Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I move UPC modem to another house temporarily?

• 01-05-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one.

I'm transferring my existing UPC over to my new place on Monday, but until then I'm without TV and internet. I was hoping to have it moved by Friday for a particular reason but it doesn't look like that will happen.

My question is, can I simply borrow my parents modem for the night, and plug it into the connection in my new place, and have it work? Or do UPC need to pair the modem to the connection in the wall somehow?

Thanks.

(PS, this is assuming the wall point in the new place is active)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I don't think it will work, because normally the engineer calls the office to enable the circuit during install.

No harm trying, but it may not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Might work, but I suspect not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ED E wrote: »
    Might work, but I suspect not.

umm as far as I know it's just mac level authentication so it should work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Dammit, I wont be able to test it anyway, since the parents basically told me where to go, when I asked could I take their internet for the night!
    I did borrow the spare TV digibox though, and thats working away here no bothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have neighbours in range they might oblige too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It should work fine, UPC relies on the modem for verification of broadband package (Mac address and I think there are certificates on the modem also), unlike Eircom who activate the actual line. Once the area is cabled for UPC broadband, it should work no problems, I've done it before (moved flat and plugged modem into new one broadband worked fine)

Nick

Advertisement