Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bros question!!!!

• 01-05-2013 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

This is my first bike which i love to bits.
    At the minute im having a choke problem, which i think is making my bike run to rich. Im using a lot of petrol and when i rev hard, black smoke comes from the exaust (not blue). Today i went for a ride up the sallys gap and it seemed to be not putting out any power and there was a strong smell of fuel from the exaust, so I end up turning around and going home.

Can anybody shed some light on whats going on.
    Could it just be due a good service and a new choke cable?

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Can you explain how you're using the choke? The choke on the Bros I had never worked right, which was a mighty pain in the winter. How long do you leave the choke on after starting the bike? At this time of year and on a day like today it shouldn't need to be on for more than a minute or so. After that you'll be running rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

So should the choke be totally off and the nut under the tank be closed or open when I'm driving? I'm new to bikes so sorry if I seem a bit slow. But I do appreciate your reply. It just seems like when I'm using the choke lever it has a mind of its own and I really just have to use that nut to let more fuel in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

You use choke to start the bike. The minute engine starts warming up you close it. At the moment for me the choke would be on for about 2min max. That is the time it takes me to get out of the estate on a main road. After that throttle is out and no need for choke.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    You use choke to start the bike. The minute engine starts warming up you close it. At the moment for me the choke would be on for about 2min max. That is the time it takes me to get out of the estate on a main road. After that throttle is out and no need for choke.
    Ok thanks. So what way should that little nut be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

xseanx wrote: »
    Ok thanks. So what way should that little nut be?

Iirc the little nut switches between reserve and normal. I don't remember which one is which but horizontal is off.

It should say on it but you don't want to be driving normally on the reserve setting unless you like walking in bike gear :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The nut you speak of is the fuel tap I think, that should be in the On position There should also be a Reserve and an Off position that you should use when parked.
    It sounds to me like the same thing that you hear this time of year with any engine that has been parked up with fuel in it.
    The fuel absorbs water and evaporates over time leaving behind deposits, these could be a kind of varnish or a green slime or sometimes corroded alloy dust.
    Any or all of these deposits eventually block the carb internals, jets or galleries leading to the kind of issues you have described.
    If the jets are blocked then the choke will allow the engine to run (badly).
    The only way around it is to clean the carbs and refit.
    Best to drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel as well not a mix of old and new fuel.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The nut you speak of is the fuel tap I think, that should be in the On position There should also be a Reserve and an Off position that you should use when parked.
    It sounds to me like the same thing that you hear this time of year with any engine that has been parked up with fuel in it.
    The fuel absorbs water and evaporates over time leaving behind deposits, these could be a kind of varnish or a green slime or sometimes corroded alloy dust.
    Any or all of these deposits eventually block the carb internals, jets or galleries leading to the kind of issues you have described.
    If the jets are blocked then the choke will allow the engine to run (badly).
    The only way around it is to clean the carbs and refit.
    Best to drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel as well not a mix of old and new fuel.
    I don't think it's the fuel reserve because when I adjust it, the revs increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

idle adjustment? sorry dont have a bros myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

xseanx wrote: »
    I don't think it's the fuel reserve because when I adjust it, the revs increase.
    Is it a black plastic knurled knob?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is it a black plastic knurled knob?

Yes man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

If it's the idle adjustment your fiddling with, you only need to set that once then you can leave it alone. Once your bike is warmed up, leave it tickover in neutral and adjust it so the rpm is around 1,500 (not sure what it should be for a BROS but somewhere in that region), you only need to adjust it if your bike it cutting out at idle or revving too high at idle.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    If it's the idle adjustment your fiddling with, you only need to set that once then you can leave it alone. Once your bike is warmed up, leave it tickover in neutral and adjust it so the rpm is around 1,500 (not sure what it should be for a BROS but somewhere in that region), you only need to adjust it if your bike it cutting out at idle or revving too high at idle.
    Ok so my choke should be off when warmed up and that idle knob should be adjusted so the bike is at 1500 revs, when idle. correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Yes, then you don't need to go near the knob again unless you're cutting out or revving too high when at idle.

Advertisement