Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 year old boy shoots his sister with his own rifle

• 01-05-2013 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I thought I'd misread this article, namely the bits in bold.

Yup, you have to love the American's defence of their gun laws. I never even knew that there was such a thing as a children's rifle. Only in America eh?
    (Don't worry though, Kinder eggs are illegal due to choking hazards, but real fire guns are okay for youths)

A five-year-old has accidentally shot dead his two-year-old sister as he played with his own rifle.

The tragedy happened on Tuesday afternoon at a home in southern Kentucky.

Cumberland County coroner Gary White told the Lexington Herald-Leader it was "just one of those crazy accidents."

The boy had picked up the .22-calibre Crickett gun, which he was given as a birthday present last year
    , when it went off.

Police said the family did not realise it was loaded. The children's mother was at home at the time but had just stepped away.

"She was actually cleaning her house, and she had went out on the porch," the coroner told WKYT-TV.

"She said no more than three minutes had went by and she actually heard the rifle go off. She ran back in and found the little girl."

The child was pronounced dead at Cumberland County Hospital. Doctors worked on reviving her for about an hour without success.

The coroner said the shooting would be ruled as accidental.

http://news.sky.com/story/1085554/boy-5-kills-sister-2-with-childrens-rifle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Accidental? Bloody clear cut case for Social Services if ever I saw one.

To think some parents oppose giving toy guns to 5 year olds!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

That's so sad.

Seriously though....a 5 year old with a rifle.....that's even sadder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

What an awful thing to happen. The poor girl and her family. My condolences to them. :(

I would just love to know who in their right mind would think a gun is a perfect present to give a 5 year old. Its ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

I'll be shooting someone with my pistol tonight as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If you're going to give a 4 year old a rifle, it's probably a blessing that he'll help wipe out your family gene pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to launch a range of guns that were marketed at kids?

America's double standards baffle me sometimes. Gambling is seen as a major no no but yet arming children is somehow ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Absolutely tragic story, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

grizzly wrote: »
    If you're going to give a 4 year old a rifle, it's probably a blessing that he'll help wipe out your family gene pool.

Don't be a díck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

this story has to be a month late? cannot be true. . .

staggering stuff

SV wrote: »
    Don't be a díck.

díckception

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

the right to bear arms or the right to arm bears
    whatever the hell you want to do its america.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Are they ****ing stupid over there or what? Every week there seems to be a new story like this, if not a shooting in a school.

Imbeciles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Can't read the article right now, but why was the gun loaded :confused:??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Because the parents are fucking idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lanyard

UrbanSea wrote: »
    The boy had picked up the .22-calibre Crickett gun, which he was given as a birthday present last year[/B], when it went off.

JKust had a look and Crickett's are aimed at child.

http://www.crickett.com/

They should really change their website.

Because 'Murica, thats why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Dafuq is that true? Christ, think my jaw just fell off. how dafuq is this real? Are people really that stupid to be giving gun's as presents.

This is such a tragic story. That child will suffer so much torment for the rest of their life, through no fault of their own.

Who in their right mind would allow their child to hold a loaded weapon, supervised or not? Why, oh why would there be a law allowing it too?

The US government love jumping on their high horse when footage of children carrying weapons in Africa is shown. Won't hear their outrage over this.

So sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

When I first read this article I thought that five year old boy could have been me. Or you.

I pity him having to grow up knowing he accidentally killed his own sister. With what he probably thought was a toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The stupidity level required to give a 5 year old a real gun as a present is one thing, but to give the child said gun to play with and not checking if it's loaded or not is just going full retard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I had to go and search for Crickett guns because I thought it wasn't an actual thing

It is an actual thing

"Quality Firearms for America's Youth"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

What's wrong with a responsible child having their own rifle once they are old enough to know how to use it safely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The US government love jumping on their high horse when footage of children carrying weapons in Africa is shown.
    That's pretty different, you must admit. Those are warzones, and warlords who wipe out villages, rape women and girls, and the children are given a weapon and indoctrinated into the regime.

We had a BB Rifle when I was a youngster. Quite a bit different from a real .22 though. Had an apple tree out back that made excellent practice, but those BBs are essentially non-lethal even at point blank they won't penetrate denim (and I know that because my brother is a dick - and he did that when we were all adults btw). I can't follow the necessity for a child of that age to own a full working firearm, or at that, how in the world a parent let them use it for any length of time unsupervised 3 minutes or not, or how they let them do so without clearing the chamber. If you have some convoluted reasons to give them a firearm like that it needs to be under the strictest imaginable supervision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

lanyard wrote: »
    JKust had a look and Crickett's are aimed at child.

http://www.crickett.com/

They should really change their website.

Couldn't resist clicking through...

The kids corner is a gallery of photos of children with the gun including a baby in combat gear... it also comes in pink for girls I see.

If I were to facepalm as hard as the situation requires, I'd give myself a concussion.

Sky King wrote: »
    What's wrong with a responsible child having their own rifle once they are old enough to know how to use it safely?
    So, so many things...

1. What's a 'responsible child'?
    2. How old is 'old enough'?
    3. What is 'safely'?
    4. FFS.

Kids in switzerland can use them from age 12, can't they
    5 seems a bit young. In any case, it's clear the parents didn't teach him, supervise him, or any of the rest of it

tragic story

endacl wrote: »
    So, so many things...

1. What's a 'responsible child'?
    2. How old is 'old enough'?
    3. What is 'safely'?
    4. FFS.

They can operate it under supervision can't they?

