Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expecting problems getting my deposit back

Options
  • 01-05-2013 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm renting a student flat with a shared kitchen/bathroom. There are four other people living here. I'm finished college on the 14th which is more or less bang on the date my rent is paid up too.

I pay 320/m including bills. I gave the landlord a 280e deposit back in October along with a months rent.

I didn't sign a lease or agree to any period of stay.

I text her today and told her I'm finished on the 14th but haven't got a reply.

There is no damage to my room. I'm only here 2 nights a week.

I get a little sheet of paper handwritten every month saying like "Name : Month: Paid 320" and thats it. Most if not all of these have been binned.

Some of the other flat mates pay weekly and some of them had to give much small deposits than I did, like 2 weeks rent instead of a months.

I was meant to move out at Christmas but ended up staying. At the time I asked her whats the deal with my deposit and I was ignored/brushed off around 3 times, stories some former tenants told me have me predicting problems getting my deposit back aswell.

Whats my standing here?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If you didn't sign a lease and seeing as you're there over six months, you have a Part IV tenancy. The notice period you have to give a landlord if you've been in situ for 6-12 months is 35 days http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

The landlord is entitled to 35 days notice and rent (after which deposit should be returned). You've given 14 days. So your deposit basically cancels out rent due in lieu of notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Everyone here is in college and the term ends in 2 weeks, shes hardly going to screw everyone out of money, well I hope not. Its a building with 4 shared flats connected only occupied by students. The college is across the road.

She was showing groups of 4 and 5 people the flat a couple of weeks ago cause they intended on renting it over the summer. She also asked me if I was staying past college term and I told her no.

Thanks for the info , I`ll send her another text tomorrow and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

doesn't matter that your a student and doesn't matter that term ends in two weeks. Notice is notice.

If she decided to withhold rent for you not providing relevant notice that's not screwing anybody out of anything.

If your not aware of the level of notice you must give at a tenant that's your own fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

D3PO wrote: »
    If she decided to withhold rent for you not providing relevant notice that's not screwing anybody out of anything.

Even when she has people moving in when the term ends for the summer? If she's gonna keep peoples deposits without loss of income well then I do think It's being unfair and screwing people out of money.

I know from a law standpoint notice is notice but hopefully she has a gene of decency flowing through her old wrinkly body.

Anyway I might get it back I`ll have to wait and see

Advertisement