Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back on the bike.

• 01-05-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

So after a 20 year hiatus I bit the bullet last year and got a bike on the Cycle to work scheme (before I lost my job). Like numerous others my bike then sat in the shed gathering dust for more than a few months. After a bit of nagging from her indoors along the lines of: "If you're not going to use that bike will ya ever just sell it" I then accumulated some gear to get me going from our friendly Lidl & Aldi stores. I also downloaded the map-my-ride app and that was me set to go.... Well I went on the tear for just 1 last weekend and then I was ready...:o
    So, last November; my first outing I thought I'd take it nice and handy and see how I go with 15/20 kms. Jumped up on the bike mid morning when I thought the least amount of the neighbours would be gaaking out their windows:) The 1st 1-2 kms from my house are pretty flat or even a slight decline if anything, these 1 or 2 kms were mostly spent reminding myself that I wasn't a youngfella anymore.
    Anyway about 10 km into the spin I came across a bit of a hill but I knew the road and new there was a nice decline on the other side so up I went... only climbs for a few hundred meters and not really that steep, how hard can it be I thought? Well I thought I'd never get up that hill!! I honestly thought I was going to have to stop and get sick on the side of the road:o:o
    But I stuck with the cycling and as time went on the bonks got fewer and further between and the distances covered increased.

Now almost 6 months later my spins are generally of the order of 70km and up.
    What really surprised me was the progress I made in a relatively short space of time. And I do find that I'm enjoying cycling more now. I also did a day of the Cycle Against Suicide last week which was my 1st group cycle in my current guise:P

So I'm officially hooked!! Next up I'm thinking of doing a few more sportives including the 100k in the Stephen Roche Tour de Cure on Sunday week in Midleton.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Fair play to you..started cycling in November myself and am now 2 stone lighter and am addicted...going to do the Tour of Sligo this Sunday. doing the 100 km route as i am not brave enough to try 160 just yet..averaging about 170 km a week at the moment but am trying to push that out but with family and work its hard to get time some weeks...anyway keep up the good progress you have made so far and best of luck in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

Hi Guys I am just getting back into it myself nowhere near some of the mill age being done by some in this forum just did my fist 30k in well over a few years today Sunday. Legs are ok..ish but the butt is still getting used to it. When I lived in the city a few years back getting out was no problem as it was pretty flat no matter which way you went it was pretty flat now However I live in Watergrasshill which is one of the highest villages in the country so no matter which way you go it is a dreaded hill home. Despite this I have dusted off the bike and I am really motivated at giving it my all this time. Reading through some if the posts here I can see there is a lot to this cycling game and any help for a newbie like myself or any newbies reading would be great help.
    Things like best shorts for comfort
    Best shirts for comfort
    Essential kit to have on a cycle
    Essential maintenance pre and post cycle
    What tools you must absolutely have in the shed
    How often should you clean/lube your chain
    What other parts need regular lube

Also this whole pedal thing has me boggled SPD, Cleats, Clipless ect and what shoes go with which..:(

I know these are lots of questions however they may be essential to complete novices like myself (please remember you all started as beginners one day with lots of questions) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭nilhg

New2bike wrote: »
    Hi Guys I am just getting back into it myself nowhere near some of the mill age being done by some in this forum just did my fist 30k in well over a few years today Sunday. Legs are ok..ish but the butt is still getting used to it. When I lived in the city a few years back getting out was no problem as it was pretty flat no matter which way you went it was pretty flat now However I live in Watergrasshill which is one of the highest villages in the country so no matter which way you go it is a dreaded hill home. Despite this I have dusted off the bike and I am really motivated at giving it my all this time. Reading through some if the posts here I can see there is a lot to this cycling game and any help for a newbie like myself or any newbies reading would be great help.
    Things like best shorts for comfort
    Best shirts for comfort
    Essential kit to have on a cycle
    Essential maintenance pre and post cycle
    What tools you must absolutely have in the shed
    How often should you clean/lube your chain
    What other parts need regular lube

Also this whole pedal thing has me boggled SPD, Cleats, Clipless ect and what shoes go with which..:(

I know these are lots of questions however they may be essential to complete novices like myself (please remember you all started as beginners one day with lots of questions) :)

I know it's not exactly what you want to hear just now but hills (and the wind) make you strong. I was in the same boat as you back last spring, the only way to improve is to get out on the bike regularly, the spins don't have to be long, you'll build up the distance as you get stronger but IMHO you need to get out 3 or 4 times a week, take a few rest days together (take a breather when you are out if you need it too) and go on again after that.

