Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern München vs Borussia Dortmund - UCL Final 12/13 - k/o 7:45pm

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

murpho999 wrote: »
    I've always enjoyed RTE and Dunphy, for the crack and their passion.

Don't understand what they are on about tonight.

Munich after numerous final defeats make sure of a win and Dunphy says they are poor.

Also says German football is weak after the first German final.

Really amazed, not every team can be Barcelona and not every winner is the best in Europe.

Chelsea and Liverpool being examples of this.
    Well so far he hasn't compared the result to "a donkey winning the Grand National" or that "in no meaningful sense are <Bayern> the best team in Europe" - although he has kinda implied the latter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, and I'll keep watching whilst the others have Southgate and Redknapp.

Southgate literally said
    "Its one of those chances that either goes in or it doesn't"
    earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Southgate literally said earlier.

Eh, he said it was like the Night of the Long Knives when talking about Heynckes leaving. That can't be topped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Someone needs to tell John Giles after all these years that the 'a' is silent in Bayern. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Renn wrote: »
    Eh, he said it was like the Night of the Long Knives when talking about Heynckes leaving. That can't be topped.

What's so funny about that??

Ardent wrote: »
    What's so funny about that??

The Night of the Long Knives was a purge that took place in Nazi Germany between June 30 and July 2, 1934, when the Nazi regime carried out a series of political murders.

whereas a manager was potentially edged out of his position at a club due to not getting along with the hierarchy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

over on sky, jamie redknapp is spouting some nonsense.\

there are no decent options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Miguel Delaney ‏@MiguelDelaney
    Klopp: "Everything was great. Only result is so ****, I can't... [trails off]"

Klopp has mastered the post-match interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

DazMarz wrote: »
    "German Football is weak" - Eamon Dunphy

Eamon Dunphy is weak - everyone else...
    He's 100% right there.

This was not a final celebrating German football so much as an indicment of it. Goetze gone, Lewandowski and others off too probably to Bayern, leaving it basically a one team league. The Premier League and La Liga are still by far superior leagues and truly the homes of football. Fair play to Dortmund though, they played great football this season and hopefully they can rebuild again and challenge Bayern next season. Unlikely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Brilliant!

94307625322567482035781.jpg

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Brilliant!

94307625322567482035781.jpg

*Coughpostedearliercough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

261723_661597773866160_808175373_n.jpg

wheh wheh wheh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That_Guy wrote: »
    Pep's Barca is essentially still there under different guidance and they got thrashed by Bayern Munich.

Hardly ,they are a shadow of the team they were ,alot of players are out of form ,jaded or carrying injuries.
    Watch the 2011 final again and compare it to the tempo of the team that played Bayern last month .

The Barca of 2011 would destroy that Bayern team ,they would be meat and drink to them.
    Bayern are still mentally suspect and if they had gone a goal down tonight I think they would have panicked.

Hardly ,they are a shadow of the team they were ,alot of players are out of form ,jaded or carrying injuries.
    Watch the 2011 final again and compare it to the tempo of the team that played Bayern last month .

The Barca of 2011 would destroy that Bayern team ,they would be meat and drink to them.
    Bayern are still mentally suspect and if they had gone a goal down tonight I think they would have panicked.

Sure EPO withdrawal will have that effect on you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Ribery should have been sent off

Dante should have been sent off

Dortmund robbed of that match by UEFA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Absolutely spot on. That Barcelona performance in the final of 2011 was frightening, imo the greatest performance I've ever seen any team produce in a major final, any team could have played them that night and they would have walked off the pitch empty handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

How the hell are they mentally suspect? Losing two finals in the last three years and then it looked like this was going in to ET - to go and get the winner after all that in the 88th min is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Downlinz

K4t wrote: »
    He's 100% right there.

This was not a final celebrating German football so much as an indicment of it. Goetze gone, Lewandowski and others off too probably to Bayern, leaving it basically a one team league. The Premier League and La Liga are still by far superior leagues and truly the homes of football. Fair play to Dortmund though, they played great football this season and hopefully they can rebuild again and challenge Bayern next season. Unlikely though.

