Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloning a website

• 01-05-2013 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

I need to clone an existing website and deploy the cloned version under a new url. This is a legitimate business requirement and with the agreement of original site owner.

Has anyone done something similar, are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

Is this something a web developer would do and if so any ideas how much I could expect to pay?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I need to clone an existing website and deploy the cloned version under a new url. This is a legitimate business requirement and with the agreement of original site owner.

Has anyone done something similar, are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

Is this something a web developer would do and if so any ideas how much I could expect to pay?
    If you want to clone the site and make it into a content management system, it can be a fairly big job (depending on complexity of the site). If you simply want to move a static site, just login to the site via FTP, download all the source files and then upload them to the new hosting enviornment. If the site is already running on a CMS then you will need both the files and a database dump, then re-construct the site on the new server.
    If you do not have FTP access, and the site is not running on a CMS, you could use a html download tool, like this. This is not ideal though as it may miss content, so try the ftp option first.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

If you have the permission of the Original Site owner do they not have a copy of it or access via FTP to make a copy of it?

Is the site Database Run or is it just a brochure site?

A bit more info would be helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If it's not a complicated site, most of the work could be done using something like wget or an offline browser like webzip. If there's lots of stuff going on under the hood (databases, scripts etc.) then it's a different kettle of fish altogether.

If you have the original site owner's permission can they not provide the resources from backups or the like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I don't think I'll need to access the CMS which probably makes sost of the site fairly static. Would anyone be willing to take a quick look at the original site on a pm basis and tell me if cloning would be straightforward or not?

It's a business opp for me and I don't want to mess up on any details and remain loyal to exisiting OEM, hence the cloning option makes obvious sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Rafabot or Backstreet browser will download the files as HTML and organise them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I once had to rebuild a Wordpress site from the Google cache after I completely messed up a backup, and then deleted the entire site.

Wasn't too difficult as it happens.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Back
    Everything
    Up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭cormee

I once had to rebuild a Wordpress site from the Google cache after I completely messed up a backup, and then deleted the entire site.

Wasn't too difficult as it happens.. :D

Oh dear!

I hate that precise moment, when you realise you've done something like that. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I don't think I'll need to access the CMS

Famous last words ....

Advertisement