Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to ban various pesticides for 2 years,to help the Bees

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Interesting, I wonder has any study been done to see what effect if any GM crops have on bees. Must admit I oppose GM in agriculture and horticulture.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Xenophile wrote: »
    Interesting, I wonder has any study been done to see what effect if any GM crops have on bees. Must admit I oppose GM in agriculture and horticulture.

Ironically GM may be better for bees. As they modify plants to make them more resistant to pests it will reduce the need for pesticides. The resistance to drought and increased yields from GM foods have allowed previously famine-ridden countries to feed their populations too. I am, however, against the development of sterile food crops; I think that removing the ability to grow from your own harvest is potentially a huge problem in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

kylith wrote: »
    Ironically GM may be better for bees. As they modify plants to make them more resistant to pests it will reduce the need for pesticides. The resistance to drought and increased yields from GM foods have allowed previously famine-ridden countries to feed their populations too. I am, however, against the development of sterile food crops; I think that removing the ability to grow from your own harvest is potentially a huge problem in the long run.

That was the promise but Ironically the opposite seems to be happening. Pests and weeds are developing natural resistance and 'super' weeds and pests are developing. So farmers are resorting back to chemicals to keep up with nature's mutations. Monsanto had to admit this was happening and certain sectors of agri are in deep trouble in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Lillydee

I think the ban is a step in the right direction. It's a shame it's only temporary but it's only part of the story!
    I think the government/ county councils need to do far more. What about planting native species in town borders etc. People hear the term 'wild flowers' and immediately are struck by fear of unkempt/ untidy looking spaces which is simply not true! Flowers that are beneficial to pollinators are beautiful, wouldn't it be great to see some native species instead of foreign plants that are of no benefit?
    What about planting the margins of farm fields with plants for pollinators? I saw a programme about it once and it seems that everyone benefits, crops are pollinated, farmers are happy, bees are happy!
    My new raised bed is going to be dedicated to attracting and feeding our little busy pollinating army :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Our enlightened politicians abstained from the vote. We should be leading these sort of actions. Vanishing of the Bees is an interesting documentary on the subject.
    The British Soil Association was giving out free, bee friendly seeds, got a pack myself, just need to find space to plant them. Seems its over now though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lillydee wrote: »
    I think the ban is a step in the right direction. It's a shame it's only temporary but it's only part of the story!
    I think the government/ county councils need to do far more. What about planting native species in town borders etc. People hear the term 'wild flowers' and immediately are struck by fear of unkempt/ untidy looking spaces which is simply not true! Flowers that are beneficial to pollinators are beautiful, wouldn't it be great to see some native species instead of foreign plants that are of no benefit?
    What about planting the margins of farm fields with plants for pollinators? I saw a programme about it once and it seems that everyone benefits, crops are pollinated, farmers are happy, bees are happy!
    My new raised bed is going to be dedicated to attracting and feeding our little busy pollinating army :-)

CCs dont think that way and tend not to do that unfortunately.:(

In most cases its the locals volunteer groups and gardening enthusiasts in the housing estates,towns and villages around the country who actualy do more and better work the CCs will do at this moment in time.

We have lots of widlflowers and native irish plants growing in pots (from cuttings and from seed) at the moment,ready for planting out in the gardens and for our wildlife pond.

Now I live in Dublin city,and on my road,there isnt too much in the way of plants and gardens..as most people tend to dig up the garden and put in a driveway instead.

But if I can attract the bees and wildlife to our front and back garden (which we successfully have done) then I feel that Im doing my bit for the bees,hoverflys,butterflys,ladybirds and bird populations too).

I also find it very facinating and relaxing too see all these creatures in the garden and doing good too.

My girlfriend is into beekeeping and has her own hive.We have done the same on my girlfriends allotment too...lots of wildflowers and bee friendly plants and flowers to attract them in and do the pollinating for us and also give the surrounding land and crops a boost.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Lillydee

I use an amazing website called birdfood.ie it has a plant section which has tones of plants specifically for attracting bees, butterflies and pollinators etc. Last year I planted an ice plant, field scabious and iron hard and I could have spent all summer just watching what they brought to the garden. It's amazing what as little as three flowers can do!

Advertisement