Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine question

Options
  • 01-05-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Have a Johnson 6 hp 2 stroke there
    Been a while since I last put it on water bar last week but was fuel already in the petrol tank
    Just wondering what the oil petrol ratio is in it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Have a Johnson 6 hp 2 stroke there
    Been a while since I last put it on water bar last week but was fuel already in the petrol tank
    Just wondering what the oil petrol ratio is in it

Two-stroke should be 50:1, some of the newer ones are 100:1. I've a Johnson 9.9 and its 50:1. Better to have slightly too much oil than too little IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Zzippy wrote: »
    Two-stroke should be 50:1, some of the newer ones are 100:1. I've a Johnson 9.9 and its 50:1. Better to have slightly too much oil than too little IMO.

Nice one mate
    Looks like I've no oil
    Do you know what name the oil is and would ordinary fishing shop sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Nice one mate
    Looks like I've no oil

Nice one mate
    Looks like I've no oil

Most petrol stations will sell it, just regular two-stroke oil, not the engine oil for petrol or diesel engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Don't use reguler 2 stroke oil...ghats for chainsaws and the like....you need outboard 2 stroke...for water cooled engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Don't use reguler 2 stroke oil...ghats for chainsaws and the like....you need outboard 2 stroke...for water cooled engines.

TC-W3 oil is what you're gonna need to put in the engine, if you want to do things right and keep it running for a long time.

this is what you're after... ( am not him by the way )
    http://www.adverts.ie/boats-accessories/marine-outboard-oil/1629798

TC-W3 is specifially designed for use with outboards.

breghall wrote: »
    TC-W3 oil is what you're gonna need to put in the engine, if you want to do things right and keep it running for a long time.

this is what you're after... ( am not him by the way )
    http://www.adverts.ie/boats-accessories/marine-outboard-oil/1629798

TC-W3 is specifially designed for use with outboards.
    Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

I have the same engine and the correct oil is important, any two stroke oil will not do. It's also important to use fresh petrol as petrol only has a shelf life of approx 80-90 days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Flysfisher wrote: »
    I have the same engine and the correct oil is important, any two stroke oil will not do. It's also important to use fresh petrol as petrol only has a shelf life of approx 80-90 days now.

indeed, and if the petrol is in a plastic tank dont leave it in it over the off season, condensation forms in it and your engine wont thank you for it,stick it in the lawnmower or something :)

Apologies for my incorrect advice re two stroke oil. My local petrol station always has the outboard two-stroke out front and thats the one I pick up, wasn't aware however that the other 2-stroke oil was different. Very glad I didn't pick that one up! :o

• Advertisement

Apologies for my incorrect advice re two stroke oil. My local petrol station always has the outboard two-stroke out front and thats the one I pick up, wasn't aware however that the other 2-stroke oil was different. Very glad I didn't pick that one up! :o

Sure ya learn something new everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 17 biko666

myJohnson 5 hp was 40/1 mix

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

i had an evinrude 10 xp for about 15 years that i ran on 2 stroke that was for chainsaws as i got it for free and she never missed a beat, was still going perfect when i sold it to move to 4 stroke.

Advertisement