The most important gear to get at the start is a good pair of padded shorts, I'd recommend DHB from wiggle, I use them myself, find them great and the sizing is UK/Irish which makes buying off the internet easier.

Apart from that the Aldi/Lidl gear is fine for most occasions, you wont be long cycling and you'll figure out what you need.

For tools get a decent multi tool and a good track pump so your wheels are correctly inflated, I have the older version of this but you'll get one in your LBS either.

Keep up the spinning and let us know how you are getting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

Thanks Alot Nilhg, really appreciate it. Yes I am sure when I am back at it a while I will figure out all the bits and bobs along the way. I have that same track pump that you suggested purchased from Halfords about a month ago find it spot on, also just ordered those Dhb bib shorts from wiggle with free delivery which is handy cheers for that.
    One other question do most people on here do a pre cycle stretch routein found my hamstrings a little tight on tonights spin also are there any pre cycle checks that are essential before hitting the road Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

A quick enough 40km this morning, just a smige over 1hr 30mins. A little bit breezy out which helped for the most part.

• Advertisement

Right so, I've decided to consider the possibility of once again joining a cycling club. Not a racing club now, I've not completely lost the plot!!, but a 'sportive' club/group.. of which there are a few around here I've heard. I've been doing spins the last few weeks of between 60 and 90km on my own and according to the app on my phone I'm averaging 23km/hr. I wonder will I still be a little bit off the pace for these groups though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Mugser wrote: »
    Right so, I've decided to consider the possibility of once again joining a cycling club. Not a racing club now, I've not completely lost the plot!!, but a 'sportive' club/group.. of which there are a few around here I've heard. I've been doing spins the last few weeks of between 60 and 90km on my own and according to the app on my phone I'm averaging 23km/hr. I wonder will I still be a little bit off the pace for these groups though?

You will be a bit off the pace of the faster club riders, but many clubs have different groups or beginners spins. You will find that you cycle faster in a group. Also, you can always go and hang with the spin for as long as you can and then pootle back at your own pace. Either way, persist and you can then mix solo spins with group ones. Also having prearranged group rides drags you out at times or in conditions you might otherwise give it a miss.
    By the way, did you get to do the tour de cure, and how did you get on?

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    You will be a bit off the pace of the faster club riders, but many clubs have different groups or beginners spins. You will find that you cycle faster in a group. Also, you can always go and hang with the spin for as long as you can and then pootle back at your own pace. Either way, persist and you can then mix solo spins with group ones. Also having prearranged group rides drags you out at times or in conditions you might otherwise give it a miss.
    By the way, did you get to do the tour de cure, and how did you get on?

Thanks for that, now to decide which one:P
    Did the 100k in the tour de cure, yeah, in just under 4 hours. Twas a good enough day both in terms of organisation and weather. And I've signed up for the 160k in the Sean Kelly one in August so that's something for me to aim for.

Ok, so as 2012 draws to a close I look at my strava data and see I've clocked up close on 8,500 km, and probably spent a figure in the thousands on cycling related stuff also :P (just as well I got some work there for a few months!!)
    The pace is up, the fitness is up, I'm eating well, feeling well and most importantly, I'm really enjoying my time on the bike. The mild weather has certainly played it's part too.
    Now contrary to a previous statement of mine; I have completely now lost the plot and am planning on going racing next year, the licence in paid for (altough it hasn't arrived yet) Christmas present to myself, and I've studied the race calender up to around mid May and picked out a few events. The 1st possible one of which is the Ned Flanagan Memorial on Feb 16th Monasterevin, Co Kildare.... Which is only 8 weeks away.
    Will see how things fare out in the mean time.

M out.

Advertisement