Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backups

• 01-05-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭

We all have our own systems for keeping our work backed up. Just wondering if people would like to share their methods and maybe give some tips on best practice in this area.

I'm particularly interested in learning how people determine the frequency of their backups and whether they are versioned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Are you talking for a business or just personal? My home solution is Robocopy with /MIR switch and Task Scheduler. Daily backups to my NAS of most folders, weekly backups of some slow folders. Also, daily backups spread out among cloud services (Skydrive, SugarSync and Box at the moment). I don't do any versioning, too much space needed, not enough benefit.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭_ciaran_

Sorry, my initial post wasn't very clear, I'm referring specifically to websites.

What backup routines and methods do people implement on their builds as a safeguard against the site getting hacked or the client managing to break something.

I recently had a WP website go tits up and had to a restore from a week old DB file. The client lost a few blog posts as a result. They wanted to know why I only have weekly backups running as opposed to daily and I explained that I felt, given the size of the site and the regularity of the updates to it, weekly backups are appropriate. The client is now asking me to implement versioned backups on a daily basis.

I'm just wondering how others determine the regularity of their backups and what methods they use. I thought it might be an interesting discussion as everyone I've asked about this seems to have a different take on what is best practice.
    I don't do any versioning, too much space needed, not enough benefit.

Thats generally how I view it but I guess it comes down to the context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

_ciaran_ wrote: »
    I recently had a WP website go tits up and had to a restore from a week old DB file. The client lost a few blog posts as a result. They wanted to know why I only have weekly backups running as opposed to daily and I explained that I felt, given the size of the site and the regularity of the updates to it, weekly backups are appropriate. The client is now asking me to implement versioned backups on a daily basis.

Depends on the contract. Had backups been factored into the contract? Backups are maintainence work, even if it's automated. If they're not paying then zero backups. If they're paying for weekly they get weekly, if they want daily they get daily.

If they turn around after never discussing backups before and demand you do daily backups from there on in, no problem. That'll be X amount of money please.

You guys have that EC2 right? There's a good few scripts out there that'll allow you to backup your WP db to your EC2.

We use a plugin for WP that does weekly backups to dropbox, and it's versioned. You can set it to daily/monthly/yearly too. Away at the moment but when I'm back I'll let you know the plugin name etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭_ciaran_

KonFusion wrote: »
    Depends on the contract. Had backups been factored into the contract? Backups are maintainence work, even if it's automated. If they're not paying then zero backups. If they're paying for weekly they get weekly, if they want daily they get daily.

If they turn around after never discussing backups before and demand you do daily backups from there on in, no problem. That'll be X amount of money please.

You guys have that EC2 right? There's a good few scripts out there that'll allow you to backup your WP db to your EC2.

We use a plugin for WP that does weekly backups to dropbox, and it's versioned. You can set it to daily/monthly/yearly too. Away at the moment but when I'm back I'll let you know the plugin name etc.

I'm currently using a plugin that is backing up automatically to an S3 bucket which is grand. Probably the same thing you are using, I think it's called Updraft plus or something.

I'm just wondering how people approach the issue generally though.

Lets say you build a small site for a football club or something that contains a regularly updated blog. It is unlikely they are going to ask you about backups let alone know what versioning is. Would you not have something in place in case they manage to screw things up or would you just fob them off pointing to the contract (or lack thereof).

I'd have thought that it's probably worth putting a weekly backup of the DB in place to cover this type of event.

Advertisement