Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile wifi hotspot broadband

• 01-05-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi everyone

Looking in to getting a mobile wifi broadband with meteor there hotshot is €59.00 prepay will just need it for weekends here and there so that's why prepay, just wondering has anybody any dealings with this type of broadband?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its midband, not broadband. Often horribly unreliable and slow, dont expect much more than to check emails. It might do better, but often wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ED E wrote: »
    Its midband, not broadband. Often horribly unreliable and slow, dont expect much more than to check emails. It might do better, but often wont.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I have Three midband dongle costs about E22 a month. While not as fast as I'd like, living out where UPC doesn't provide a service I find it reasonably ok but I wouldn't be a huge user of watching videos etc online. Think the 02 dongle provides similar service. I find it useful to be able to bring the dongle with me so always well, usually, can use the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The Huawei E586 is an excellent device, of the selection. allows you to connect up to 5 other devices via wifi. Can also connect to one PC via USB.

I've used it with Three and Meteor [Stradbally] and Meteor won hands down. Three struggled to give over 200Kbps [20KBps~] whereas Meteor gave me a sustained 3+Mbps [300KBps~].

Please note : The device is locked to the network provider of choice. Three WILL NOT unlock mobile routers. I don't know what the other providers do. You might be better off purchasing one NETFREE and bypass the thieves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

RangeR wrote: »
    The Huawei E586 is an excellent device, of the selection. allows you to connect up to 5 other devices via wifi. Can also connect to one PC via USB.

I've used it with Three and Meteor [Stradbally] and Meteor won hands down. Three struggled to give over 200Kbps [20KBps~] whereas Meteor gave me a sustained 3+Mbps [300KBps~].

Please note : The device is locked to the network provider of choice. Three WILL NOT unlock mobile routers. I don't know what the other providers do. You might be better off purchasing one NETFREE and bypass the thieves.

I I was thinking of meteor broadband too , am very weary from boards here of the service , are you happy with it night and day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

NO..... But it really depends on where you are. Living in north Dublin city, I find that it's crap most of the time, but sitting on the Sky Road in Galway it was marvellous !

Smurfjed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I have the meteor broadband 30 GB at 25e on a weeks trial. Subject to 18 month contract if I don't return it! Day 3 and I can't fault it. Watching you tube on TV ipad surfing ipad p.c. It's grand with no problem , I am trying to use it night early morning , in particular evening time , when they are likely to be a lot of use. I think at his stage unless it disapproves dramatically over next couple of days I will probably stay with it....... But with mobile B/B you can never know with more users etc if the thing will slow down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

My experience with Meteor MOBILE INTERNET [It's not broadband :)] is that it's far superior, especially on the E586 rather than a cheaper modem, to the others, especially Three.

I've just realised you dooped me into repeating myself from above :)

Advertisement