Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with my pear trees?

• 01-05-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I have two apple trees and two pear trees in my garden. The apple trees are going great, I had a little ant problem but they are now gone and they are flowering.

My pear trees however seem to be in a bit of trouble. The leaves are curled in, even though there are growing. Attached is a photo. Is there something wrong with them?

www.imgur.com/T3xsipq

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

hi engrish.
    imho i feel the leaves are curling in because the tree is trying to conserve moisture for some reason.Also no browning/ disease/ defficiency showing on leaves.it seems like a young enough tree.Is there grass growing around the base?
    I would try watering in very well, placing a wet cardboard disc about 2/ 3ft and putting a good mulch of home made compost/ well rotted manure on top of that,and keep it slightly away from the rootstock. hope this helps,
    GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I would also suggest a good feed, my dad's were like this this time last year - and we put a bit of effort in them, as they were only 5 years old, cleaned up around the base, and mulched up cardboard and feed and well rotted chicken manure mixed it into a paste and put at the base of them all, kept the chickens from t hem and this year they are nice and healthy and we are hoping for a bumper crop this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

hi engrish.
    imho i feel the leaves are curling in because the tree is trying to conserve moisture for some reason.Also no browning/ disease/ defficiency showing on leaves.it seems like a young enough tree.Is there grass growing around the base?
    I would try watering in very well, placing a wet cardboard disc about 2/ 3ft and putting a good mulch of home made compost/ well rotted manure on top of that,and keep it slightly away from the rootstock. hope this helps,
    GL

why did you ask is there grass frowing around the base? I've grass growing around the base of my apple trees. Is this good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

hi engrish.
    GL

Hi,

I removed the grass from the base a few weeks ago, about 2" out from the base in a circle - should this be more?

I feed the trees with tomato feed once a week, the apple trees have responded very well to this and have started to flour.

I havent been watering them as much, I was afraid of over watering - should I do it daily?

Thanks for all your help

peadar76 wrote: »
    why did you ask is there grass frowing around the base? I've grass growing around the base of my apple trees. Is this good or bad?

hi peadar, i feel certainly with young fruit trees that they need all the nutrients and water they can get while getting their roots down, and they will only be competing with the grass for the same, easier to mulch and feed thru out the season without grass, young or old tree, they really benefit for it.

engrish
    that sounds fine, i would water mine well once a week in dry spells, the mulch really works well to keep moisture at the base, as the worms draw the mulch/rotted manure down i ll top it up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

hi peadar, i feel certainly with young fruit trees that they need all the nutrients and water they can get while getting their roots down, and they will only be competing with the grass for the same, easier to mulch and feed thru out the season without grass, young or old tree, they really benefit for it.

engrish
    that sounds fine, i would water mine well once a week in dry spells, the mulch really works well to keep moisture at the base, as the worms draw the mulch/rotted manure down i ll top it up again.

Cheers. how much grass should I remove? would 6 inch radius around the base be enough? And I'm sure this is very basic stuff, but define mulch. grass cuttings?

peadar76 wrote: »
    Cheers. how much grass should I remove? would 6 inch radius around the base be enough? And I'm sure this is very basic stuff, but define mulch. grass cuttings?

imo peadar 6 inches would be too small, 2 to3 ft diameter around the tree depending on how mature/size the tree is. With regards the mulch, mine would consist of both homemade compost and well rotted(year old) cow/horse/chicken manure. Some grass clippings are fine mixed thru with other materials, but not too much grass on its own as it can form sludgey layer.
    GL

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Update - watering worked well. The leaves have opened out, I'm watering every three days or so now.

I have noticed some black edges like burnt parts on the leaves. Is this from greenfly? I have just sprayed them with greenfly killer now.

engrish? wrote: »
    Update - watering worked well. The leaves have opened out, I'm watering every three days or so now.

I have noticed some black edges like burnt parts on the leaves. Is this from greenfly? I have just sprayed them with greenfly killer now.

Hi engrish
    If you could post few photos would be easier to clarify

Advertisement