Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why can't I back up camcorder to computer

Options
  • 01-05-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I can't view files saved to computer from JVCcamcorder.
    I didn't upload with camera software - just transferred from the external drive straight Video folder.
    However either using Movie Maker or Windows Media Player all I get is audio sound - no picture.

The files are saved as .MOD files.

Can anyone advise what format files should be saved in and what program should be used to save/view them.

Much obliged....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Quick google finds http://www.wikihow.com/Work-with-JVC-.MOD-Files
    May be as easy as changing to .MPG although you may need to download codecs
    Suggest making copies before trying this, just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

patg wrote: »
    I can't view files saved to computer from JVCcamcorder.
    I didn't upload with camera software - just transferred from the external drive straight Video folder.
    However either using Movie Maker or Windows Media Player all I get is audio sound - no picture.

The files are saved as .MOD files.

Can anyone advise what format files should be saved in and what program should be used to save/view them.

Much obliged....

VLC Player plays .MOD files for me perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

According to a Wiki page on MOD files:

MOD video can be viewed on a computer with a player that is capable of reproducing MPEG-2 video. This video can be easily authored for watching on a DVD player without recompression, because it is fully compliant with DVD-video standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

Thanks to all the above for the suggestions.
    Unfortunately adjusting the file suffix did not work however I've installed VLC Player as suggested and this seems to be working perfectly.
    Thank you very much for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

patg wrote: »
    Thanks to all the above for the suggestions.
    Unfortunately adjusting the file suffix did not work however I've installed VLC Player as suggested and this seems to be working perfectly.
    Thank you very much for the input.

Vlc player is great... but if you do want to be able to play all types of media files through windows media player, then just google k-lite codec pack and install it. it will allow WMP to play any file then.

We also have a JVC hard disc camcorder that saves files as .mod - and to be honest with you it has to be the most annoying file format for media. It can be a bitch to convert, but the k-lite pack was fine for our needs of just viewing them.

Damn you JVC! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

Access - Haha. I think I share your sentiment.
    Thanks for your tip. I've downloaded codec now too.

... although Windows Media Player not finding the files!! however Rome wasn't built in a day. Damn you Windows 8 on that score. I'm finding it hard to navigate through different platforms / programs. Damn you Windows 8 indeed. But we'll get there...

Anyway - Project #1 JVC files - I think definitely covered now, and I can definitely cross off the list.

Advertisement