of getting the 520 after this then it's purely because of cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The 520, 620 and 720 all have the same ram btw 512mb.

One of the big plus noted by most reviews is the better screen, especially in daylight on the 620 over the 520.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Gummybear2013

I find this website great for all phones and they sim free as well :)

http://www.phonesonline.ie/phones.html

A good comparison of its screen against the rest of the lumia family:

If you're still thinking of getting the 520 after this then it's purely because of cost.

Wow, that's an excellent post, but only a few of those phones are readily available from Irish providers?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

theres a new one coming out may 14

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

You can only get maps for your own country not worldwide.

is this right about the 520? If so glad you mentioned it. Id need maps for both Ireland and UK just for a start.

I think the 520 gets the UK and Ireland. But not anywhere else. The 620 gets everything. There were some other software features missing on the 520 as well. Check out a detailed review somewhere like GSM arena. I think the 620 gets drive + or something like that and the 520 & 720 don't. I'm not 100% sure.

My 700 only had maps for Ireland and the UK but I was able to download the maps for other countries as I went away. Is this not possible on the lumias?

My 700 only had maps for Ireland and the UK but I was able to download the maps for other countries as I went away. Is this not possible on the lumias?

The 700 had access to all maps, they just weren't downloaded yet. On the 520 you have to pay for the extra maps before you can download.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The 800 I had to download the UK and Ireland ones before I could start off using the satnav, but they were free (data or home broadband/mifi charges applied), as are any others maps I may need.

Seems a similar set up to the satnav on the older Symbian Nokia devices.

The 520 is different.

Different how?

Different how?

It's Nokia's bargain basement low end Lumia.

Everything but the bare essentials is stripped out.

It's Nokia's bargain basement low end Lumia.

Everything but the bare essentials is stripped out.
    In what way though?

I know that the camera is as step down but what else have they skimped on?

• Advertisement

In what way though?

As much as i think that forums are a good place to share ideas and talk about things, you could get all this information by just reading some reviews of the device.

In what way though?

The review I posted sums it all up really.

They skimped in the screen in a big way

The sat nav maps

No expandable memory

I'm sure there's more but I don't remember.

Have a look at the videos I posted. They will tell you everything you need to know.

The review I posted sums it all up really.

They skimped in the screen in a big way

The sat nav maps

No expandable memory

I'm sure there's more but I don't remember.

Have a look at the videos I posted. They will tell you everything you need to know.

It does have expandable memory.

Card slot microSD, up to 64 GB
    Internal 8 GB, 512 MB RAM

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_520-5322.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

BostonB wrote: »
    It does have expandable memory.

Card slot microSD, up to 64 GB
    Internal 8 GB, 512 MB RAM

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_520-5322.php

the important thing to bear in mind though is that the expandable memory can only be used for photos, music and video. Apps cannot be installed on the card, so for example some newer games that are >1gb in size will take up practically a quarter of your free space. And apps like navigon with downloadable maps could take up 3 - 4 GB depending on the countries you download. Its always possible that Microsoft and Nokia will update the OS to support SD card app installs but its not known if they're even planning to do this. An 8gb windows phone 8 device has about 5.5gb usable space before you start installing apps I think? That's a bit stingy unless you have fairly basic requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

I am planing to buy one ,but not the top model ? What model is enough fine and not too slow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

My wife changed her phone from a Lumia 800 yesterday and now finds that you cannot transfer contacts to sim. She's having difficulty moving her phone contacts.

Bit disappointing that this simple task isn't straightforward.

Why! Oh why, Nokia!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

Software is stable on lumnia ? First was interested in Android,but after I saw that software is not as good as they present it will look for some of those nokia models.

the important thing to bear in mind though is that the expandable memory can only be used for photos, music and video. Apps cannot be installed on the card, so for example some newer games that are >1gb in size will take up practically a quarter of your free space. And apps like navigon with downloadable maps could take up 3 - 4 GB depending on the countries you download. Its always possible that Microsoft and Nokia will update the OS to support SD card app installs but its not known if they're even planning to do this. An 8gb windows phone 8 device has about 5.5gb usable space before you start installing apps I think? That's a bit stingy unless you have fairly basic requirements.

The point here if that the 520 is no worse here than most other windows phones. There's the same ram in the 620 and 720. The windows phones to avoid are the ones with 4GB like the HTC 8S. Even on Android a lot of them are stuffed with bloat that you can't remove unless they are rooted. That's a issue even with the top phones like the S4. Also some apps on Android can't be moved to the SD card. But its something I'd hope will be come to windows phone soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

JOSman wrote: »
    My wife changed her phone from a Lumia 800 yesterday and now finds that you cannot transfer contacts to sim. She's having difficulty moving her phone contacts.

Bit disappointing that this simple task isn't straightforward.

Why! Oh why, Nokia!

All of her phone contacts are now stored in the cloud, most likely in her Microsoft account (or possibly Google). To get these contacts onto the replacement phone just go to outlook.com, tab over to People, click Manage and hit export. You'll get a nice CSV file that you can send to your new phone by email, Bluetooth, whatever. Unless it's a non-smartphone then it'll import them.

On the other hand, you would expect a replacement phone to at least be as good as the lumia 800, so it should be able to sync with your outlook.com / Microsoft account and get all the contacts from there. If you replaced the 800 with another windows phone then it's all automatic - just login with your Microsoft account on the new phone and it'll be just like on the old 800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

All of her phone contacts are now stored in the cloud, most likely in her Microsoft account (or possibly Google). To get these contacts onto the replacement phone just go to outlook.com, tab over to People, click Manage and hit export. You'll get a nice CSV file that you can send to your new phone by email, Bluetooth, whatever. Unless it's a non-smartphone then it'll import them.

On the other hand, you would expect a replacement phone to at least be as good as the lumia 800, so it should be able to sync with your outlook.com / Microsoft account and get all the contacts from there. If you replaced the 800 with another windows phone then it's all automatic - just login with your Microsoft account on the new phone and it'll be just like on the old 800.

Got it. Was very easy in the end. All done.

Thanks for your help.:D

Advertisement