Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contemporary shelter belt

• 01-05-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭

Getting rid of huge over grown lleylandi and would like to hear suggestions for something contemporary that also functions well as a shelter belt and protects the house from the wind. The lleylandi are currently 30ft high at least and block all evening sun. Would a combination of an evergreen hedge , approx 6ft high lets say, and deciduous trees such as birch work well? The area in question is approx 12ft from the house

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Getting rid of huge over grown lleylandi and would like to hear suggestions for something contemporary that also functions well as a shelter belt and protects the house from the wind. The lleylandi are currently 30ft high at least and block all evening sun. Would a combination of an evergreen hedge , approx 6ft high lets say, and deciduous trees such as birch work well? The area in question is approx 12ft from the house

Thanks

Bamboo grown as a hedge/shelter belt as an alternative perhaps?

This is a 7 feet tall and 3.5 feet thick bamboo hedge.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

paddy147 wrote: »
    Bamboo grown as a hedge/shelter belt as an alternative perhaps?

This is a 7 feet tall and 3.5 feet thick bamboo hedge.:)

Not bad looking actually thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Bamboo can be very invasive if not kept in check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Bamboo can be very invasive if not kept in check.

Yeah I read this today also.

Any other thoughts? Would ideally like to keep it evergreen to have all year round protection

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yeah I read this today also.

Any other thoughts? Would ideally like to keep it evergreen to have all year round protection

Red Robin,Laurel or Portugese Laurel??

You may have to recondition/improve the soil,after having large lleylandi trees there for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

You've probably looked here already, but just in case:
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about204.html

Advertisement