Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Device to stream from your pc

• 02-05-2013 2:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

I dont know if this is in the right area so feel free to move if it isnt
    Can you get a device that will play movies from your pc to your tv wirelessly?
    I thought the roku did this but it seems to just have built in channels and doesnt have that ability i want
    Is there such a thing or is it all pie in the sky?
    Thanks

Comments

There are dozens of devices that will do it, anything in the 'network media player' or HTPC category. The main difference is supported streaming protocols, video/audio codecs, etc.

Roku should do it with the Plex app. It means you need to be running a Plex server on your PC.

Wifi can be hit and miss for media streaming, how smoothly it works and at what bitrates depends on a lot of factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Live-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B005NYOKC2

It's streaming videos from a PC upstairs to the TV in my kitchen. You can access videos from your PC in a couple of ways:

1) just share the folder that your videos are in and browse to it on the WD player, or

2) set up something like Plex Server on your PC and use their media library for a bit or extra functionality. That way, you get a few handy options like being able to view by "recently added", recently viewed" etc. This is how I use it and it works really nicely.

It also has a Netfix app build into it if you're a Netflix user.

Since I'm using Plex I'm probably going to get a Roku player in the near future for the living room.

Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

have you a ps3/xbox, these kind of devices can do it

if your a wee bit techie, you could build your own device with a raspberry pi for under e40
    loads of options exist

Advertisement