I don't condone giving loaded firearms to toddlers but ffs, lets not blame the firearm manufacturer (as a lot of people on here seem to be doing).

Well I suppose some could make an argument for that, but I doubt anybody would argue that applies in this case.

I'd have thought some law was broken here, 4 year olds can't be allowed to have rifles without serious consequences for those who fail to supervise them. It's more than stupidity and accidental, it's grossly negligent.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Just had a look at Crikett's website too..

Oh my god. I honestly cannot believe it, rifles aimed at children? It sickens me. how can they call themselves a civilised country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

What's wrong with parents who believe their child is responsible enough to own a gun when they're clearly not. Sorry but most humans are idiots.

They can operate it under supervision can't they?

I don't condone giving loaded firearms to toddlers but ffs, lets not blame the firearm manufacturer (as a lot of people on here seem to be doing).
    I don't think many are blaming the manufacturer as such, just flabbergasted that such a manufacturer exists at all. In the same way that in 100 years people might feel flabbergasted that companies used to make and sell cigarettes. I'm sure the slave trade seemed normal at one time. And merchants got involved to make an honest and legal buck. It's all about context.

I find guns designed for toddlers just as perplexing. The fact that somewhere, that is seen as acceptable enough to build a segment of an industry around.

I blame the parents. Idiots.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Just had a look at Crikett's website too..

Oh my god. I honestly cannot believe it, rifles aimed at children? It sickens me. how can they call themselves a civilised country?
    Well, that'd be bad anywhere...

;)

endacl wrote: »
    Well, that'd be bad anywhere...

;)

Probably could have phrased that better :D

A rifle industry aimed at children*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

At five you shouldn't even have an airsoft rifle let alone a real gun, tragic story.

• Advertisement

This thread is full of goddam hippy left wing terrorists so it is :mad:

Join us. You know you want to!

:P

Put down the gun and walk slowly away.

I don't suppose your solution to this problem is to arm 2 year olds with rifles too in case their 4 year old brother aims a gun at them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

The world is definitely getting more nd mere stupud as d hoors pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Whoever bought him the gun needs their head checked. You give a five year old legos, not a feckin rifle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

.22 lr is the standard caliber rifle used in Ireland, 18 is the min age to get a tightly controlled and regulated licence, 16 for shot guns.
    i am generally pro gun with tight controls if there's such a thing in Ireland but any one who lets a five year old have access to even a air soft gun should be freaking neutered.

Whoever bought him the gun needs their head checked. You give a five year old legos, not a feckin rifle.
    In fairness, you'd never have to go to A&E with a five year old who'd got their rifle stuck up their nose...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Pinewoo

UrbanSea wrote: »
    as he played with his own rifle.

Chortle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

bluewolf wrote: »
    Kids in switzerland can use them from age 12, can't they
    5 seems a bit young.

Seems a bit young?? of course it's too bloody young! 5 year olds should be playing with toys, not learning how to use guns ffs.

And Switzerland is a whole other story, they have a completely different attitude and culture towards gun ownership and the reasons behind it than the US. They have a much greater sense of responsibility and safety around gun use.

Those 12 year olds you mention fire their weapons in controlled safe environments like local gun clubs under adult supervision and they're taught how to use them properly and to have respect for them.

They're not just left lying around the place at home to be picked up by 5 year olds who have no concept of what guns can do, or given as fcuking birthday presents by imbecile parents who clearly shouldn't be left in charge of a goldfish never mind a child!

I pity the 5 yr. old child, his life is now ruined as well because of the negligence and stupidity of his parents :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yeah.. comparing the Swiss and American attitude towards guns is a bit pointless. The Swiss are, in general.. just a whole lot more goddamn responsible.. about everything, not just gun ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

.22 lr is the standard caliber rifle used in Ireland, 18 is the min age to get a tightly controlled and regulated licence, 16 for shot guns.

Not true..can get a licnce for any type of firearm at 16...rifle/shotgun/pistol.

Greentopia wrote: »
    Seems a bit young?? of course it's too bloody young! 5 year olds should be playing with toys, not learning how to use guns ffs.

And Switzerland is a whole other story, they have a completely different attitude and culture towards gun ownership and the reasons behind it than the US. They have a much greater sense of responsibility and safety around gun use.

Those 12 year olds you mention fire their weapons in controlled safe environments like local gun clubs under adult supervision and they're taught how to use them properly and to have respect for them.

They're not just left lying around the place at home to be picked up by 5 year olds who have no concept of what guns can do, or given as fcuking birthday presents by imbecile parents who clearly shouldn't be left in charge of a goldfish never mind a child!

I pity the 5 yr. old child, his life is now ruined as well because of the negligence and stupidity of his parents :(

Well yes that was my point... supervision and training and attitude were the problems, not "omg no kids near guns EVER"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

i am generally pro gun with tight controls if there's such a thing in Ireland but any one who lets a five year old have access to even a air soft gun should be freaking neutered.

You are slightly off the mark there. You can get a training licence here in Ireland at 14. That means that you can use the firearm under supervision.

You can get your own licence at 16, for a rifle, pistol, revolver, shotgun, airgun etc, on any calibre firearm allowed legally, provided that the Super/Chief Super thinks that you are ok to have it.

Leaving a gun where a 5 year old can get unsupervised access to it seems criminal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Blay wrote: »
    Not true..can get a licnce for any type of firearm at 16...rifle/shotgun/pistol.

Can I please have a centrefire pistol so. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement