Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Lumia?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Wow, that's an excellent post, but only a few of those phones are readily available from Irish providers?

Realistically how much of those bells and whistles do you use on a regular basis. How often do you find yourself stuck because you don't have flash or a front facing camera. I read a review of the 520 and a major criticism was that web pages loaded a second too slow than high end phones. Or another criticism was that nokia navigation was only available in Ireland, how often would you use maps outside your own country and if you were using an iphone or android you wouldn't have a native app in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Piusno1

The 820 and the 920 are way better with a Dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait and 8 GB, 1 GB RAM, the 820 has microSD, up to 64 GB The 920 has 32 GB storage, 1 GB RAM.
    These are on the Vodafone site with billpay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

censuspro wrote: »
    Realistically how much of those bells and whistles do you use on a regular basis. How often do you find yourself stuck because you don't have flash or a front facing camera. I read a review of the 520 and a major criticism was that web pages loaded a second too slow than high end phones. Or another criticism was that nokia navigation was only available in Ireland, how often would you use maps outside your own country and if you were using an iphone or android you wouldn't have a native app in the first place!

If you can't afford the 620 then those arguments might seem compelling.

The fact is, the 520 is a compromised smartphone.

You want to use a flash for video/photos or torch. You can't. You don't have one.

You are travelling overseas. You need to pay for additional maps, when the 620 comes with the ability to get free sat nav world wide.

Your viewing experience is compromised because the screen lacks the clear black filter, which if you watch the comparison video, has a lot yo offer over the 520's standard screen.

If you want to use Skype you can't as there is no front facing camera.

No nfc too. Not widely used but still it's not there if you wanted it.

If you can live with these compromises them that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 basiragi

Just to throw in my bit i have the 820..I came from android I've had a Sony experia and a SGs3 (my wife now has this phone)... Apart from the woeful battery this phone is really brilliant, camera is average and screen doesn't compete with the top of the range devices but the smooth running of the phone more than makes up for any new negatives. I can honestly say I will not go back to android after having this phone

mad muffin wrote: »
    If you can't afford the 620 then those arguments might seem compelling.

The fact is, the 520 is a compromised smartphone.

You want to use a flash for video/photos or torch. You can't. You don't have one.

You are travelling overseas. You need to pay for additional maps, when the 620 comes with the ability to get free sat nav world wide.

Your viewing experience is compromised because the screen lacks the clear black filter, which if you watch the comparison video, has a lot yo offer over the 520's standard screen.

If you want to use Skype you can't as there is no front facing camera.

No nfc too. Not widely used but still it's not there if you wanted it.

If you can live with these compromises them that's fine.

Affordability is the most compelling argument when it comes to buying a smart phone or almost any consumer product. Compare the 520 to an iphone 4 which is €400 and is also a compromised smart phone based on your selective criteria.

With the exception of a flash and a front facing camera, all the compromises you mention also exist in "high end" smart phones.

Skype - you can still use the app but you wont be able the person on the other end.

NFC - very few people use anyway and also doesn't exist on high end smart phones.

Flash - if you're a photographer, take alot of pictures in the dark or roam the woods at night this might be a deal breaker.

Maps - again, this is also a compromise on high end smart phones. I have an iphone 4 and travel a few times a year. I would still have to pay data charges if I wanted to use google maps when I'm abroad as the iphone doesn't have a native sat nav app. At least the 520 has a native app which other iphone and android phones don't so the argument that this is a compromise doesn't really stand up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

In this thread I'm strictly comparing the 620 and 520.

For and extra €50 or so over the 520 you get a much better phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

censuspro wrote: »

Some valid points for sure. I don't think any of those are a deal breaker. The 620 has a better screen in daylight, and a better speaker. Those two things certainly are a big plus for me. I 'd use the flash a bit too. But sometimes you have to make do with what you got. And you get a lot with a 520.

The 520 is more for people jumping up from a €60~80 Phone. Its a great option for those.

BostonB wrote: »
    Some valid points for sure. I don't think any of those are a deal breaker. The 620 has a better screen in daylight, and a better speaker. Those two things certainly are a big plus for me. I 'd use the flash a bit too. But sometimes you have to make do with what you got. And you get a lot with a 520.

The 520 is more for people jumping up from a €60~80 Phone. Its a great option for those.

For me, the reason I'm going for a 520 over the 620 is price and the screen size. Coming from an iphone 4 I'd rather the slightly larger screen over speakers, flash etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Funnily for me, I have been long put off smart phones because of their size and weight. I'm currently using a nokia 700 and am delighted with it's weight and size but I think it's abilities are starting to wain.
    I'm only looking because I'm due an upgrade soon but maybe I'll just wait until they can make high spec lumias smaller.

Funnily for me, I have been long put off smart phones because of their size and weight. I'm currently using a nokia 700 and am delighted with it's weight and size but I think it's abilities are starting to wain.
    I'm only looking because I'm due an upgrade soon but maybe I'll just wait until they can make high spec lumias smaller.

I think the trend in smart phone technology is to make screen sizes bigger rather than smaller, with 3.8" the smallest screen size in a high end smart phone. It looks as if a 5" screen is going to be the industry standard judging by what apple, Samsung etc have been releasing recently.

• Advertisement

brenbrady wrote: »
    I think the trend in smart phone technology is to make screen sizes bigger rather than smaller, with 3.8" the smallest screen size in a high end smart phone. It looks as if a 5" screen is going to be the industry standard judging by what apple, Samsung etc have been releasing recently.
    True but it went full circle before so I reckon it'll go full circle again.

True but it went full circle before so I reckon it'll go full circle again.

Unless you want to wait ten years before it will go full circle because manufacturers have only started launching one maybe two keynote phones per year. Although, I understand you're preference for a smaller handset and I've noticed that some people are starting to get a bit jaded with the whole smart phone/social media phenomenon in general.

brenbrady wrote: »
    Unless you want to wait ten years before it will go full circle because manufacturers have only started launching one maybe two keynote phones per year. Although, I understand you're preference for a smaller handset and I've noticed that some people are starting to get a bit jaded with the whole smart phone/social media phenomenon in general.
    Spoke too soon.

Just found out about the 925 and it's dimensions are very close to the 700.

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia925/specifications/

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

Any suggestions on where to get the best price for a sim free (or Vodafone) 620 or 820 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

JCB1 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on where to get the best price for a sim free (or Vodafone) 620 or 820 ?

Amazon is a good bet, clove.co.uk or handtec.co.uk are good too.

Advertisement