Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to GAA Conditioning

Options
  • 01-05-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Just went back playing club football after some time out. Want to lose a bit of excess weight to improve speed but also wish to strengthen up. Finding it difficult to achieve my physical aims as training isn't on a consistant basis lately. anyone have any ideas / experiences of how I could approach this? Willing to join a gym etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

For a start anyway, if you want to lose weight i suggest starting at the diet. It differs, but losing weight/trimming up is 70-80% diet, and 20-30% exercise. Get that in order, add in a bit of gym work and that'll form the basis for your conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

diet is crucial

cut down on bread, carbs

up protein consumption - eggs, fish, meat - have it with every meal, more veg with dinners, salad for lunch

then after that, try compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, chin ups/pull ups, dumbbell bench
    other weight exercises are just window dressing

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    diet is crucial

cut down on bread, carbs

up protein consumption - eggs, fish, meat - have it with every meal, more veg with dinners, salad for lunch

then after that, try compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, chin ups/pull ups, dumbbell bench
    other weight exercises are just window dressing

I would appreciate your views on this as a suitable diet? First two i've already started doing.

Breakfast = Porridge + Banana or Smoothie (berries + organic yogurt + not from concentrate juice.

Snacks = fruit (bananas + apples) rice cakes + nuts.

Dinner = Portion meat + veg + spuds?

Lunch = usually starving so salad isn't enough. any ideas????

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Chicken and brown rice for lunch. Cook it the night before if u want. Try some egg whites scrambled for breakfast. 3 whites one yolk scrambled.
    Go easy on the spuds and root veg.

Snack on cottage cheese. Tub of it for bout 50c in Aldi.

Thanks for your help. Going to have to devise a 'shopping list' over weekend to ensure I dont eat these foods!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you really don't need spuds. cut back on them

buy lots of frozen veg and steam them - broccoli, cauli, green beans, sweetcorn, spinach (aldi is the business for all them)
    fresh veg - pak choi, sweet potato (excellent carb source)

boil two eggs and bring them for lunch, along with salad.
    if you have green leaf salad with tomatoes, cucumber, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds that would fill you nicely
    have oatcakes and peanut butter as a snack

I'd add an egg at breakfast. I try to avoid any sugary carbs then (eg fruit)

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    you really don't need spuds. cut back on them

buy lots of frozen veg and steam them - broccoli, cauli, green beans, sweetcorn, spinach (aldi is the business for all them)
    fresh veg - pak choi, sweet potato (excellent carb source)

boil two eggs and bring them for lunch, along with salad.
    if you have green leaf salad with tomatoes, cucumber, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds that would fill you nicely
    have oatcakes and peanut butter as a snack

I'd add an egg at breakfast. I try to avoid any sugary carbs then (eg fruit)

I eat f all spuds, just didn't get what else I could eat!

Advertisement