Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Ultimate - Annoying Problems

Options
  • 01-05-2013 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

1. Have a window open and start typing and its shrinks down to taskbar.

2. Start/Search. Type in something and get a list of files but can only work with one file at a time. When finished with that have to type in the search word all over again.

3.It won't do restarts.

Any workarounds/tweaking I can do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

sounds like an annoying virus. What anti virus software have you installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

sounds like an annoying virus. What anti virus software have you installed?

With which, 1,2,3...... Using Avast, and MWB turns up nowt.

2. Search: I've turned off index searching and feeling better all ready:D

3. Not Restarting, seems to be a common problem might post this up in the windows forum, but might be too techie for this pooor soul to deal with:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

With problem 1, you aren't accidentally hitting off of the Win key and then when you press M it minimises? Could be an issue with your Win key either?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Very much doubt it's a virus, are all your drivers up to date? Dodgy drivers can mess up boot/shutdown times, could be a faulty keyboard causing the other issues?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Very much doubt it's a virus, are all your drivers up to date? Dodgy drivers can mess up boot/shutdown times, could be a faulty keyboard causing the other issues?

Nick

Was assured they were b4 buying this a few weeks ago.

Whats the best way of checking this nick, in devise manager or is there a reliable tool that would search for updates that you'd recommend.

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Was assured they were b4 buying this a few weeks ago.

Whats the best way of checking this nick, in devise manager or is there a reliable tool that would search for updates that you'd recommend.

Just look for more recent, video card, sound card, component card (wifi adaptors etc.), video etc. drivers online. Device manager should show you the chipset/hardware your device uses. If it's an OEM build (Dell, HP etc.) grab the drivers from their website for your particular model

Nick

I don't like libraries so I keep cd tracks on memory stick only and drag and drop to WMP when I want to play which all worked well till recently.

Now when I open the folder on the memory stick there is a load of album art junk there is there any way of preventing this happening.

I haven't even opened the player yet.:(

MEMORYSTICKAART****_zpsb521086a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I don't like libraries so I keep cd tracks on memory stick only and drag and drop to WMP when I want to play which all worked well till recently.

Now when I open the folder on the memory stick there is a load of album art junk there is there any way of preventing this happening.

I haven't even opened the player yet.:(

MEMORYSTICKAART****_zpsb521086a.jpg

WMP is probably set to automatically retrieve song info. you should be able to disable this in options.

yoyo wrote: »
    Just look for more recent, video card, sound card, component card (wifi adaptors etc.), video etc. drivers online. Device manager should show you the chipset/hardware your device uses. If it's an OEM build (Dell, HP etc.) grab the drivers from their website for your particular model

Nick

All the drivers are up to date all right. Anything else I could try.

When I do a Restart, it seems to shut down completely as normal, screen goes blank and then the HP Invent blue and white screen comes up as if (I think) it was trying to restart and then screen goes blank again and thats it.

Then to start it up I have to do the forced shut down first or just unplug it.

All the drivers are up to date all right. Anything else I could try.

When I do a Restart, it seems to shut down completely as normal, screen goes blank and then the HP Invent blue and white screen comes up as if (I think) it was trying to restart and then screen goes blank again and thats it.

Then to start it up I have to do the forced shut down first or just unplug it.

Hmm, could be bad caps if I'm understanding your issues correctly. Open up the case and look around for any bulging/blown capacitors, as below illustrates:
    close-up-sm.jpg

Nick

• Advertisement

Everything looks well under the bonnet:D I'm usually pretty sharp at noticing if anything looks a bit strange. Motherboard temp is steady at 42°

Its more of an inconvenience than anything else, no other probs so not too worried.

Advertisement