Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mundell fleming model and Ireland

• 01-05-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Can the mundell fleming model be used concerning ireland/icelend/or any a small open economy regards what type of monetary policy they are using in a fixed/flexible exchange system.

I have read the mundel fleming model but how can I link it to ireland. e.g if Ireland were to peg its currency to the sterling. it would need lots of foreign reserves to protect itself against economic shocks. How can I link this to the Flemming model ?

Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

ebayissues wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can the mundell fleming model be used concerning ireland/icelend/or any a small open economy regards what type of monetary policy they are using in a fixed/flexible exchange system.

I have read the mundel fleming model but how can I link it to ireland. e.g if Ireland were to peg its currency to the sterling. it would need lots of foreign reserves to protect itself against economic shocks. How can I link this to the Flemming model ?

Any suggestions appreciated

Are you asking whether the Mundell-Fleming model can be used to analyse exchange rate/currency crisis'?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

andrew wrote: »
    Are you asking whether the Mundell-Fleming model can be used to analyse exchange rate/currency crisis'?

Yes/no, its more of using it to back up analysis of why Small open economies should choose floating or fixed exchange rates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

ebayissues wrote: »
    Yes/no, its more of using it to back up analysis of why Small open economies should choose floating or fixed exchange rates.

As far as I remember, the mundell-fleming model is just used to analyse/demonstrate the trilemma, and what policy constraints exist under each exchange rate regime. So it can't really be used to say what a small open economy 'should' do, since it doesn't make a distinction itself between small and large economies.

Advertisement