Both major La Liga sides are in decline and Malaga/Atletico/Valencia/Bilbao are regularly plucked of their best players. The Premier League doesn't even come into the equation for me, the biggest one team league of them all with a single team having won 70% of the premier leagues, a lot of instability with 3 of the top 4 losing their manager and arguably not a single world class player in the league these days.
    You can pick holes in any of the leagues is what I'm saying. Bundesliga has had 4 of the last 8 Champions league finalists and both the current finalists which is probably the best way to judge.

Renn wrote: »
    How the hell are they mentally suspect? Losing two finals in the last three years and then it looked like this was going in to ET - to go and get the winner after all that in the 88th min is pretty impressive.

They flopped against Inter in 2010 ,they flopped against Chelsea last year and they didnt show up for the first 30 minutes tonight ,they were all nerves.

• Advertisement

People need to stop judging based off one performance in a final where they were probably very nervous. This was this groups first major trophy, it was not Barca 2011's. If you remember in 2009 Barca were choking all over the place against Chelsea in Semi's.
    I'd argue Bayern against both Juve and Barca in the ties this year were a match for Barca at their very best. You might say it was a shadow of the great Barca or whatever but it was still a Champions League semi-finalist which they slaughtered 7-0. Shadow or not doing that to a top 4 team in Europe at any time is frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I hereby refuse to give any comments on the match, otherwise I risk a ban.

But I hereby declare, that I am proud to be a Borussia Dortmund supporter.

Downlinz wrote: »
    People need to stop judging based off one performance in a final where they were probably very nervous. This was this groups first major trophy, it was not Barca 2011's. If you remember in 2009 Barca were choking all over the place against Chelsea in Semi's.
    I'd argue Bayern against both Juve and Barca in the ties this year were a match for Barca at their very best. You might say it was a shadow of the great Barca or whatever but it was still a Champions League semi-finalist which they slaughtered 7-0. Shadow or not doing that to a top 4 team in Europe at any time is frightening.

Barcelona always did the business in almost every final they played during Guardiolas time,the difficulties they endured mostly came over 2 legs.They were mentally tough .

I do not see that toughness in this Bayern side ,they look suspect in finals but now that they have won it ,they can only be the better for it .

It was a good final ,very open and exciting unlike so many previous finals.
    It has been a good year for European football, 8 good sides in the last 8 who all played open football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Timmyctc wrote: »
    The Night of the Long Knives was a purge that took place in Nazi Germany between June 30 and July 2, 1934, when the Nazi regime carried out a series of political murders.

whereas a manager was potentially edged out of his position at a club due to not getting along with the hierarchy :pac:

Night of the long knives is now a common expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Funny that turn of phrase turns up with two German teams in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

That_Guy wrote: »
    Waiting for the day when somebody drops that cup over the side.
    Will this do for now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Someone needs to tell John Giles after all these years that the 'a' is silent in Bayern. :pac:

No point, he'd forget.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Barcelona always did the business in almost every final they played during Guardiolas time

There was 2 Champions League finals, hardly a significant sample size. Copa Del Rey record is hardly standout either, given the competition it is.

I do agree that Guardiola's side were fantastic. Drawing conclusion based on 2/3 games though is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I really enjoyed the game last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

sea_monkey wrote: »
    Ribery should have been sent off

Dante should have been sent off

Dortmund robbed of that match by UEFA

Lewys stamp of sorts could have been a red also. I dont think anyone can begrudge munich there win, dortmunds pressing and style is fantastic and are a very likeable team but it isint worth jack **** if you defend and pass so poorly in your own half. If robben wasent so greedy/had a barca style hame munich could have scored 4 or 5 last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Best team won.

Going to hurt Doetmund fans for quite some time if forever.

I enjoyed the game have to say. Thought Bayern might crumble when they conceded the Peno but fair play they didn't.

Best 2 teams were in the final.

• Advertisement

Barcelona always did the business in almost every final they played during Guardiolas time,the difficulties they endured mostly came over 2 legs.They were mentally tough .

I do not see that toughness in this Bayern side ,they look suspect in finals but now that they have won it ,they can only be the better for it .

It was a good final ,very open and exciting unlike so many previous finals.
    It has been a good year for European football, 8 good sides in the last 8 who all played open football.

Barca had the best side in Europe on paper during the rijkaard era as well and only won the champions league once. Guys like Xavi and Puyol experienced long careers choking for Spain before they finally started conquering on a consistent basis.

No reason why Bayern couldn't develop that mental resilience, now that they've done it I doubt they'd be so tentative in a final again because they looked a shadow of their normal self yesterday in a season they'd been fantastic almost every game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Well deserved win for Bayern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

Bayern have such a strong, talented team that it's such a shame to see them diving so much. Diving is cheating. Thomas Muller is such a talented player it's sad to see him going to ground so much, Robben has always been a diver but Ribery is such a great player his "performance" in the final would have been comical if it wasn't so depressing. It's just so sad and unnecessary. They could have won without it.

Schwalbe.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Boskowski wrote: »
    Good luck nuri, lars and the rest of you. Lets hope for a cracking match.

COME ON BAYERN!

Prediction: 4:2 Bayern

Congrats man.

I don't see the point in people saying Bayern deserved to have lads sent off. Fact of the matter is that they weren't sent off and Bayern won. There's bad calls in a lot of games, particularly in Champions League knockout stages this year, but it shouldn't take away from Bayern being the European Champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Downlinz wrote: »
    Both major La Liga sides are in decline and Malaga/Atletico/Valencia/Bilbao are regularly plucked of their best players. The Premier League doesn't even come into the equation for me, the biggest one team league of them all with a single team having won 70% of the premier leagues, a lot of instability with 3 of the top 4 losing their manager and arguably not a single world class player in the league these days.
    You can pick holes in any of the leagues is what I'm saying. Bundesliga has had 4 of the last 8 Champions league finalists and both the current finalists which is probably the best way to judge.
    Where to start...

The 'big four' has been a part of the PL for years now, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and formerly Liverpool (now Man City), big 3 now granted as Arsenal are not currently contenders for the league.

Not a single world class player?! RVP, Mata, Hazard, Wilshire, Bale, Ferdinand, Vidic, De Gea, Yaya, Silva, Aguero are all world class in their respective positions. And they're just the obvious ones.

And the PL had 8 finalists of the 8 finals before this year's, 09/10 the only year without a PL finalist. That's not to mention the number of 1/4 and 1/2 final appearances by the PL clubs. So no that's not the best way to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

K4t wrote: »
    Where to start...

The 'big four' has been a part of the PL for years now, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and formerly Liverpool (now Man City), big 3 now granted as Arsenal are not currently contenders for the league.

Not a single world class player?! RVP, Mata, Hazard, Wilshire, Bale, Ferdinand, Vidic, De Gea, Yaya, Silva, Aguero are all world class in their respective positions. And they're just the obvious ones.

And the PL had 8 finalists of the 8 finals before this year's, 09/10 the only year without a PL finalist. That's not to mention the number of 1/4 and 1/2 final appearances by the PL clubs. So no that's not the best way to judge.
    Huh? What exactly is world class to you if you include the ones in bold. If we are talking in the present then its a bit late for Ferdinand, its a bit early for De Gea, Wilshire and Hazard and Aguero is coming off a pretty poor season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Is this on rte player or anywhere can't find it.

Is this on rte player or anywhere can't find it.

Not much good to you now but it was just on Setanta Sports Ireland, finished half an hour ago. Maybe it will be on again during the week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

spielverlagerung.de have posted their game analysis of the CL final in English. I haven't read it yet but their German analysis is usually very interesting.

Link for those interested in stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

lahalane wrote: »
    I don't see the point in people saying Bayern deserved to have lads sent off. Fact of the matter is that they weren't sent off and Bayern won. There's bad calls in a lot of games, particularly in Champions League knockout stages this year, but it shouldn't take away from Bayern being the European Champions.
    Of course it takes away from it (not that they'll care). If the referee had got the key decisions in the game right, Bayern almost certainly wouldn't have won.

CSF wrote: »
    Of course it takes away from it (not that they'll care). If the referee had got the key decisions in the game right, Bayern almost certainly wouldn't have won.

You could argue that Dortmund should have been knocked out against Malaga because their winner was offside?

Lots of decisions go against teams but you just have to get on with it and accept it. It only takes away from it if you're nitpicking. I'm sure every winner has had some luck like that at some stage, maybe not in the final but along the way.

Advertisement